NEW LAW Starting July 2012 in Qld Australia Preventing Door to Door Sales

by Hopscotch 34 Replies latest jw friends

• yesidid
    yesidid

This reminds me of a saying: It's better to be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove it beyond doubt.

BP I assume you have never made a mistake, are you always so rude, or is it just on this forum?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

BP I assume you have never made a mistake, are you always so rude, or is it just on this forum?

All the above.

It annoys me greatly when Americans assume the rest of the world is just like them. A little education never hurt.

• yesidid
    yesidid

For your continuing education, Jim Penton is not American.

For your further education you may wish to google Jim Penton.

Below is the link to what Wikipedia has to say about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Penton

This is the first paragraph:

James Penton is a professor emeritus of history at the University of Lethbridge in Lethbridge , Alberta , Canada and the author of three books on the history of Jehovah's Witnesses . Although raised in the religion, he was expelled in 1981 on the grounds of apostasy after criticizing some of the teachings and conduct of the religion's leadership.

• blondie
    blondie

I do believe that James Penton is Canadian if he is this James Penton who I have met. He has written several books about the WTS.

He began work on Apocalypse Delayed: The Story of Jehovah's Witnesses soon afterwards, but halted his research and writing in 1979 after developing concerns over what he viewed as a growing punitive response of the religion's leadership to doctrinal dissent from within its ranks. [1] He resumed work on the book after his expulsion and it was published in 1985. In 2004 he published Jehovah's Witnesses and the Third Reich: Sectarian Politics under Persecution, which highlights what he claims are discrepancies between the religion's official history of its opposition to Nazism during World War II and documented facts. [10] He has edited two journals, written five articles about Jehovah's Witnesses and also wrote the Canadian Encyclopedia's entry about the religion. [11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Penton

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

As I recall from college years Aussie system is based on a "Washminster" system. Not exactly Westminster as we don't have a House of Lords. But we have a Constitution which James may have been referring to and I agree with his statement that laws are being changed under the guise of antiterror or in this case privacy but these changes often have implications that we did not intent....

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Oh and we have a High Court which sits above all as was painfully brought out in 1975 when the Govenor General sacked the elected goverment under the advice of the H C!!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I imagine the motive behind the law is harassment and before long it will include any solicitation....

I bet a million Australian dollars the society don't tell the western white brothers to ignore the law and preach on until jail. Too much publici and hassle. Street and beach work ?

With the door to door work proving SO ineffective and the reduction in magazines, I do wonder whether they are devising a new plan. I am convinced they will soon go to a fully digital download for the literature and save millions and millions of dollars.

Maybe preaching will take on a different form, just bibles and invites to meetings ? Maybe just posting invites through doors and street preaching? I don't know, but I am sure they will change, for the door to door work is as dead as a......door.

Snare x. Ps I freaking LOVE QLD, One day I shall own a house overlooking Byron Bay or somewhere along that stretch of paradise x

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

yesidid,

Well said!

BP, also, would do well to remember: "Always engage brain before putting mouth into gear."

(And a little education very definitely never hurt anyone!)

Bill.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

I wonder how many Aussie JW's who read this article are secretly thinking "please make this law apply to religious peddlers as well"!

Hopscotch

• Listener
    Listener

For a number of years now Australians have been able to register their phone number on a 'do not call' register. This means any salesperson is not able to call that number. Non profit organizations seeking donations and companies calling only for research purposes are still allowed to phone. JWs do not see themselves as sales people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit