Is it just me or is the GB asking for money more directly.

by life is to short 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• life is to short
    life is to short

OK soI grew up in the religion and I remember so often the churches being slammed at the meetings for passing the plate and how they shamelessly begged for money. How we as Jehovah's Witnesses are so much better because we NEVER ask for money and the contribution box is sort of hidden in the back of the hall like we were even embarrassed to have to have that. Just the word contribution was so much better than the words the worldly churches used. Everything was free, free Bible studies, etc expect for the WT and Awake it was 10 cents and then 25 cents which sort of confused me as a kid because why were the magazines not free if everything was free but anywho I believed it all because I was told to. Pastor Russell I was told even used to say that if he ever had to ask for money then he would know Jehovah was not with his work.

The Awake of 1973 had this to say about the Catholic Church

(ChurchMoney

♦ Some religious organizations are going to new ends to acquire money. The Coronation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church in Buffalo, New York, now accepts credit cards, not just cash donations. One finance committee member says: "A church can't survive on 50-cent [cash] donations." Credit-card donations are up to $30. Admission is now being charged visitors to London's thirteenth-century Salisbury Cathedral. A London Observer article calls this "a last-ditch attempt to find a way of meeting the desperate need for funds.")

Yet here in the April 2012 KM it says "Beginning this year all conventions will accept debit/credit card donations in addition to cash and checks.

OK so we all knew this was coming but also in the same KM is on page 7 is another part on begging for money. It does not look like this will be a meeting part but it is just thrown in, sort of strangely. It says "Two Coins of Little Value One important way that we support Kingdom interest is by contributing financially to the worldwide preaching work. What if we are of limited means? One on occasion Jesus saw a poor widow contribute to the temple treasury two coins of little monetary value. Love for Jehovah moved her to give "out of her want...all of what she had, her while living." Jesus took note, indicating that her contribution had more value in God's eyes. Similarly, first-century Christians did not view the responsibility of providing financial support for the ministry to be the privilege of only wealthy Christians. The apostle Paul cited the example of the Macedonians who, despite "deep poverty...kept begging...with much entreaty for the privilege of kindly giving." Therefore if we can only contribute 'two coins of little value,' we should remember that many contributions can add up to a large amount. Our giving from the heart will please our generous heavenly Father, for "God loves a cheerful giver."

I just have never remember seeing such a blatant article on asking for money as this one seems to be.

Maybe it has always been there and I was just to blind to see it? I remember when we went to the donation arrangement for the literature my husband and I were pioneering and living on very, very little money. My husband was an elder the only elder at the time and he asked me to get the magazines for service the next day. We had no money to put in the box but I thought I would catch it the next meeting. The brother who was doing the magazines asked me where my money was. The magazine counter we full of people and it seemed like everyone was looking at me. I stammered that I was going to have the money at the next meeting so the brother grabbed the magazines out of my hand and said then at the next meeting you can have them. I could not tell my husband what had happened as he would never believe me and I know the brother would have been too afraid of my husband to pull it on him as he was the only elder. I was so hurt as we spent a ton of money on gas driving around aimlessly in field service and we always packed out our car. I had to lie to my husband about why I did not have the magazines as it would have caused a fight with him as he never believed me when I was treated like garbage by his friends they were never mine.

So years latter it's been about six years ago now, I was still an elders wife at the time and I was walking to my car, this sister who was a little different but still a really nice person with a good heart, she had always treated me kindly more then I could say for most of the other elders wife's. She came up to me and was just talking about really nothing and had in her hands a box with her bound volumes, some the newer video and a couple of other books she had picked up from the literature room. I thought nothing of it until the literature servant came tearing out of the hall clearly looking for her. He came up to us and asked her if she was going to pay for what she had. She was speechless as was I. The brother just stood there looking at her waiting for her to answer. She finally said yes, yes of course. He said well you had better you have about $150.00 dollars worth of stuff there. I was just speechless too. She muttered I did not realize this cost so much the brother said well what would you pay for all of that at Barns and Noble, We both just looked blankly at the brother and he started to itemize what was in her box with the most expensive things that Barns and Noble sell and told her she needed to pay for it and then he stormed back into the hall. This poor sister just looked at me totally humiliated like she was going to cry and I told her not to worry about him that he was wrong and he had no right to do that to her, that Jehovah knew what she had and he was crazy about the Barns and Noble thing, that our things did not cost as much as the worldly books and videos. This poor sister had lost her daughter to a car accident and she was on state help and did not have a lot of money, plus she had just offered her car out in field service to an elder who only owned a two door as there were three elders out during the CO visit and NONE of the elders had a car being this sister was working with the CO's wife she was not going to use her car in service and when she saw that none of those elders had a car she offered her car.

Anyway the whole thing was just unbelievable and I asked my husband who was still an elder at the time if there was some sort of letter that only the elders had on making sure the publishers pay for what they take. My husband swore that there was no such letter but I truly wonder as my husband wants this to be the "truth" so badly that he has overlooked or not let things sink in that clearly spell out this is a cult.

Sorry for how long this turned out.

Just wonder everyone else's take on this.

LITS

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

That's what Jesus would have done. He would have counseled the woman and berated her publicly so that she humiliated. These stories never seen to end

• Matsimus
    Matsimus

Wow! I never thought it could be this bad! I got out at a young age and before I got baptized so I don't have much experience about the donations. I have learned though, that they removed the price on literature to avoid taxation, but witnesses are supposed to contribute after recieving them. It seems to me that they started out as a regular christianity branch, and have evolved into a greedy corporate cult. People with very little money actually gives alot to a corporation with a billion dollars in revenue, and it tears my heart. They have become the very thing they openly rejects and hates, greedy.

Matsimus

• mP
    mP

@wha

I dont get the GB, they grab money for the shareholders and get almost nothing themselves. They work until they die and from what i can tell have above average but not extravagent rooms. No private jets, no dancing girls nothing. Those fools work until they drop, all for nothing.

• ziddina
    ziddina

HA!!

If you want to get a glimpse of the Watchtower Corporation's underlying greed, then pull up a few old threads on their "Charitable Planning" brochure - I think the full title goes something like, "Charitable Planning to Support Kingdom Work Worldwide"...

I gotta feed critters - my dog is doing horizontal cartwheels in the hallway next to the kitchen and my cats are clambering all over me...

Or else I'd do it...

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I would like to say I am surprised but after so many years in the organizaiton, I have seen so much meaness from the elders that I can not see how these "elders" can appoach God in prayer without feeling shame. My poor little mother used to put all the money she got from "selling" the mags in the contribution box. We did not have a lot of money, but she felt she should give it back to God. She bled to death because I chose to honor her belief of not accepting a blood transfusion. I think these elders get off on being oppresive and using their authority in dealing with the members of the congregation. They have no standing in the outside world, usually no,or little education, but they are big shots in the congregation and they play up that role as much as they can. When I was very young, there was a sister whose son was at Bethel; this was in the mid 50s. The congregation servant, an arrogant man, somehow caught her complaining to someone else about him. She was disfellowshipped. She took it real hard. She attended all the meetings faithfully. One night, at the meeting, she started screaming during the meeting, like she went crazy. The ambulance came for her. She died a little while after that. I don't know, but I think the stress of her disfellowshipment killed her. She was a nice lady who left a husband and six children behind. Most of the children remained JWs. I never forgot that night.

I am sorry that you and that sister were treated so badly by that person. Fortunately, I got to tell a CO, who knocked at my door knowing full well that I had been df'd, what I thought of the organization and that I would never return to that place again. I was very well known in my curcuit, several of my nephews and cousins are Bethelites and DO but I still told them what I thought of them.

• Silent_Scream
    Silent_Scream

mP

I dont get the GB, they grab money for the shareholders and get almost nothing themselves. They work until they die and from what i can tell have above average but not extravagent rooms. No private jets, no dancing girls nothing. Those fools work until they drop, all for nothing.

The constant free vacations (branch reports they called them) to places we couldn't even dream of, free delicious 3 square meals daily, green handshakes, power, authority, respect/fear/worship of millions worldwide, and they have the BEST rooms at bethel. Rooms similar to luxury condos that would cost $3000 a month (or even more in NYC), they have, with beautiful views, but pretty soon in an isloated prettier area. The thrill of not being questioned, and if so, YOU are the problem, never them, billions of dollars at their control, yes BILLIONS (I rememeber being at bethel 2 years ago and a GB member making a comment at morning worship about how much the friends love Jehovah that they give a mulit-billion dollar corp their money to work for them. Was suppsoed to be a joke). Their work and home have security and people willing to give their lives for them, free healthcare, NEVER have to worry about their financial situation, which is huge source of stress to many, free of liabilty because many would take the legal bullets for those men, the list goes on.... Work for nothing? I think NOT! They know what's at stake. Thats why Ray's course was so admirable....

• ziddina
    ziddina

Here's a decent thread on the subject of that "Charitable Planning" brochure...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/medical/203052/1/Charitable-Giving-Brochure

And this one lays out the British version of that booklet...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/80561/1/JWGift-org-New-Watchtower-Website-for-Online-Donations

• mP
    mP

SS

The constant free vacations (branch reports they called them) to places we couldn't even dream of, free delicious 3 square meals daily, green handshakes, power, authority, respect/fear/worship of millions worldwide, and they have the BEST rooms at bethel.

MP

So they get to travel first class, and then are zoomed to bethel, followed by visits to assemblies or congs. Wheres the holiday ?

SS:

Rooms similar to luxury condos that would cost $3000 a month (or even more in NYC), they have, with beautiful views, but pretty soon in an isloated prettier area.

MP

Im sorry NYC is not beautful, its cold and its just concrete. It may be worth a lot of money but thats about the only impressive thing about it.

Im just an ordinary person but my home town, is a thousand times better than NYC, beaches, water, nice weather, not cold, green everywhere, nYC has nothing compared to it. Im pretty sure nearly ever city or town around the world wins on the same criteria.

The other bethel workers also live in the same complex, so what exactly did the GB gain ? They probably dont spend much time in their rooms anyway.

SS

The thrill of not being questioned, and if so, YOU are the problem, never them, billions of dollars at their control, yes BILLIONS (I rememeber being at bethel 2 years ago and a GB member making a comment at morning worship about how much the friends love Jehovah that they give a mulit-billion dollar corp their money to work for them. Was suppsoed to be a joke).

MP

Firstly it takes a lot of effort to get to the top of the GB. Thirty, forty years of working with little guarantee of "winning" just to be met with free food and a room doesnt seem like they hit the jackpot. If they invested the same time and effort in the corporate world they would have a lot more to show for it.

SS

Their work and home have security and people willing to give their lives for them, free healthcare, NEVER have to worry about their financial situation, which is huge source of stress to many, free of liabilty because many would take the legal bullets for those men, the list goes on.... Work for nothing? I think NOT! They know what's at stake. Thats why Ray's course was so admirable....

MP

If they worked in the corporate world and earned hundreds or millions a year they wouldnt need to worry about healthcare, they would have a mansion and enough money until they died.

The average person in most western countries at least gets the opportnity to retire, those morons keep on managing the stupid charade until they die or leave like Ray. I see them as prisoners rather than beneficiaries.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

What, you mean installing Debit and Visa machines at their Assembly Halls or putting out pamphlets stating how to give your last

and final Will estate to the WTS. is not being deceitful ? The other deceitful part is that the WTS. is now worth hundreds millions.

The WTS. has always shoveled dirt onto other religious organizations while at the same time doing the exact thing that they point the other

religions of doing, including false bible teachings.

Religion is a game of pretentious deceit and corruption but done so with a wholesome flair righteous virtue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit