Has anyone read Thucydides - beside the author of Daniel?

by kepler 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

kepler,

The translator of Annals of the Chaldean Kings concedes evidence for a raid on Jerusalem that carried off hostages circa 603 BC, but his chronology has its ultimate destruction in 586. If you are saying that Daniel should be presumed to have a 20-year career with Nebuchnezzar as a sage, let us remember that the Tyre siege and Jerusalem's destruction occurred about the same time. IF Daniel were hauled into Babylon earlier than that (603), he arrived as hardly even an adolescent. According to chapter one, his first sage accomplishment was a 10-day diet plan that made him look healthy to the chief eunuch. Maybe in 586 he was about 33. If he came in later (597 or 586), he was much younger.

Teaming together the decisive battle of Carchemish (where the Babylonians pulverized the Egyptian army), Berossus' testimony and the book of Daniel's own date (1:1), Daniel was most likely taken in 605 BCE, the accession year of Nebuchadnezzar and Jehoiakim's 3rd year (accession counting).

In Nebuchadnezzar's 2nd year (603/2 BCE), he had his 'image dream' and promoted young Daniel to one of the top jobs. By the time of the siege of Tyre, Daniel would have been an accomplished, experienced chief 'sage' of (as you said) at the very minimum 30, but more likely (IMHO) closer to 40. (Cp. Dan. 1:4 - yeled can be rendered 'young man,' e.g. cf. 1 Ki. 12:8, 10, 14.)

Tyre, held by the way. It was Alexander that actually delivered on Ezekiel's prophetic threats.

True, Tyre wasn't destroyed by the Babylonians. It was brought to its knees, however, causing its king (Ithobaal III) to surrender.

Now is there any mention of Daniel or Beltazzar in Babylonian or Persian cuneiform records?

Not to my limited knowledge ... unless the official named 'Belshazzar' on two tablets in Amel-Marduk's and Neriglissar's reigns is not the son of Nabonidus but actually 'Bel(te)shazzar.' See William H. Shea's reasons for this suggestion in his 1988 article.

Well, doing some more background research. AnnOMaly had inquired about the lineage of Belshazzar on his mother's side.

One piece of data is the mother of Nabonidus

Of course, Adad-Guppi is still part of Belshazzar's paternal line. The stele you allude to is, however, very useful in helping to establish the succession of neo-Babylonian kings. FYI.

In an on-line encyclopedia article he refers to his otherwise unknown father, Nabu-balatsu-iqbi, as "wise prince." I don't have a fix on whom he married. But so far, if we were to take the line of reasoning of the"son of" argument, Daniel might have been able to say "son of Assurbanipal". This does not help Daniel.

Well, the rationale behind Daniel being able to call Nebuchadnezzar Belshazzar's 'father' has already been discussed.

In commentary connected with the Nabonidus Chronicle, it is pointed out that Nabonidus had returned from Tayma (Arabia) in time for the new year (April 2nd - TODAY!) festival, but the battles with Cyrus were several months later.

True.

It is argued in this source ...

And this source is ... ?

... that Nabonidus had dismissed Belshazzar and taken field command. Then, it was also suggested elsewhere that Belshazzar might have passed away earlier anyway. 50 -50. Belshazzar excused from duty and available to party - or Belshazzar had a legitimate alibi for absence.

Yes, there is no mention of him in the available cuneiform records after Nabonidus' 14th year. Yes, the Akitu festival was celebrated for the first time in ages in Nabonidus' 17th year. Looks like Nabonidus and the Babylonians were hunkering down and madly appeasing all the gods they could in view of Cyrus' advance. Anyway, I can understand the suggestion that Belshazzar may have died some time before IF Daniel's testimony is discounted.

The summary continues for a few more pages and the annual report by nations begins on page 27. Clearly, I can't see how he can rationalize his use of Ezekiel other than to manipulate

That's Rutherford! His manipulation of Bible texts is not unique to him, however. (And don't forget about types and antitypes applied to prophetic fulfillments.)

Just wondering: Would Rutherford in the rank and file remain a JW in good standing or would he be subject to disciplinary hearing? Or would he just need to clean up his vocabulary?

You mean 'crucifixion'? He'd already discarded the cross as the means of Jesus' execution (late 1920's), but some of the vocabulary needed to catch up. "The light gets brighter"! ;-)

• kepler
    kepler

AnnOMaly,

Regarding:

------------------------

Teaming together the decisive battle of Carchemish (where the Babylonians pulverized the Egyptian army), Berossus' testimony and the book of Daniel's own date (1:1), Daniel was most likely taken in 605 BCE, the accession year of Nebuchadnezzar and Jehoiakim's 3rd year (accession counting).

In Nebuchadnezzar's 2nd year (603/2 BCE), he had his 'image dream' and promoted young Daniel to one of the top jobs. By the time of the siege of Tyre, Daniel would have been an accomplished, experienced chief 'sage' of (as you said) at the very minimum 30, but more likely (IMHO) closer to 40. (Cp. Dan. 1:4 - yeled can be rendered 'young man,' e.g. cf. 1 Ki. 12:8, 10, 14.)

-----------------------------

Let's explore that early arrival for a bit and how Daniel became well known as an accomplished sage by the time he was 40 as the siege of Tyre gets underway. In his second year of King N's reign and in the second chapter, Daniel interprets the dream and the King Nebuchadnezzar falls prostrate before Daniel and says (Dan 2:47-49) "Your god is indeed the God of gods, ..." and then conferred high rank on him and gave him handsome presents. He also made him governor of the whole province of Babylon and head of all sages of Babylon. ...Daniel himself remained in attendance on the king.

So in the ensuing years he was a close councilor of the king, years in which Nebuchadnezzar besieges Jerusalem twice and ultimately destroys the city and Temple. Those must have been really compelling reasons for Ezekiel to extoll his wisdom and virtues to the King of Tyre.

In chapter 3 the narrator ( Daniel) sets the scene with Nebuchadnezzar next setting up a statue of himself sixty cubits high before (NWT and NJB) "the satraps" and governors... Wait a minute. Satraps? When was this ceremony supposed to have occurred? Just a few verses ago, Daniel got this enormous encomium and concession...? Others have commented on the orchestra, but "satraps"?

To review,

1. Since Wiseman in the Annals of Chaldean kings noted an early Jerusalem raid, we just have to assume that Daniel was taken.

2. That since Daniel interpreted a dream when he was an adolescent, he immediately became governor of Babylon and designated several of his young comrades to assist him.

3. Since Daniel mentions a Darius the Mede, we insert him into history along with 3 Persian Dariuses.

4. Since Daniel says that Belshazzar was king, we let that ride because the Hebrew "mlk" (like Arabic malik) has been used for lesser figures.

5. Since Daniel says Belshazzar was the son of Nebuchadnazzar, the guy he converted in chapter 2, we now have an iron-clad case that he is related to Nebuchadnezzar via a maternal line.

6. Nearly 70 years after Daniel arrived in Babylon he was interpreting wall handwriting for Belshazzar during a festival night; not the New Year's but the one in the midst of the battle for Babylon under siege by the Persians 6 months later. That's the night that is going to count against Babylonians according to my copy of "What the Bible Really Teaches". Never mind that his "father" Nebuchadnazzar did quite a turnabout on Daniel and leveled Jerusalem.

7. And Daniel being such a sage, wrote this book in two languages, sometimes in 3rd and sometimes in first person, depending on whether he wanted to give an account of his own dreams, evidently. That must have increased his sage reputation as well. Oddly enough he writes the early parts in 3rd person Aramaic and the later parts in first person Hebrew.

In reviewing these findings, I happened to notice a footnote in the NJB. Regarding the beginning of chapter 3, it notes that the Septuagint (LXX) and the Theodotion texts add that Nebuchadnezzar erected the statue in his 18th year. LXX further adds :having subdued towns and provinces and all the inhabitants from India to Ethiopia." I think they mean Egypt's neighbor Kush. I think Nebuchadnezzar would have had to push through Persia to have obtained those bounds. Or he might have been a Persian himself.

According to my Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedia, Daniel was accepted into the Hebrew canon in 90 AD.

Aside from Daniel the book, however, there is evidence of Belshazzar from Babylonian sources. The Nabonidus cylinder speaks of him as the king's son and the Babylonian annals speak of his rule in the absence of his father at Tayma. But both the Verse of Nabonidus (composed by a Babylonian Marduk priest) and the Cyrus Cylinder disregard him. Both are archeological evidence.

Finally, there are the discrepancies between Daniel and Isaiah, even though much of what is said in Isaiah does not match up exactly with historical evidence either. But let me explain.

Whether you believe it is Isaiah looking ahead a century and a half in chapters 40-55 or an anonymous Deutero-Isaiah reporting of the reign of Cyrus, in Isaiah Belshazzar, Darius and Daniel are unmentioned. Cyrus has a prominent protagonist role. The material of this section is definitely a break from the first 39 chapters which conclude with Isaiah warning Hezekiah what will someday follow Babylonian emissaries, but the next 15 chapters seem to be written with the expectation that Cyrus was about to arrive in Babylon, with the consequences in store for the city and its rulers and an opportunity for hostages to go home.

This post is no doubt over-long already. But if someone wishes to look at the texts related to Cyrus, Naibonidus, plus Isaiah, check out

Babylonian and Persian accounts compiled by www.livius.org

The Chronicle of Nabonidus

gives contemporary information about the rise of Cyrus and the erratic behavior of the Babylonian king Nabonidus, who leaves Babylon and spends several years in the oasis Temâ in Arabia. His son Bêlsharusur (the biblical Belshazzar) acts as regent but is unable to ward off the approaching Persian danger. Finally, Nabonidus returns and fights. But it is in vain; Cyrus is welcomed as representative of the supreme god.

The Verse account of Nabonidus

is a poem by one of the priests of the Esagila, the temple of the Babylonian supreme god Marduk. It shows that the religious establishment of Babylon was upset because the important New Year's festival (Akitu) had not been celebrated in Nabonidus' absence. The author of this libel does little to hide his contempt for the impious madman.

http://www.livius.org/ct-cz/cyrus_I/babylon06.html#Ezra

Second Isaiah...

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

kepler,

Those must have been really compelling reasons for Ezekiel to extoll his wisdom and virtues to the King of Tyre.

Assuming Ezekiel was indeed referring to Daniel. You raised the point that it wasn't necessarily so. If Ezekiel wasn't referring to Daniel, this point is moot.

On the other hand, now that I have more information on 'Danel' of Ugarit, it appears he was a Baal-worshipper who sacrificed to his ancestral gods (see Pritchard, ANET, 'The Tale of Aqhat,' p. 149-155) - not the type of character to be lumped in with the likes of Noah and Job.

Wait a minute. Satraps? When was this ceremony supposed to have occurred?

The 'when' is a matter of some debate (you point out the LXX dating below). What is the problem with 'satraps'?

(Regarding the loan-words used for the instruments being a problem: Probably much a-do about very little.)

To review,

1. Since Wiseman in the Annals of Chaldean kings noted an early Jerusalem raid, we just have to assume that Daniel was taken.

As was mentioned above, because Daniel dates a siege by Nebuchadnezzar to Jehoiakim's 3rd year (605 BCE) and says this was when he was taken, and because the Babylonian Chronicle states Nebuchadnezzar had defeated Egypt that same year and swept through Palestine, and because Berossus (as repeated by Josephus) corroborates this, adding that some Jews had been made captive the same year, then we can assume this was indeed the time Daniel was taken.

3. Since Daniel mentions a Darius the Mede, we insert him into history along with 3 Persian Dariuses.

We cannot 'insert' him into history or do anything with him as his existence outside the Bible remains a mystery. We can only say that, if we take Daniel's testimony as correct, he was given responsibility over Babylon immediately after it was taken and that he didn't last long. Anyway, Cyrus' name is the one used for dating purposes on Babylonian documents, so whoever Darius was, he was obviously under Cyrus' authority.

5. Since Daniel says Belshazzar was the son of Nebuchadnazzar, the guy he converted in chapter 2, we now have an iron-clad case that he is related to Nebuchadnezzar via a maternal line.

'Iron clad'? Huh? That was never argued. See previous posts.

6. ... That's the night that is going to count against Babylonians according to my copy of "What the Bible Really Teaches". Never mind that his "father" Nebuchadnazzar did quite a turnabout on Daniel and leveled Jerusalem.

I don't know what you mean by 'turnabout on Daniel.' Firstly, Daniel was a captive and Nebuchadnezzar wasn't answerable to him. Secondly, Daniel recognized that Jerusalem's destruction was a result of his nation's unfaithfulness to God (see Daniel's prayer of contrition at 9:4-19). Judah had to obey God's will by submitting to Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonians and all would be well. They chose not to do that and suffered the penalties. See e.g. Jeremiah 27.

7. And Daniel being such a sage, wrote this book in two languages ...

You think the book was never copied?

... sometimes in 3rd and sometimes in first person ...

This happens in other books containing a mix of narrative and prophecy.

According to my Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedia, Daniel was accepted into the Hebrew canon in 90 AD.

90 AD? You surely mean BC.

But both the Verse of Nabonidus (composed by a Babylonian Marduk priest) and the Cyrus Cylinder disregard him.

The Verse Account of Nabonidus doesn't disregard Belshazzar. See a previous post.

Finally, there are the discrepancies between Daniel and Isaiah, even though much of what is said in Isaiah does not match up exactly with historical evidence either. But let me explain. ... ...

Although you note that some of Isaiah deals with the Assyrian threat, and that it's thought a later author has supplemented the book with prophecies relating to neo-Babylonian and Persian times, I cannot see in your explanation where you have demonstrated there are discrepancies between Daniel and Isaiah, or where Isaiah conflicts with historical evidence.

The Chronicle of Nabonidus

gives contemporary information about the rise of Cyrus and the erratic behavior of the Babylonian king Nabonidus, who leaves Babylon and spends several years in the oasis Temâ in Arabia. His son Bêlsharusur (the biblical Belshazzar) acts as regent but is unable to ward off the approaching Persian danger. Finally, Nabonidus returns and fights. But it is in vain; Cyrus is welcomed as representative of the supreme god.

Of course, it has to be noted that the Nabonidus Chronicle does not mention Belshazzar at all.

If you're going to slap the WTS with all this information, you're going to have to be crystal clear and as factually accurate as you can. Jus' sayin' :-)

• kepler
    kepler

AnnOMaly ( True, eccentric or mean? f, E or M? You've probably addressed that one before),

An initial note:

I think we are both falling into the advocates pro or con for the historical case concerning the book and identity of Daniel. At some point, we will soon exhaust the available information at hand. And I suggest that for the sake of all that we adjourn our discourse for Thursday. I suspect we have an audience pro and con themselves, plus those who are weighing what we say. If something I say is intemperate, I would rather it came out on a different occasion.

But before adjourning, I would like to answer a couple of your queries. My enumeration of arguments "for" was not really an endorsement. I wanted to collect a number of arguments in support of Daniel's historicity which individually were all very much a stretch. When you do risk assessments you multiply individual probabilities together and get lower and lower likelihoods.

Satraps are a Persian convention. They ran "Satrapies". How many Darius instituted varies from source to source, but Nebuchadnezzar should not have had any. Your argument about N's territories to the west is a stretch. He didn't take over Egypt. But the Persians did - and they were the ones that had an Empire that stretched to India. Whether the LXX entry was a lapse or not, I cannot say, but it would be consistent with a ceremony involving satraps, translated more universally than "Danel" or "Daniel".

I checked the encyclopedia entry several times. 90 AD. How one determines the canonical process for either OT or NT? Good question.

As for submissions to the Questions to Readers, I'll just mention I had some open discussions about most of them with their readers already. Some of my correspondents, however, have made some prophecies of their own about what the reply will look like, documented, detailed or not.

• kepler
    kepler

AnnOMaly ( True, eccentric or mean? f, E or M? You've probably addressed that one before),

An initial note:

I think we are both falling into the advocates pro or con for the historical case concerning the book and identity of Daniel. At some point, we will soon exhaust the available information at hand. And I suggest that for the sake of all that we adjourn our discourse for Thursday. I suspect we have an audience pro and con themselves, plus those who are weighing what we say. If something I say is intemperate, I would rather it came out on a different occasion.

But before adjourning, I would like to answer a couple of your queries. My enumeration of arguments "for" was not really an endorsement. I wanted to collect a number of arguments in support of Daniel's historicity which individually were all very much a stretch. When you do risk assessments you multiply individual probabilities together and get lower and lower likelihoods.

Satraps are a Persian convention. They ran "Satrapies". How many Darius instituted varies from source to source, but Nebuchadnezzar should not have had any. Your argument about N's territories to the west is a stretch. He didn't take over Egypt. But the Persians did - and they were the ones that had an Empire that stretched to India. Whether the LXX entry was a lapse or not, I cannot say, but it would be consistent with a ceremony involving satraps, translated more universally than "Danel" or "Daniel".

I checked the encyclopedia entry several times. 90 AD. How one determines the canonical process for either OT or NT? Good question.

As for submissions to the Questions to Readers, I'll just mention I had some open discussions about most of them with their readers already. Some of my correspondents, however, have made some prophecies of their own about what the reply will look like, documented, detailed or not.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

kepler,

When anyone I perceive is taking an extreme position, I'll push for what I perceive to be a more balanced one. Hopefully we give each other something to think about in the process :-)

AnnOMaly ( True, eccentric or mean? f, E or M? You've probably addressed that one before)

A little eccentric, I think.

I suspect we have an audience pro and con themselves, plus those who are weighing what we say.

Well that's OK.

(However, it's a shame Leolaia isn't throwing something into the mix - man, she'd have A LOT of thought-provoking comments on this subject.)

Satraps are a Persian convention. ... Nebuchadnezzar should not have had any.

Perhaps it's a problem of translation rather than concept. Are you arguing that governors or 'princes' over provinces or towns could not exist before the Persian hegemony?

Your argument about N's territories to the west is a stretch. He didn't take over Egypt.

I didn't claim he did. See previous post.

I checked the encyclopedia entry several times. 90 AD.

A misprint? Daniel was accepted into the Jewish Writings (Ketuvim) by the 1st century BCE. Portions of Daniel were preserved at Qumran (dated 2nd century and 1st century BCE).

Some of my correspondents, however, have made some prophecies of their own about what the reply will look like, documented, detailed or not.

LOL. I do hope you let us know if any of the predictions were near the mark or otherwise!

• kepler
    kepler

AnnOMaly,

RE: Satraps are a Persian convention. ... Nebuchadnezzar should not have had any. &

Perhaps it's a problem of translation rather than concept. Are you arguing that governors or 'princes' over provinces or towns could not exist before the Persian hegemony?

----------

In searching on satrap in concordances and hebrew on line OT texts, I found 3 other instances beside the one in chapter 3. Interestingly enough, several of the sources tended to ignore the existence of the Dan 3 usages. Anyway, the convention appears to be used in the NWT as well as the Hebrew (language) text. To expedite things, here are the other three instances copied from an on-line Biblical source.

"At that time those who had come from captivity , the returned exiles, offered burnt offerings to the God of Israel, twelve bulls for all Israel, ninety-six rams, seventy-seven lambs, and as a sin offering twelve he-goats; all this was a burnt offering to The Lord. They also delivered the king's commissions to the king's satraps and to the governors of the province Beyond the River; and they aided the people and the house of God." (Ezra 8:35-36 RSV)

"Then the king's secretaries were summoned on the thirteenth day of the first month, and an edict, according to all that Haman commanded, was written to the king's satraps and to the governors over all the provinces and to the princes of all the peoples, to every province in its own script and every people in its own language; it was written in the name of King Ahasuerus and sealed with the king's ring." (Esther 3:12 RSV)

"It pleased Darius to set over the kingdom a hundred and twenty satraps, to be throughout the whole kingdom; and over them three presidents, of whom Daniel was one, to whom these satraps should give account, so that the king might suffer no loss. Then this Daniel became distinguished above all the other presidents and satraps, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king planned to set him over the whole kingdom.Then the presidents and the satraps sought to find a ground for complaint against Daniel with regard to the kingdom; but they could find no ground for complaint or any fault, because he was faithful, and no error or fault was found in him. (Daniel 6:1-4 RSV)

In all these instances the Hebrew text used the same word: achshdrphni - depending on number or case - Hebrew is not a language I have studied. But you can go to an on-line Hebrew OT with the phonetic transliteration and identify the word that is used repeatedly and translated as "satrap". Satrap is a Persian convention, not Babylonian. Lest we lose track of what this is all about, I should reiterate that Nebuchadnezzar can have all manner of governors, but he is not going to name them satraps - unless he is a satrap of the Persian government himself. If Darius the Mede supposedly appointed all these satraps before Cyrus showed up, then the Mede bureaucracy must have worked as fast as lightning. Funny how it is Persian Darius that gets the credit for all that elsewhere.

--------------

Regarding 90 AD

--------

To determine what my 25 year old encyclopedia was talking about, I was able to locate reference to a rabbinical meeting around that date in Jamnia or Javne. While on line sources were not in agreement whether anything regarding setting a canon was determined there, the wikipedia source that was most adamant about the absence of canon issues decided also weighed in for late date of Daniel (wikipedia jamnia). A University of Sheffield historian disagreed, but had more interesting things to say about other matters (below).

However, the issue of 90 AD obscures a couple of things. This was a hypothesized date for admission into the canon, not the writing of the book itself. A majority of adherents for late date would be no later than 165 BC. Secondly, it is also an issue of WHERE in the canonical structure the book resides.

In the first case, there are other books beside Daniel that were written relatively late for which decisions had to made whether they should be part of the OT canon. Despite much of merit in Maccabees or Sirach or Wisdom of Solomon, though they appeared in the 2nd century BC, they were not included, save as tack ons to the Septuagint or "deutero-canonical" recommendations of Jerome or others, distinct from the NT scriptures, but providing further detail about things prior. Esther does not mention God a single time, but makes it into the Canon. The book of Enoch is the non-canonical book on which the brief arguments of the Epistle of Jude are based. Maccobees have martyrdoms described in terrifying detail and a campaign to prevail in the name of faith without the assist that Joshua supposedly had - and they won.

It is in Sirach or the Ecclesiasticus that the structure of the Hebrew Scritpure is spelled out in chapter one:

1 [The Prologue of the Wisdom of Jesus the Son of Sirach.] Whereas many and great things have been delivered unto us by the law and the prophets, and by others that have followed their steps, for the which things Israel ought to be commended for learning and wisdom; and whereof not only the readers must needs become skilful themselves, but also they that desire to learn be able to profit them which are without, both by speaking and writing: my grandfather Jesus, when he had much given himself to the reading of the law, and the prophets, and other books of our fathers, and had gotten therein good judgment, was drawn on also himself to write something pertaining to learning and wisdom; to the intent that those which are desirous to learn, and are addicted to these things, might profit much more in living according to the law. Wherefore let me intreat you to read it with favour and attention, and to pardon us, wherein we may seem to come short of some words, which we have laboured to interpret.

For the same things uttered in Hebrew, and translated into another tongue, have not the same force in them: and not only these things, but the law itself, and the prophets, and the rest of the books, have no small difference, when they are spoken in their own language. For in the eight and thirtieth year coming into Egypt, when Euergetes was king, and continuing there some time, I found a book of no small learning: therefore I thought it most necessary for me to bestow some diligence and travail to interpret it; using great watchfulness and skill in that space to bring the book to an end, and set it forth for...

--------------

Quoting the Sheffield source:

In the Hebrew Bible these books are divided into three divisions: the Law, the Prophets and
    the Writings. The Law comprises the five books of Moses. In the ‘Prophets’ are included the
    books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings (the ‘Former Prophets’) as well as the books of
    Isaiah, Jeremiah. Ezekiel and the ‘Minor’ Prophets (the ‘Latter Prophets’). The ‘Writings’
    contain firstly Psalms, Proverbs and Job; secondly a group of five books called the ‘Five
    Scrolls’, Canticles, Ruth. Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther; thirdly the books of Daniel,
    Ezra-Nehemiah, and Chronicles.

[continuing]

I still don't think that many people following this issue take much notice of the concept that OT and NT have secondary structure. If they did, they would not be as susceptible to the argument that dreams and numerology in one book about a questionably historical figure by an anonymous author could trump the words uttered by Christ on the cross in another book so that they would have to be re-written to conform (NWT Luke 23:43). When I happened to notice this discrepancy and reported that's "what I learned in school a few days later" in December of 2009, I got my own equivalent of disfellowshipping without ever having had gone through the formality of having joined.

The reason for this arrangement is uncertain. It does not represent the order in which the
    various books were written, nor is it an arrangement in accordance with subject-matter.

..it appears from Lk. 24: 44 that our Lord knew the threefold division of the
    Hebrew Bible, for when He speaks there of ‘the law of Moses, and the prophets, and the
    psalms’, the last word may refer not merely to the Book of Psalms hut to the whole division
    of the ‘Writings’ in which the Book of Psalms took first place. There is evidence, indeed, that
    this threefold division was known in the second century B.C., for the translator of the
    apocryphal book of Ecclesiasticus (or Sirach) from Hebrew into Greek was plainly acquainted with it,
    and makes more than one reference to it in the preface to his translation, written about 132 B.C.

F.F. Bruce, “The Canon of Scripture,” Inter-Varsity (Autumn 1954): 19-22.
    President of I.V.F. (1954-55) and Head of the Department of Biblical
    History and Literature in the University of Sheffield

-----

For myself, it is interesting to note the exceptional nature of Daniel's exclusion from among the prophets. Jonah abides there along with the minor prophets - and Ezekiel who was supposedly a contemporary of Daniel residing in Babylon is included as well. Many would regard Jonah as fiction today; and then others have argued that Daniel was excluded because he did not do his work in Judea. Maybe some of the same questions arose in those days that we are reviewing now.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

kepler,

Regarding the Aramaic word 'achashdarpan. Again, you seem to be arguing that this word cannot be applied to any of the Babylonian administrative offices - as if Babylonians didn't have such a thing as governors over their provinces. If the writer of Daniel finished the book in Persian times or even Greek times, why couldn't he have used a term that he thought closely described the types of position delegated by Nebuchadnezzar and Darius the Mede, and that readers of the time would readily understand?

E.g. if I said that I was inviting people for a smörgåsbord meal, would you object that I couldn't do so since I was neither Swedish nor offering traditional Scandinavian fare? Or would you just immediately have an idea of what kind of meal it was going to be since the word is internationally known and has been adopted into the English language?

Regarding 90 AD. Yes, it looks like your encyclopedia is referring to the now largely abandoned hypothesis that a Council of Jamnia finalized the Hebrew canon.

For myself, it is interesting to note the exceptional nature of Daniel's exclusion from among the prophets.

Yet Daniel was counted among the prophets in the LXX and also (I've just learned) in the Qumran texts. OTOH, the Masoretic texts put Daniel in with the Writings. Whichever way his book was categorized, Daniel was included in the canon long before 90 AD.

• kepler
    kepler

AnnOMaly,

---------------------------

1.) Regarding the Aramaic word 'achashdarpan. Again, you seem to be arguing that this word cannot be applied to any of the Babylonian administrative offices - as if Babylonians didn't have such a thing as governors over their provinces. If the writer of Daniel finished the book in Persian times or even Greek times, why couldn't he have used a term that he thought closely described the types of position delegated by Nebuchadnezzar and Darius the Mede, and that readers of the time would readily understand?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Is it Aramaic? I took that out of the Hebrew text and there were uses. Let's go over those again.

Dan 3:2 King Nebuchadnezzar then summoned the satraps, magistrates, governors, councillors, treasurers,

Dan 6:1 It pleased Darius to appoint 120 satraps over his kingdom for the various parts.

Dan 6:5 the presidents and satraps hunted for some affair 7-8, realm, magistrates, satraps....

Ezra 8:36 They also delivered the king's decree to the the king's satraps and the governors

Esther 3:12 ...according to all that Haman commanded, was written to the king's satraps and to the governors..

While some of Ezra was supposedly written in Aramaic, the above quote is not included in that section. Hebrew. Esther was written in Hebrew.

If Daniel finished the book in Persian times or Greek times he would be over 100 or 200 years old respectively. Darius the Persian is the one who is on record for establishing satraps. It is nice to think that the author of Daniel used satraps to simplify the story. Other things he leaves us largely clueless about.

--------------------------------------------------

2.)Regarding 90 AD. Yes, it looks like your encyclopedia is referring to the now largely abandoned hypothesis that a Council of Jamnia finalized the Hebrew canon.

For myself, it is interesting to note the exceptional nature of Daniel's exclusion from among the prophets.

Yet Daniel was counted among the prophets in the LXX and also (I've just learned) in the Qumran texts. OTOH, the Masoretic texts put Daniel in with the Writings. Whichever way his book was categorized, Daniel was included in the canon long before 90 AD.

-------------------

Even as I write you this reply, I am going to my copy of the JPS Hebrew-English TaNaKh - and to look up lines in Daniel I have to go to the section called Kethuviim or The Writings. Kethuviim begins on page 1413 with Psalms, followed by Proverbs, Job, Song of Songs, Job, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther and DANIEL on page 1803. He is followed by Ezra, Nehemiah, and Chronicles, none of which mention him or"Darius the Mede". I gave two instances to support this arrangement not of recent origin: Ecclesiasticus and Luke.

The Neviim begin with Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Amos... Jonah, other minor prophets but no Daniel.

Regarding Daniel's acceptance or not at Jamnia, I am inclined not to drag my feet on this one. For if I maintained that the book just had to have been admitted into the canon at that point, I would be grasping at the same sort of straws that characterize arguments for Darius the Mede or Belshazzar son of Nebuchadnazzar. But Daniel's presence in the LXX or at Qumran does not necessarily settle the matter of canonicity either. What does so is an actual council or decree that explicitly says so. We have early councils that set Christian canons, and then revisions during the Reformation and counter reformation. To identify a similar event for Daniel, we would have to study rabbinical judaism history further.

Discussions of the Septuagint or LXX is like taking aim at a moving target. It started out as the Torah the Law, but it expanded to 47 entries. According to Jaroslav Pelikan in "Whose Bible Is It?", Daniel was number 47 following Ezekiel. Maccabees I & II were 20 and 21. Wisdom of Solomon and Ecclesiasticus ( mentioned above) were 30 and 31. Judith was book 18.

Let's talk a little about Judith. The first verse starts like this: "It was the 12th year of Nebuchadnezzar who reigned over the Assyrians in the great city of Nineveh...." Is there something wrong with this? Nabopolassar wiped Nineveh off the map. Not very historical. And that is probably one among many reasons it is not in the canon today. Someone must have raised objections similar to those we are engaged with discussing about Daniel now.

But all the same it was in LXX.

One of the editors of the JPS TaNaKh edition I mentioned above, also wrote a study aid called "How to Read the Jewish Bible". When the book addresses Daniel, it begins on page 212: "Daniel is a short book that boasts some unusual features.... Some of the book's claims are at odds with historical fact: (about which you have already heard)..."Someone living in the Babylonian exile would not have made these kind of mistakes."

In chapter 8 of Daniel, "the continuation of the passage deals, in not so veiled language with Antiochus Epiphanes, the Greek king who in167 BCE took the unprecedented step of converting the Jerusalem Temple into a temple of Zeus, while prohibiting central Jewish practices. ..Other sources tell us that he suspended the regular Temple offerings; this is reflected when Daniel hears mention of the current crisis, "the regular offering, ... forsaken because of transgression (v. 13). Thus,someone wrote down the vision after 167 ( when Antiochus took control of the Temple) but before 164 (when the Hasmoneans restored the Temple following the Maccobean victory).

In verse 19 of that chapter, an angelic figure tells Daniel : "I am going to inform you of what will happen when wrath is at an end," ... this verse is picking up on the vocabulary of of Habakkuk 2:3: ... Thus, even though the Book of Daniel presents this passage as a new prophecy, it relates to an older prophecy."

Later, Marc Zvi Breitler writes: "As a scholoar I am curious whether the ancient Jews took these stories as 'real history' or recognized them as legends."

Well, there is more discussion, but I am weary of typing - and I lost most of this post on the first try. But to me, it would seem irrational not to examine what Jews make of their own scriptures before we make decisions based on what 19th century Anglo Protestant "visionaries" thought they meant based on their tangential reasoning.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

kepler,

Is it Aramaic?

In Daniel, apparently so. Its Hebrew equivalent is found in Ezra and Esther.

If Daniel finished the book in Persian times or Greek times he would be over 100 or 200 years old respectively.

I specifically said "the writer of Daniel."

If the author was indeed Daniel himself, he obviously finished the book in Persian times. We've been through this. His last dated entry was in Cyrus' 3rd year [536/5 BCE], Nisan (10:1-4). The year he says he was taken captive was the 3rd year of Jehoiakim [605/4 BCE] (1:1f.). Do the math. He would have been elderly but certainly not fossilized.

If the author of Daniel was somebody writing in Greek times, my point about using later loan-words describing the kinds of administrative offices Nebuchadnezzar organized still stands.

But Daniel's presence in the LXX or at Qumran does not necessarily settle the matter of canonicity either. What does so is an actual council or decree that explicitly says so. We have early councils that set Christian canons, and then revisions during the Reformation and counter reformation. To identify a similar event for Daniel, we would have to study rabbinical judaism history further.

While there is much dispute about when the Jewish canon was finalized, the point remains that the LXX and the Qumran scrolls indicate how important and respected the book of Daniel was by late BC times - that it was already viewed as one of the sacred texts. That the Tanakh later places it in the Writings does not negate its earlier categorization.

On top of that you have Jesus' words as reported by Matthew (24:15) and Josephus (Antiquities, X.11.7 [267-268]; also cp. Against Apion, I.8 [38-40]). Both suggest the book of Daniel was already established as authoritative and canonical in the 1st century AD.

One of the editors of the JPS TaNaKh edition I mentioned above, also wrote a study aid called "How to Read the Jewish Bible". When the book addresses Daniel, it begins on page 212: "Daniel is a short book that boasts some unusual features.... Some of the book's claims are at odds with historical fact: (about which you have already heard)..."Someone living in the Babylonian exile would not have made these kind of mistakes."

It hasn't been established that he has made historical mistakes. It appears to me Brettler has made snap judgments based on a narrow understanding of some of Daniel's writing and the period history. Many, if not all, of his objections can either be easily overcome or their premises questioned.

I lost most of this post on the first try

Dontchya just hate it when that happens! Posts like this, I've learned to do in Wordpad. The snag is formatting it all once you c&p it to the Reply box.

it would seem irrational not to examine what Jews make of their own scriptures before we make decisions based on what 19th century Anglo Protestant "visionaries" thought they meant based on their tangential reasoning.

Sure :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit