Are Jehovah's Witnesses fundamentalists?

by Celestial 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yeah, just clarify a bit on what you interpret as "literal". . .

Flood, talking snake, etc. = literal

Dragon, hallucinated beasts, etc. = not literal

Oh yeah, I forgot. . .

144,000 = literal

• mindseye
    mindseye

I always went back and forth as to whether JWs are fundamentalists. There seems to be an obvious political element to most fundamentalist groups. JWs avoid this, as they don't vote, lobby, or protest to keep evolution and other things from being taught in public school. But using the wikipedia definition of Fundamentalism - a strict adherence to specific theological doctrines usually understood as a reaction against Modernist theology - I would definitely classify the Witnesses as fundamentalists.

The term comes from an series of Protestant publications from the early 20th century called the Fundamentals. In addition to attacking 'evolutionism', higher criticism, and liberal theology, these early Fundamentalists also attacked the early Bible Students who eventually became Jehovah's Witnesses.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I think fundamentalists try to live as close to possible up to an "ideal". We can have a Muslim fundamentalist, a Jewish fundamentalist . . how do those differ from a Christian fundamentalist? The don't. Just different ideals.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are definately trying to live up to a perfect ideal. An ideal of a "True Christian"; complete with women can only wear dresses and skirts to the knees and 30 magic hours a month make you a blessed person for pioneering!

So, yes, JWs are fundamentalist.

Skeeter

• blondie
    blondie

I think the WTS really hones in on the 24 hour creative day that some fundamentalists believe; but then the old 7,000 year creative day and the now ambigious thousands of years, is not much better.

• undercover
    undercover

I think the WTS really hones in on the 24 hour creative day that some fundamentalists believe; but then the old 7,000 year creative day and the now ambigious thousands of years, is not much better.

The WTS is in a pickle when it comes to creation. Creationists, the literal 6 day folk, make the WTS squirm. Because those people come off looking like loonies. The WTS doesn't want to be associated with that, so they denounce the Creationists as too literal and not taking science into account. Yet they conveniently overlook their own history of promoting 7,000 year long "days".

What they hope no one notices is that in the course of millions and millions of years, there's not a big difference between the Creationists account of creation vs the WTS account. They're only separated by 43,000 or so years.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Celestial:

I do consider them to be but they may not see themselves as such. They don't like that term and want to distinguish themselves from other christian sects. Even though they supposedly don't interpret every bible passage as literal, they are too changeable with their beliefs. They are like an amoeba that changes shape when it suits them.

I once was friends with a man who called JWs part of "radical christianity". So, that about says it all.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Just about everybody that calls himself a fundamentalist these days will tell you that 2 of those fundamentals are a belief in the Trinity and belief in Salvation by Grace alone. JW's do not accept either one of these.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There are so many ways of defining fundamentalism. Rather than describe their views, they are highly insulting to other fundies. They go further than I would. Someone did a study of Supreme Court's use of definitions in their opinions. They use about ten different dictionaries and the usage coincides with what strengthens their argument rather than a belief that any one dictionary, including the Oxford English, is the best.

They are outside the Fundamentalist movement in the United States. They are outside every movement, however. We know their emphasis is on WT lit rather than the Bible. I would love to know the scriptures they do not take literally. It would be easier to exclude. I see only literal interpretations. Well-the prophecies give them free license.

In my opinion, they are more fundamentalist than not fundamentalist.

• TOTH
    TOTH

Fundementalist implies that they have their beliefs rooted in some valid teaching or set of values and they stick to the basics of that teaching. Following the teachings of the wt does not qualify. IMHO anyways...

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

They took the "Fun" out of "Funamentalist."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit