Do COs have a cushy life?

by A question 36 Replies latest jw friends

• A question
    A question

Do COs (and DOs) have a cushy life in comparison with other JWs, or others in fulltime service?

It could be said that they do, since they have an apartment provided for them, meals out, green handshakes, and invites to social gatherings. It could also be said that they do not, since they may have to live in a different house every week, accept whatever food they're given, and they have a lot more meetings than the average JW.

Specific examples are appreciated. Thank you.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

dollarwise: YES

materialwise: YES

easy lifestyle: YES

Mentally speaking: NO (their wives never feel at ease)

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

ours expenses to the KH (in other words they itemize the bills and KH gives them a check):

dry cleaning

food

gas

Verizon tripple play: Cable/Internet/Phone bill

tolls

hair cuts

and much more

• Zordino
    Zordino

Its not that much of a Cushy Life in my MHO. I could see that kind of Lifestyle getting Tiring very Quick. I think its more of a prestige thing. They go to different Halls every week and are treated Like Rock Stars by the R & F. Its Like Jesus himself is visiting for God sakes!

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Circuit overseers wives are renowned for being 'delicate'. I know probably about 12 COWs, and only 2 are healthy mentally and physically - in my opinion.

I think it's a horrible life. No permenant home. 'Ministry' being the focus of your life. Having to listen to your husband give the three same talks about 20 times each. - Can you imagine the brain numbing, soul crushing boredom?

• therevealer
    therevealer

I agree with Sapphy - You couldn't pay me enough to do it. YUK

• cheerios
    cheerios

not to mention no retirement or any other option for when they arent COing or DOing

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think it is a very cushy life.

Very few of them live in a different home each week. Circuits now build or buy/rent houses or apartments for them from which they commute to each congregation. Yes, the commute may get to be a drag to the further out congos however they are provided with a free late model vehicle and have no worried about the cost of any repairs or fuel since they are supported 100% by the congos and circuit. Any need and usually anything they desire is paid for by others.

They have Monday and 1/2 of Tuesday "off". They do have that additional meeting EVERY week, whereas we only have it when we have the CO twice per year. They have Field Service with the congo 3 full days (5 hours) each week plus 1/2 day Sat & Sun. Typical JW has FIVE full days of secular work, and then one weeknight meeting, one FW night at home, plus is expected to be in FS on Sat and/or Sun and make the Sunday meeting. If he's an elder, the working brother has a new talk to prepare every week or so in his spare time plus other congregation responsibility such as shepherding (I don't think that's really being done anywhere, but it is supposed to happen). I don't know of COs involved in sheperding anymore as they were in the past. On the other hand, the CO gives the same talks over and over for 20 weeks.

Their meals are prepared for them. And even after all their expenses are covered, they are showered with monetary gifts. No need for secular work.

Cushy IMHO.

Doc

• ssn587
  • scotoma
    scotoma

It's a crappy life. Most go into it because of the prestige rewards. But that wears off real quick.

Prestige for males at some evolutionary level means access to females. But, if you can't really cash in on the sex the rewards become thin.

The circuit overseers wives who crave a circle of female friends feel totally alienated. When I was a little boy we often provided accomodations for the circuit overseers. My bedroom was next to the bedroom they would use. I overheard the wife of Lowell Yeats complain that no one at the halls ever talk to her. He told her that she needs to walk up to other sisters and introduce herself. She told him that's crazy because they know who she is.

The only ones that stay in the traveling work are those who have Gypsy blood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit