How many here gave up having a family for the sake of the "truth"?

by stuckinarut2 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

This is a sensitive topic for many of us I know, but I am wondering how many here actually gave up the idea of having a family "in this system" for the sake of "kingdom activity or service"??

Start the count here with my wife and I

• Alive!
    Alive!

Myself....I can think of 5 couples from our congregation. Now aged in their late 50s to 60s.

However, they are all born in with loads of family.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I gave up my actual family for the truth. My parents, my sisters my boyfriend and his family.

The couple that studied with me came by while my boyfriend was at work, we packed everything we could fit into their car and drove away. I lived in the garage of the couple for a few months until I found my own place and I never had anything to do with my former life family or friends again. I still feel bad about that. The cong acted like it was nothing - I did only "what I should have done."

Not what your asking I know, but I felt it falls into the category of giving up family.

I was told about the scripture that promises if we give up houses and mothers and fathers etc etc for my sake (Jesus) we will have them now and more in the coming system of things or some such blahdy blah.

- what a crock of shit that scripture turned out to be.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

its funny you mention this. TODAY i went to the post office and as I got to the door I saw a brother who was an elder with me in my old congregation.I remember him and his wife (both in their early 50's) always used on those parts about giving things up for the org. They both have been pioneering since they got married. Theyeven said in confidence o me how badly they wanted to have kids but would have 12 in the new system.

He is fully gray-headed and honestly a nice brother. Anyway he gets to the door and there is a 30 something there with a 3 year old. He held the door for her and sat there playing with her daughter... Knowing what I know about him I feel so bad because I believe he honestly would be a good dad.

Dreams and happiness given up for this stupid org

• Alive!
    Alive!

Sparrowdown,

I remember many stories of those who "gave up family" for the religion. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

And the attraction of "family" that was promised, a global brotherhood .....using exactly that scripture.

I remember getting into the new habit of calling my Mother and Father and my non- witness friends "worldly".

My parents believed in God, lived exemplary lives - but just were not religious.

Worldly - yeah right.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

My wife and I were on the track to Gilead, already need greating, and refused children. NONE of our JW friends have kids.

She got preggers by accident, but I was already "waking up". We were stressed and upset.....but not like we thought we would be. We purposely had a second, and both are still very young. Being a mom woke up my wife in part, and its the greatest thing we ever let happen.

I see our friends without children getting to the point where they may not be able to have any....and I just wonder if they will be happy at 60.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thanks for your kind words Alive.

It was one of the most difficult times of my life.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

My two best friends growing up each married young and have never had children.

They are now in their early 40s and it's likely too late to change their minds, even if they wanted to.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I was postponing both marriage and children until after the big A.

Little did I realize that "the big A" would be Apostasy!

So now I have to get serious and figure out if I've really got myself together and want to marry. Someone my age with or without children? Someone younger and start a family?

Since much of my family is similarly childless and painfully aware of the mistake of not having kids, seeing new growth on this aging family tree would be very, very interesting.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!!!

My wife and I decided it was far too late in this system of things to be having kids. She got a bit rocky in her decision just after I faded. By then, I knew there was no way we would raise a child together with our differences about "the truth." I told her we had decided not to have children and we are going to stay with that.

It's far enough past that now and I don't need to worry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit