What made you leave?

by CuriousUK 40 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

What me me leave? Lies, Hypocrisy, Nepotism, lack of love and a corrupt organisation from the top down.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Some have told me that THE GREAT WATCHTOWER CONTRADICTION was a wakeup call to them although that 11 minute read is actually designed for newly interested ones.

Len

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

series of events it took me about two years to go from.... I need a break to............. they are a cult.

Lack of love from the congregation and elders. Kill the lost sheep not leave the 99 and save it.

Then I started doing research and read read and read... Light went on

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I got simply burnt out by all the requirements they made of everyone. I began to hate book study and KMS/Service Meeting nights because it meant that I had to start on my homework the minute I got in, a quick dinner, preparation for the meeting, and of course, the meeting itself. By the time we got home it was just about bedtime for us kids. To make a bad situation worse, our weekends were consumed by service and the Sunday meeting. When I openly wondered why we couldn't just have Sunday meeting like everyone else, I got labelled as having a bad attitude. Later, when I started working, I found the Society's program even more restricting. I knew I could never marry inside the system because I'd be constantly badgered from another source. That led me to question things more, and found the answers I needed to make a break.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

For me, like many, it was a progressive series of revelations and discoveries that the WTBTS are not what they claim to be, but are in fact a hypocritical group of lying frauds on power trips that seem to enjoy manipulating and guilting people.

That being said, if there was any one particular moment when I REALLY new it was all bs was around 2002-2003 when I found out about the WTBTS's involvement with the United Nations as an NGO. (See Watchtower's United Nations Association)

The hypocrisy! I was stunned, shocked, speechless. I tried to talk to my wife (a born-in JW) about it but she refused to listen. For so many years they kept saying that the UN was the scarlet colored beast and that false religion was prostituting itself by being involved. If you or I were to join the YMCA to go swimming we'd be DF'd for apostasy and yet the WTBTS was whoring it up with the UN for over a decade!!!!

From that moment forward, the pieces just kept clicking into place that it was all just a pack of lies! Still, it took me six or seven years to get out and I have to admit my exit was messy.

00DAD

• CuriousUK
    CuriousUK

I'm finding this fascinating - thank you to all who have replied so far. It gives me hope that my JW will hopefully begin to see the light at some point (he's an intelligent man, working as a plumber and an electrician, so he should be!)

I have really appreciated the insights, thank you x

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Russell's book, Thy Kingdom Come!!! After reading it, I knew that JWs never told me what Russell really believed and taught and I was conned. Within a very short period of time, I stopped all meetings and began doing research which obviously made me leave the cult. Truth truly sets one free.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Those that leave can broadly be lumped into two groups, those that leave because of doctrine (logical reasons) and those that leave because they are mistreated (emotional reasons).

Which kind of person is your JW? I left because of doctrine. Blood transfusion restrictions while allowing fractions was something I struggled with for years before finally allowing my mind to explore it fully. That is the problem, the WT does a good job of indoctrnation, to the point where logic is set aside and the excuse of "waiting on Jehovah" allows the JW to continue. Once I did fully explore doctrine, everything came tumbling down like a house of cards. If you find the right card, your JW may respond. But be warned if they have a lot to lose (career, family, etc) by exploring these ideas, they may reject them (and you) immediately.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I came home one day and found the house empty...................

The Elders reminded me of my Christian Way Of Life and How I must Live And Act and PRAY Just PRAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I awoke right about...........................................................then!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Charlie Brown, that's rather cryptic about the empty house. Care to elucidate?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit