The problem with God.

by Fernando 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fernando
    Fernando

God waits until we are genuinely ready to face hard facts before he opens our minds to just how equally wrong, aberrant and dysfunctional we all are. Mostly we humans are only ready at the lowest point in our lives - often our deathbed. Hence all the suffering we ignorantly cause others and ourselves in the meantime.

This is the reason why (Watchtower) religionists can read Rom 3:22-23 without waking up to themselves and getting it: "For there is no distinction. For all [are dysfunctional] and fall short of the glory of God".

It is only once we have woken up to ourselves that these transformative "free gifts" of the "gospel" make any real sense:

- All my sins (dysfunction) past, present and future are forgiven.

- All my sins were IMPUTED to Jesus.

- Jesus' righteousness is IMPUTED to me.

- Jesus' holiness is IMPUTED to me (an ordinary fallen sinner).

- I did not, and cannot earn, deserve or pay for any of this (using "good" works, merit or money and so on).

No wonder religionists have no idea that repentance is "awareness of my dysfunction" and are woefully ignorant of the above simple "gospel" truths. No wonder religionists are not transformed from within and must default to externalism - cosmetic changes - whitewashed graves.

No wonder Jesus was and is against religion and teaching religion which is called proselytising (Matt 23:15).

Watchtower religionists do not teach the "unabridged gospel" which is called evangelising. They proselytise or teach religion instead.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't get what point you are driving at, but I do know that religion defines "sins." I no longer subscribe to religion.

Eating pork, buying a lottery ticket, or having a little nookie before marriage- I do not recognize these as "sins."

There are things that the law says are wrong, punishable by fines and/or jail terms, there are wrongs done that hurt other people like sneaking around behind your mate's back, punishable by guilt and retribution. But I would not lose sleep over religiously or Biblically defined sins.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do not find that your explanation of the problem that relgionists have is any different from the problem you evidently have, that of believing in things for which there is no proof.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey OnTheWayOut!

I agree that religion/ists are way off when trying to understand and define sin.

They operate in a false framework of walking by ever changing and inane rules (legalism) and a code of morals (moralism). This turns them into supremacist self-righteous hypocrites (camel gulpers) since none of them can keep their own endless list of silly pedantic rules (gnat straining).

We are certainly better off going by common sense instead (not hurting others as you say).

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think the problem with God is you need to change your understanding of God.

God is something other than you and most people imagine.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey Phizzy!

Some may rightly say that the personal proofs I have are subjective (experienced) and phenomenological (observed). Interestingly much scientific research based on phenomenological methods and observations is accepted into evidence.

I now know intimately and personally what genuine faith and spirituality are.

I know how I have been transformed from within in a way religion never could help me.

My lifelong and intergenerational addiction to supremacist, self-righteous, inane and seductive religion has been beaten.

My mental health has improved.

My ignorance has greatly reduced. My prejudice has greatly reduced.

I have gone from conservative to liberal - for me the change has been as radical as a sex change! I have gone from closed-minded to open minded. I have gone from anti-gays to pro-gays (the person, not the orientation).

I no longer recognise the religious walls dividing Christians, Jews and Muslims as valid or even supported by their own common scriptures and (Abrahamic) faith.

I have come to trust and accept genuine science as a creation of God and a perennial enemy of religion, whilst very compatible with human spirituality and unravelling its unfolding mysteries.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

"Sin" is a manmade concept created to control the masses. Sin leads to guilt. Guilt is a powerful tool used to lead people down a particular path.

According to the fairytale, we are all born into sin thanks to dear old great-grandpa Adam. Because of this we are all deserving of death at conception. There is nothing we can do to prevent this on our own.

Thankfully (sarcasm) dear old YHWH sent his own son to die for us miserable, good-for-nothing sinners. All you have to do is follow his commandments as prescribe in this book written by men and you'll be a-ok. If you don't, well then to hell with you!

Not only is sin ridiculous, but so is the concept of an entire species being doomed by the actions of one man. That is like locking up people in prison because their great-grandfather was a convicted felon and for no other reason.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Biblically speaking, Jesus, not religion, is the truth. There is no "true religion". The truth is personalized in Jesus Christ. The Watchtower Society, and other religions as well, are not in harmony with scripture by claiming religious exclusivity.

Jesus said "I am the way and the truth and the life" at John 14:6. It's pretty simple, really.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey rocketman!

Indeed. Even that rascal Rutherford knew this. He was not quite as dumb as the current ruling religious clergy class, and clearly taught that ALL "religion is a snare and a racket" (in his books "Enemies" 1937 and "Religion" 1940).

The "true religion" versus "false religion" concept was a very expedient invention and move by slick conman and Watchtower lawyer Hayden C Covington in the early 50's to secure religious privileges at law whilst doping and fencing in the Watchtower's flock.

To this day the spiritually inebriated Watchtower flock still believe that legally defending and establishing religion is the same as legally defending and establishing the "good news"!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

You summed up the core of Christianity well. This is the essential message of Christianity. Grace is a concept unknown to the Witnesses. We were not taught salvation aside from slaving in field service and always, always coming up short. God;s love is a gift. Jehovah can never forgive us. His quality is not mercy (shades of Portia in The Merchant of Venice).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit