JW Memorial celebration has to rely on fairy tale history to support it's importance

by undercover 16 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Once again it is Memorial season in JW-Land. The women are shopping for their Easter, er, Memorial dresses. The kids look forward to, um, well, nevermind...they don't have anything to look forward to. They're not even allowed to 'touch' the wine glass as it's passed by. The men are looking forward to the NCAA basketball championship game the Monday before.

In years past we've asked perplexing questions meant to stimulate our minds as to how the WTS can justify their particular teachings about the Lord's Last Supper. Last year we focused on the discrepency of WT teaching vs Bible reading in regards to just when did Judas leave the room on that fateful night. It is imperative to WT doctrine that Judas left before the actual bread/wine being served. If Judas was in the room when this took place, then the entire symbolical meaning of the event is moot. If Jesus knew he was a traitor and allowed him to remiain, the symbolism is lost.

This year we go back even further. While it's easy enough to discredit the WT teachings about Judas being there or not and the number of anointed that are the only ones to partake of this symbolic flesh and blood, we can introduce yet another issue that can discredit not only the WT's stand on who is allowed to partake but the entire experience of even observing and bothering to show up at all...

Adam. That's right. The so-called first man, Adam. The man who was created pefect. The man who lost that perfection through sin and through him death was brought to us all. In JW theology, Jesus death is a ransom for what Adam lost. That is the import to why he had to die. And it's the import as to why "true Christians" must attend, observe and possibly partake at the JW Memorial of his death.

The only problem is... is it reasonable to believe in the Adam and Eve story? If archeological and scientific evidence points to man's existence lasting tens of thousands of years earlier than when Adam was supposedly created, shouldn't that create a conundrum for the WT doctrine of Adam's creation, sinning, dying and Jesus' subsequent arrival and death?

The WTS finds themself in a pickle here. As more and more is learned about man's history, the more and more the Adam and Eve story becomes a story for fairy tale books. But because the WTS has tied Jesus' death directly to Adam's death, they cannot deny the existence of Adam. Another damning doctrinal point about the WT teaching of Adam is that, even though not talked about these days - but never retracted, is that Adam was created a little over 6,000 years ago. That alone is ridiculous in face of what evidence of man's past there is.

So - if you go to the Memorial, pay attention to the first part of the talk and how everything is tied to Adam... and then contemplate on this: If Adam didn't exist, what exactly is the whole point of this exercise? And better yet...Why I am here in the first place?

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "The kids look forward to, um, well, nevermind...they don't have anything to look forward to. ...."

They're looking forward to all that marked-down after-Easter candy, silly!!

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

The first man was an ape who ate a mushroom.

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Seriously, the whole Memorial Celebration and Adam's loss of perfection because of sin is not true if you like to look at it from the Gnostic Christian point of view. The Apocryphon of John has Jesus discussing the creation of humans by evil Yaldabaoth and other demons, not the True God.

Shana

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    The men are looking forward to the NCAA basketball championship game the Monday before.

"While they were watching Kentucky put the beats on Kansas, George took a Buffalo Wing in one hand, and greedily neglecting to say thanks, said to himself, eat for this is pleasurable and means additional fat upon my body.

Then he took a non-light bottle of Heineken, and again without saying thanks, placed the bottle towards his mouth and said to himself, drink from it. This represents the first of three bottles partaken in one night from within a six-pack. I tell you, I will not drink another three until the following night as I didn't request a vacation day from work on the following day necessary to recuperate from the previous night's action."

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    While they were watching Kentucky put the beats on Kansas Ohio State.

Fixed that for you.

• blondie
    blondie

I could never reconcile the Adam and Eve story....felt it was just an allegory and yes everything in the Bible hinges on Adam's "sin" not Eve's "sin". I once asked if only Eve had sinned would the human family have been infected. After all she was destined to be the mother of everyone. How would her children not be infected?

Did Charles Taze Russell teach that Adam and Eve would be resurrected? (sidepoint)

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...As more and more is learned about man's history, the more and more the Adam and Eve story becomes a story for fairy tale books. But because the WTS has tied Jesus' death directly to Adam's death, they cannot deny the existence of Adam. Another damning doctrinal point about the WT teaching of Adam is that, even though not talked about these days - but never retracted, is that Adam was created a little over 6,000 years ago. ..."

Unfortunately, that information isn't widely accepted among fundamentalist religious people - especially here in the U.S.

At least 55 percent of Americans still believe that "god" created man - "Adam & Eve".... http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_public.htm

So, the scriptural basis for the memorial is considered "valid", for the majority of Americans.

• undercover
    undercover

At least 55 percent of Americans still believe that "god" created man - "Adam & Eve"....

That's why the creation of man only being created 6,000 years ago, per WT doctrine...and for JWs, is important. It's one thing to say, "I believe God created Adam and Eve" and not have any clue as to chronology. But the WTS has definitively said that Adam was created 6,000 years ago (as of 1975). The physical evidence does not support that claim. And if the WTS was wrong about the chronology, then how can you trust them to be right about any of it?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Yes, I completely agree, Undercover...

I'm just sayin'...

The majority of people that the JWs convert are almost certainly from that 55% who still believe in a literal "Adam & Eve" - whether at around 6,000 years - which would sync with most fundie Christian viewpoints, too - or at some nebulous, quasi-"scientific" 'older' date.

Most people who accept the bible as the final authority, would lack the resources or interest to actually do some research into the reasons that scientists have determined that humanity is much older.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit