How many here gave up having a family for the sake of the "truth"?

by stuckinarut2 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow
    well, just think, If everyone who became a jw never had kids and avoided marraige, the org would have disapeared a lot sooner...once everyone died off...
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Sowhatnow. You could say I didn't give up having a family but I gave up the family I had. If they all never had kids what would all the pedophiles in their midst do? Stupid people and JWs and their ilk will always be with us.
  • Stumpy
    Stumpy

Here's a quote about marriage and children from the "Face the Facts" booklet in 1938...

Here are the quotes from the "Children" book 3 years later in 1941. It's a little less direct but very manipulative...

The conclusion John and Eunice came to...

And this is what the 1941 Sep 15 Watchtower said, showing how close they thought the end was during this time, (and a perfect example of strong manipulation)...

And yes, me and Mrs Stumpy gave up having kids in this 'system'. The Mar 1, 1988 Watchtower Billy referred to had a LOT to do with that decision. Now we're too old - in our 50's. We got married a bit later in life as we thought we were doing the right thing serving God fulltime while we were single. We will never know the joy of being parents

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Stumpy and wife, I am so very sorry this happened to you. I know of others still in that have no children, some single some married. Some too old and others at the cusp of being too old. This is a horrible man made up publishing house's fault for putting their own interests ahead of anyone else's.

Myself, I wanted children. Lots of children. It would have brought me joy. During my 30's, if I saw a mom pregnant or pushing a stroller, I had to look away so I wouldn't cry. I didn't go to baby showers. It hurt too much. I got pregnant when I was 40 but lost the child. I had always hoped I would have it again in WT's 'Paradise' along with 20, 30, 60 (lol) or more children. (Or as many as I was allowed in WT's 'Paradise').

I just wanted to say I feel for you and all of us who's lives were twisted in a way we would not have planned, if we had not been JW's.

(Hugs) of understanding and support.

LoisLane

• kaik
    kaik

In my congregation we had several women who never were married, and were available after Armageddon. There was also couple who did not had children and the man died, and the wife remained alone for all these years. She must be in her mid 80's. Most of these women were born between 1935-1950, and they kinda sit together without family waiting for big "A" to get married and had children. I feel sorry for them as they wasted their life for nothing. In my generation, there was only one woman who decided to be single and not having any children. I also knew couple who could not conceive a child, the woman was very devastated as she went to many treatments and had several miscarriages.

On the other hands there are JWs who have many children so they can milk welfare and use it free housing, financial support from the state, and they have plenty of time not working but doing a field work. Win win situation.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Noah`s sons and their wives had no children before , during ,or after the flood until dry land appeared or words to that effect.

That was a bloody long time . Whew

Condoms did not exist in those days ,

Must have had a lot of randy sheep on the Ark

just saying.

smiddy

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great quotes Stumpy!

Thanks for sharing them!

We gave up having a family as we were in "full time service" as a bethelite and pioneer ...them as pioneers together..

We would have been great parents....

It cuts us deeply that we were praised for doing this while we were the "spiritual" ones in our late 20's, yet everyone else had families and are now praised for raising ones "in the truth"

The positive I take out of our situation though, is that it would have been much harder to fade with little kids in the mix.

The organizations manipulative techniques with the website for kids means parents are all too willing to entertain their kids with the crap spewed out.(Caleb and Sofia style)

So families with little ones would find it harder to fade...

• dozy
    dozy

Not me personally but I know of several couples who did this.

One particularly sad case was a couple of our congregation who were pioneers but the wife was always loved kids and they kept putting off the decision to start a family hoping Armageddon would come.

Eventually when they were in their late 30's they decided that they were running out of time to have a baby and found that she was infertile due to age. They went through several unsuccessful IVF treatments & eventually gave up in their early 40's. The wife became very bitter about the situation and it nearly broke up their marriage.

• Alive!
    Alive!
    Lois, a gentle hug from me to you X
  • Stumpy
    Stumpy
    Thank you Lois. We are very sorry for all the heartache that you have been through too. You've suffered a lot more than we have. There is so much pain here that could easily have been avoided. The sad thing is we all thought we were doing it for God, that just adds to the pain when you realize it was all for nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit