NEW LAW Starting July 2012 in Qld Australia Preventing Door to Door Sales

by Hopscotch 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

If the dude's Canadian that's even worse for not knowing how a fellow Commonwealth country works!

• Gayle
    Gayle

In the U.S., I thought the "No Trespassing!" sign was so suppose to keep even JWs away ?

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

@ Gayle, the BOE was sent a letter in 2007 ( I think) that more or less said "if you go onto property posted as "no trespassing"" you are on your own, and we wont represent you with the legal issue". They would however represent the brothers in various freedom of speech issues like the Stratton vs Ohio case.

Now that I think of this, is this not the same as saying that the Society will "claim you as its representative" for freedom of speech issues but not as its representative for any other issue? Kind selective and typical

SIAM

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

BP,

The term "Commonwealth" means very little when it comes to this sort of thing.

A number of countries of the "Commonwealth" do, in fact, have a Bill of Rights - for example (and this is by no means a comprehensive list):

- Canada, 1960.

- New Zealand, 1990.

- South Africa, 1996.

- and of course, the grandaddy of the lot, England, 1689.

Conversely, there are other Commonwealth countries in which you are free to do little more than as you are told.

You were correct about one thing:

- a little education never hurt anyone!

FYJ

Bill.

• steve2
    steve2

Go easy on BP folks: He's Australian. It explains a lot: He's used to those wide open dusty and dry spaces where you can shout epithets across the wilting landscape and the only ones who hear you are dingoes and wombats. steve (from lush and sensitively green New Zealand where even the trees have rights).

• smiddy
    smiddy

This article regarding this proposed law was also reported in the Herald Sun newspaper in victoria which stated the law did not apply to certain groups which included religous bodies which were exempt.And in the victorian poll which was conducted I didn`t see one objection against religous callers,it was all about unscroupulous salespeople preying on the elderly to get roof cleaning,household repairs,energy suppliers,offering cheaper deals,phone companies,etc.etc.

Religous callers didn`t come into the equation,which surprised me, and as I said, as far as I know ,religions at this stage are exempt from this proposed law.

smiddy

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

BP's actually a she

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Coming back to the topic of this thread(!):

- smiddy is probably correct about the proposed law not applying to religious organisations.

Previous consumer legislation regarding door-to-door sellers (aimed primarily at encyclopedia sales people) was in practice not enforced when it came to religious matters. The rationale of the time was that "the sums of money involved were very small." i.e. Awake or Watchtower at five cents a copy.

Bill.

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Is that the real James Penton, or is someone using his name as a handle?

• yesidid
    yesidid

Yes Sic, it is the REAL James Penton.

We have been through this before and it was proven that this James Penton is the famous one we all (or most of us) know and respect.

y

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit