How to counter a stupid illustration in the Bible Teach Book

by NVR2L8 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

The Bible Teach book uses the example of a math teacher who is challenged by a student who disagrees on how to resolve a math problem. The teacher then lets him attempt to prove his point knowing that he can only fail. The object of the exercise is to show the rest of the students that the teacher is right - that there is only one way to resolve the math problem....This is likened to Jehovah letting Satan exercise his power over the world so that the entire universe can witness his failure and that only Jehovah's ways lead to happiness...

Instead of maths, what if the teacher taught chemistry and a student would want to prove that the teacher is wrong when he says that certains chemicals can't be mixed without causing an explosion that would wipeout the school...would any sane, responsible, loving teacher allow such a student to experiment and wipeout the whole class just so the teacher can prove he was right? Isn't this what Jehovah is doing? Letting billions of people suffer and die just to prove to the angels that he is right. Who else is he proving something to? Surely no one on earth since no one is aware of this sovereignty challenge taking place in heaven....except of course for the JWs.

In the same chapter you can read that Jehovah does not intervene to prevent evil because it would make things look like Satan is right and that this old system is succeeding and he would be supporting the lie. So dad has several sons and he tells them to stay away from the river bank because they could fall in and drown. The oldest son tells his 5 year old brother that it is safe to play by the river, that he won't drown...and the boy falls in. What kind of a father would let the boy drown just to prove to all his other sons that he was right. Or what king of a father would refuse to save the boy because it would make it seem like the older son was right in telling the boy that he wouldn't drown....

It is so strange that I read this several times without ever clueing in on the insanity of such reasoning...and now I can clearly see the deceptive reasoning used by the WT.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Good eye for false analogies!

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Thanks boc,

My son's personal copy of the book was left on the kitchen table and the page was folded...so I took a look and these 2 illustrations just jumped at me eventhough I was familiar with them I had never given them much thought since I was trained to accept without question everything I read from the WT..

• biometrics
    biometrics

Picture this illustration:- instead of math the subject was religion, and you were studying with Jehovah's Witnesses. You argued that you could run the organization better than the GB (despite the fact you're a drunkard, and have never run a business before). You're a great public speaker and very charismatic ...

Ooops I think they've tried that one before.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

They've used similar illustrations that don't stand up at all to criticism.

In this case, it's straightforward that the teacher is supposed to be Jehovah. Is the student supposed to be Satan or Adam or Eve. Certainly in the case of a classroom situation, the "rebellious student" would be proven wrong in a few minutes, with no harm done. However, in the Bible situation, it's much more a case that the "teacher" Jehovah packed up and left the room for thousands of years. He's only looked in occasionally to see that things were getting bad as evil students had begun murdering good students, so he turned on the sprinkler and drown all but a couple of the students. Over the centuries, many students kept hoping the teacher would return to rescue them... but he never did. The teacher left a note that he'd return very, very soon, but the message is thousands of years old. So, has the teacher proven that he knows how to solve any math problems? Nope.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Excellent reply to it! I love that. I will use it when i can.

• Joliette
    Joliette

I HAAAAAAATTTTTTEEEE those stupid, mind numbing reverse proganada articles that they come up with in those watchtower publications! Cannot staaaaand them!!

Well, Jehovah is like the ground, the grass, the sky, the trees...you couldnt live with out the ground and the....oh, STFU!

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Lol, Joliette!

• Joliette
    Joliette

^ Chemical Emotions, right? LOL. I get so sick of the passive aggressive illustrations that the use to get people fooled.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Me too. And I hate it when the Dubs use those illustrations so proudly when talking with a "worldly", as if it was the cleverest thing they'd heard in their life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit