Denise must be 60+ years old now.

Masterji

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking...

Oh, this looks like a DELISH thread!!!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Now coming from a perspective of an avg dub, (like me at the time), we heard rumours of how efficiant the prionting was, that the military would take observers there as the WT had the printers operating at speeds faster then they were designed for. We had it in our minds that we were doing it the most efficiant way, at lower costs, because Jah was blessing our work. Had no idea what a bunch of bumbling idoits they were

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I wouldn't assume that it's exactly a sellers' market for printing presses right now.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thank you Barbara and Randy!

I knew they still had a Lithoman on sale from the Wallkill Printery. I don't know if they sold it yet.

I just read about the thinning of the magazines and now 12 more web presses being sold?

They must really be hurting to have to cut back printing so much.

If you read the 1973 g, I'm sorry I forget which issue- you will see a major cover feature , about half the magazine-on the Society's increasing and expanding their printing operations worldwide and how other religious publications were folding.

The article showed this was proof of Jehovah's blessing on the society.

It mentioned Randy, that one average day's production of books in just the Brooklyn Printery alone made a stack of books FOUR times the height of the Empire State Building! Over 100,000 per day.

( Wallkill does that many now.)

During the 70's and the 80's there were MANY articles in the km and the magazines about the ever expanding facilities to keep up with the increasing demand for more Bible-based literature as this was visible PROOF of God's blessings and that they were the one true religion-God's Channel of communication.

I loved these articles. It convinced me that the wts IS God's organization.

Even though I have not been a witness for over 6 years now, it is surprising to hear of what keeps developing: instead of expanding their printing operations, the wts keeps having to downsize.

This was something that gave me doubts back in 2003 and 2004 when they decided to consolate all the US printing to Wallkill.

I told my brother years ago that the way things were going with the society eventually they would cut down on book production and use tracts much more.

Now that seems all the more so evident although I am surprised by the thinning of the magazines. Only 16 pages each?

I wish I could tell my brother about this info but he won't listen to me about anything I say about the society.

Jehovah's rich blessing is upon them.

• factfinder
    factfinder

mind blown-you mention you were surprised to see the low quality of paper the society is now using.

Actually, someone left the March issues at our house and I see they are printed on the silky paper again-it gives it a nice gloss. The books are nicely made too.

Which publications do you feel have been printed on low qaulity paper?

One thing I have to give the society credit for- they print nice looking, colorful publications.

Too bad the information printed is lies most of the time.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Barb said:

After I wrote my last post the thought came to me that because the one press mentioned in the links I posted was an old one, this could indicate that the business decision was made to get rid of as many of the old ones and buy sleak up-to-date presses, though less of them, to print less literature at less cost.

We will know they are buying new presses when they start the begging and obligating parts on the Service Meeting.

• steve2
    steve2

The stand-out message from all of this is a legacy of the exorbitantly wasteful financial behaviour of the Watchtower which peaked throughout the 1970s and 1980s. The huge cost of these presses - based on donations from the rank and file - and now those presses are virtually redundant.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Maybe they are asking for credit/debit card donations to fund new presses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit