Biting off more than they can chew - why I think the Society's internet approach is good for us, bad for them...

by cedars 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Jeffro - the quote you selected states 100 requests per day, not per year???

I personally think that number is exaggerated anyway. We have no way of authenticating it.

Cedars

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We could all request a visit, at an address that is really remote, and not our own of course !

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Sorry, I meant per day. Worldwide, 36,500 per year is still not very many. The point about the section in the KM holds true.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

When I read those Internet stats for the first time, I thought to myself How pathetic! For the Internet, those kinds of numbers are practically statistical noise, not results. But. . .

I imagine what they might start doing is backing off publishing all the "real world" ministry results and start using more online stats as they will most certainly show growth no matter what.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

When I first joined the modern world with my laptop 18 months ago, I went searching for an "authentic" Jw forum, and found you lot....hahahaha!

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Pams girl said,

I went searching for an "authentic" Jw forum, and found you lot....

Watchtower has survived until now largely by influencing it's people to be separate, different, from everybody else (no birthdays, no association with anyone not a Witness, look only to the Society's publications for religious information, etc). By isolating people away from others it has been able to control their thinking to a great extent.

But now the Society is going to try to keep it's head above water by jumping into the same pool as it's opposers, such as JWN, JWfacts, Freeminds, and others. This is a dramatic new turn for Watchtower, and I think the results could be disasterous for the Organization.

If the Society had been an early adopter of the internet it might be different, but it seems kind of late now. Opposition sites have developed many thousands of pages in their data bases that will come up in any internet search related to Watchtower, Jehovah, or other key words that Witnesses are sure to use.

Encouraging people to use it's own site will inevitably expose them to the very sites that Watchtower wants them to avoid.

Witness the experience of Pams girl and many others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit