Dallas (DFW area) members - BREAKING NEWS: TORNADOES IN AREA

by SweetBabyCheezits 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Violia
    Violia

My aunt had a cellar and that is where they went for storms. It was in the backyard , underground. They live in west Texas and the storms are very violent and Tornado's are common. If you have the money and own your property you can get a cellar dug , unless it violates any city codes in your town. That is about all I know a person can do here in Texas. Very few people have basements here b/c of the shifting ground. I'm not saying there is not one basement in all of Texas, but I've never seen one. I recently saw a program on one of the discovery channels ( I think) about a safe room- an above ground cellar.

http://www.stormsaferoom.com/

unless you can afford to do dig a cellar then the interior bathroom ( get in the tub and cover with mattress ) is all the safety I have. Some will say a interior hallway or closet will work too.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Well, after the weather cleared in our county, I took my Honey to eat at Waffle House.

I have a couple of very rich customers who have basements. One of the problems is drainage and of course the water table, so these houses are higher up on hills. I have several others tho that have 'Safe Rooms' with reinforced concrete walls and ceilings. Some have actual safes in there, telephone hook-ups and panic buttons. One of them, you first entered a huge walk-in closet, then pushed and released 2 times on a section of the wood paneled walls -- presto -- the door would open ! Perfectly balanced !

We really dodged the bullet today. It makes me sad and a little angry to see a victim being interviewed -- everyone of them is THANKING GOD ! I.E. well, I only had my home destroyed, I only lost 3 family members instead of all, the tornado (god) took almost everyones home except mine...etc.,etc. We sure were lucky ! Really !?

God must have been protecting us...? Did He 'save' anybody ? Or, was it common sense to get in the tub, or away from windows, or to watch the weather reports ?

Ah, now I understand the 'fear of god' -- just look what 'He' can do.

Anyways we are OK and doing the best we can.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Are there methods of reinforcing the "core" room of existing homes, to make it more "tornado-resistant"???

• Quentin
    Quentin

Hey Rabbit glad you and the missis are ok....Had the same storm system blow through Weatherford. All we got was lots of heavy rain. I was leaving Ft. Worth drove into the strom as it headed North East. Ever do 70 mph on the Interstate in a heavy rain? It's skeerry. Should have my head examined.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Only just seen this thread...hope you are all safe and sound...my thoughts are with you all.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Called Terry this afternoon, he recently moved to Arlington, said they dodged the bullet and were doing fine. James Woods good to hear your ok....

Rabbit don't you know God spends all his time making sure the details are kept in order. You know, what type of sex is allowed with your mate, blood , Gay's God got no time for the BIG things. Besides, if we don't follow the details we deserve to get slam dunked with tornado's and earthquakes.

Am sending out positive thoughts to all our JWD friends caught up in the weather. Be safe.

• soft+gentle
  • talesin
    talesin

I'm glad to see so many have checked in. We haven't heard from Heathen,,, hope you're okay dude!

tal

• still thinking
    still thinking

Oh my goodness...I am watching this on the news here in NZ...how terrifying this must be. That is some powerful weather.

• talesin
    talesin

btt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit