Memorial

by TOTH 15 Replies latest jw friends

• TOTH
    TOTH

The memorial is back and I KNOW I am going to be harassed into taking my father in law to it. I refused last year and I have every intention of NOT going this year too. It is just so frustrating to me that he has a pioneer for a supposed wife who can take ALL the other sisters to doctor appointments and shopping and gets high praise for this by the congregation even as she neglects her sick husband. She will take him to the memorial as long as he sits in the van as she makes her pick up rounds. This is hard on him. So the big answer is ME. I did this for a few years but got fed up the last time I went which was two memorials back.

Last year I feigned illness. And I still got nagged up to the last minute to take him. I feel bad for him but why must I endure the ridiculousness of it all so SHE can be patted on the back for neglecting HER responsibilty. Why am I the only one that can do it when there are over 100 jw's in the congregation, one being his wife and another being his brother who lives next door to him.

Am I being an asshole for not wanting to take him anymore?

• cantleave
    cantleave

No you are not being an asshole. Ask them to take you to a Christmas Carole concert and see what answer you get!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Am I being an asshole for not wanting to take him anymore?

Definitely not.

You have 5 more days to plan a get out of jail free card.

Good Luck

• nugget
    nugget

No this is not your faith or your responsibility. If they ask then say to them your priority is to look after one another and then everyone else not the other way around.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

It is HER responsibility ! You should not feel shamed into doing it at all . Let another Witness come and drive him it is their little party not yours .

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If you go, you will be wasting your time. And it will be another way to guilt you into going next year, and the next, and the next--right up until the Age of Capricorn dawns in another 2,300 years or so. It will keep you from getting 100% out of the cancer, while opening the door for Brother Hounder to waste your time dragging you back in. The answer is no, and you should stick to it.

Alternatively, if you live in the United Tyranny of Stupidity, explain that due to Osama ObamaCare, section 9006, you will have to write up a 1099 form for taking him. Figure 30 digit daily inflation and a starting value of your time, energy, whatever psychic and spiritual damage and opportunity cost, and the risk of having this repeat every year as worth more than 600 toilet papers (the cutoff). I bet that, if he thinks the IRS is going after him for "taxable income", it will be the last time. If you still get stuck dragging him, go and write up a 1099 form (they can be downloaded) and watch him sweat it out when January 2013 comes along.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Maybe you could ask them why they never read John Chapter 6 at the Memorial?

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

No you're not an a-hole in the least and if she gives you too much grief throw 1 Timothy 5:8 in her face.

Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.

Also

Do you live close enough that they know when you're home?

If not, tell them you've got to go out of town last minute then turn off your phone and have a wonderful evening.

BWAHAHAHA

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Have they phoned you to arrange a pick up? I think it is rude of her to assume you will be available, considering you weren't planning on going to the Memorial. She needs to respect your boundaries and focus on the well being of her ill husband instead of her outward appearance. If she wants to pick up others, she could drop off her husband first so he isn't inconvenienced, or arrange a ride for him with someone else who was planning on going. You're not being an a-hole.

• TOTH
    TOTH

ya...HE is the one who calls. She tells him she will take him EARLY but it is too hard on him. going WITH her on her route is too hard on him. He is in lots of pain, the poor guy. I FEEL bad for him, but I am DONE with that Phoney Faith and the guilt. I appreciate all your input. THANKS!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit