Is it Possible to be Agnostic, Behaviorally?

by leavingwt 42 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Does he list in his article what he considers atheist or theist behavior, Leaving? I think that is the point that has people kind of shaking their heads.

Peace

tammy

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

In the case of James saying an agnostic holds that it is not possible to know whether or not god exists couldn't the answer to question number 2 be, "I neither believe nor disbelieve. I accept that I don't know."

• therevealer
    therevealer

I would have to check on the watchtower meaning of the words in question. One can simply not rely on worldly definitions. And any new light would have to be consedered also.

• undercover
    undercover

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

Apatheism (a portmanteau of apathy and theism/atheism ), also known as pragmatic atheism or (critically) as practical atheism , is acting with apathy, disregard, or lack of interest towards belief or disbelief in a deity . Apatheism describes the manner of acting towards a belief or lack of a belief in a deity; so applies to both theism and atheism. An apatheist is also someone who is not interested in accepting or denying any claims that gods exist or do not exist. In other words, an apatheist is someone who considers the question of the existence of gods as neither meaningful nor relevant to his or her life.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Tammy: Several have commented here in a manner that counters Shermer's position in a reasonable manner, IMHO. IOW, yes, one can indeed be agnostic, behaviorally.

As does this comment, from the post:

The behavioral distinction between an atheist and a believer can be very subtle, while distinguishing them as different intellectual positions is straightforward.

Moreover, one can certainly act as if “there might be a God” (for example by being careful not to commit blasphemy, but never actually praying), which entails that agnostocism can as well be considered a behavioral position (subtlty) distinct from atheism or faith.

The distinction between atheism and agnosticism as intellectual / behavioral positions appears to be very weak. Actually any intellectual position can be considered a behavioral one, as far as “engaging intellectual discussions” is considered a certain kind of behavior.

http://www.skepticblog.org/2012/04/10/are-you-an-atheist-or-agnostic/#comment-75200

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I only believe,( put my trust in), that which I can prove to be true to my satisfaction, so, for that reason you may call me an Atheist.

Does this position affect me behaviourally ?

Yes, when I was believer I would pray, I do not do that now. When I was abeliever I did many things because I believed they pleased god. Some of those things I still do, some I don't, but what I do , I do because I want to.

I think the Agnostic position that says we can not possibly ever know god makes sense, of course I would add "If there really was one".

The Agnostic must necessarily be affected like me in behaviour, why pray to the unknowable, for instance ?

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    If one does not hold any belief in any gods, he or she is an atheist, by (dictionary) definition.

Life is too big to be limited by a strict definition.

Agnostic is not limited to "Agnostic Atheist". Since there are a whole range of beliefs out there, I will again simply repeat what I told you. The second question is framed wrong.

You can ask

Do you believe in spirits?

Do you believe in gods?

Etc, etc.

• james_woods
    james_woods

(2) Do you believe in god? No, I’m an atheist.

I would answer this quite simply: No, I'm an agnostic.

Reason being - you cannot "believe" in a god concept if you believe it is not possible to know if it exists or not.

I would answer the question "Do you believe in flying saucers?" the same way.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Because it may have been missed in my long post... I know atheists who pray, and I know theists who do not. Prayer is not a behavior that can define a theist from an atheist.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    The Agnostic must necessarily be affected like me in behaviour, why pray to the unknowable, for instance ?

And yet, if one allows for a possibility of a deity, praying to the unknowable would be like talking a chance. Like sending a message in a bottle, in the hopes someone would receive it, whosoever it may be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit