Is it Possible to be Agnostic, Behaviorally?

by leavingwt 42 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

knowsnothing: You make some good points and ask some good questions. I suppose I'm trying to better understand the position of the person who holds no belief(s) in any god(s), but rejects the label "atheist". (I fully understand the real-world, negative consequencs of self-idnetifying as such, but I'm speaking of the accuracy of the term.)

• tec
    tec
    My issue is that theists (in general) claim that their beliefs make their behaviours and thoughts "better" or "higher" than those of athiests or agnostics. Otherwise, why else would they subscribe to them? In view of this claim, I've spent alot of time watching here in recent months and I honestly see very little evidence of the truth of that claim.

I guess some might make that claim... I don't know of anyone on here who makes that claim though. I have seen many state that belief or faith in God makes their own behavior or thoughts better than what their personal behavior and thoughts were before they looked to Christ or God. A few on here have openly stated that they are often worse than those around them (atheist, agnostic, or theist)... definitely not better or higher than anyone... and so need Christ or God to help them to "be better". An admission of weakness and/or need rather than a claim to be better.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think being an atheist has made me a better person. I'm more aware, less judgmental and feel the heavy responsiblity to carefully consider my behavior and the consequences. Nobody is going to clean up my messes, no matter how much people pray about it, and this is the only chance we have, better make it a good one. I am more grieved over injustice, because I don't think there is something better waiting, so I feel a greater responsiblity to relieve suffering I'm aware of.

That doesn't mean I didn't have those feelings when I believed, it just means they have been magnified. Everything is just so much more important now.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit