What does Satan and 1/3 of all angels stand to gain by creating chaos?

by tootired2care 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    "And war broke out in heaven: Mi′cha·el and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled 8 but it did not prevail, neither was a place found for them any longer in heaven. 9 So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him." - Rev 12:7
    "On this account be glad, YOU heavens and YOU who reside in them! Woe for the earth and for the sea, because the Devil has come down to YOU, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time" - Rev 12:12

This is a question i've always grappled with. Satan wanted to start a movement of independence from God. But if he intentionaly tries to create a world full of choas and problems then isn't he really just doing Gods will by helping his legal case by proving true God's assertion that independence from him leads to nothing beneficial. This does not seem logical,it seems that if someone was opposed they would do everything in their power to disprove the opposite sides viewpoint.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

• sir82
    sir82

You're looking for coherence and rationality from a book written by Bronze age goatherds?

Good luck with that!

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Never made much sense to me either. If anything you would think he'd manipulate events to support his own argument. Maybe his pride is so strong that he'd rather die be destroyed trying to prove a point rather than live forever in servitude? Why'd he even think he stood a chance in warfare?

On another note, 1 Kings 22: 19-22 throws a monkey wrench into Satan always being the manipulator of events.

19 Micaiah continued, “Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne with all the multitudes of heaven standing around him on his right and on his left. 20 And the LORD said, ‘Who will entice Ahab into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?’

“One suggested this, and another that. 21 Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the LORD and said, ‘I will entice him.’

22 “‘By what means?’ the LORD asked.

“‘I will go out and be a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,’ he said.

“‘You will succeed in enticing him,’ said the LORD. ‘Go and do it.’

• 00DAD
    00DAD

It's the Sequel. It doesn't need to make sense, it's all about the drama!

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

sir82 - "You're looking for coherence and rationality from a book written by Bronze age goatherds?"

Actually I probably should have phrased my question better; Im more interested in what were the explanations that were given for such a seemingly obvious break in logic.

• sir82
    sir82

Aha.

I think the reasoning goes that Satan has a "rule or ruin" personality. Since he knows he can't possibly win, he has decided to take as many as he can with him into destruction.

• biometrics
    biometrics

Don't ask questions. Just take what the slave gives you.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    This does not seem logical

Correct.

You don't need someone smarter than you, or who gets insights from invisible space creatures, to show how it is logical. It just isn't.

Chris

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

NRFG - Interesting I had forgotten about that account. It seems like even the dark characters in the narrative have their part they must play.

• mP
    mP

in egyptian mythology the evil side was dark, cold, death and chaos. light, the sun gives warmth, life and goodness. the jewish text is talking about chaos not as a person but the fight to survive against the obstacles in nature and life. life in those days was hard, crops failed, draufghts happened and so, they were all opponents or satans. they also said other evils gave disease and illness, thats how ancient man thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit