NYC Dept. of Education Wants The Word "Birthday" removed from tests for JWs

by garbonzo 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

http://failblog.org/2012/03/29/homework-class-test-school-of-fail-lets-not-insult-people-who-dont-believe-in-birthdays-or-anyone-ever-about-anything/#comment-1635032

This guy makes a valid point:

If they don’t want to offend anyone then I suggest a few more words to be removed:
    friends: I know people who don’t have any, this may offend them
    dog: this suggests someone owns one, thus offending people who don’t.
    life: My grandparents died and this suggests people are alive thus offending me
    test: this suggests competition and possibility of failure, I want it removed
    standardized: this suggests uniformity and the removal of creativity, remove it or I will be offended
    you know what, here is the list of words you CAN use:
    the, and, if, but, I and how
    Good luck writing an entire test!!1

Original article: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/26/war-on-words-nyc-dept-of-education-wants-50-forbidden-words-removed-from-standardized-tests/

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I would have thought that stupid even when I was a believing JW.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I can't believe some backward Soutern town is not pursuing this. New York City schools, with the exception of an elite few that are prob. better than the best private schools, are crazy! Do you know what students hear every day? Students must have a thick skin b/c it is one of the few places in the world where you r private cultural assumption are constantly challenged.

The whole country is making fun of this. I have not heard what Mayor Bloomberg thinks. Who is going to foot the cost of this absurd politcal correctness? As a Witness, I had to navigate personal boundaries, particularly during the Cuban Missile Crisis. We are a pluralistic society, not fiefdoms of closed minds.

I assume the testing is objective. If NYC students have scored poorly, the Board of Ed should improve its terror schools of nonperformance rather than throw this garbage out as a reason.

• Diest
    Diest

I feel bad for the JW kids, without B-days on the test how will they feel persecuted.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I feel bad for the JW kids, without B-days on the test how will they feel persecuted.

Dinosaur is out too, so they will not be able to carry those old NWTs that had a Dino walking across Libya in the front cover... I notice the TV media is roasting this 24 x 7, and the person that thought it up is hiding under their desk.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So if dinosaur is off the list, I must assume evolution also is. So is this a public admission that the religious right has finally succeeded in keeping our children in ignorance? Are they not taught evolution?

Birthdays is stupid too---but the dinosaur situtation points to something even more disturbing.

NC

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Birthdays is stupid too---but the dinosaur situtation points to something even more disturbing.

Well, this was pretty much a catch-all of censoring ANYTHING that could offend ANYBODY.

For example, "home computers" could not be mentioned, because some kids family might not be able to afford them...it was OK to say "school computer" or "library computer".

Basically, this was a melt-down by some deranged PC school admin with way too much time on his/her hands.

• Dagney
    Dagney

There was an interesting discussion in a Adam Corolla podcast this week regarding this. REALLY unfavorable to JW's, with personal experiences shared by the commentators. I guess Adam worked with one for a while...pretty funny. It is worth the listen even though listening to Adam is like listening to fingernails on a chaulkboard for me. This discussion reinforces the lack of thinking skills by JW's, and the ridiculousness of the mentality. He has one of the most popular podcasts, so that message is out there.

• Sofi
    Sofi

that's so ridiculous.

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

@Dagney I can't find his podcast, is there a link to the JW one? Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit