A little bit of news about WT selling high-speed presses

by AndersonsInfo 18 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Some news someone out there might be interested in - I have copied it as I received it from a former JW in Spain. (I don't know anything more than what was in the email.)

" Watchtower, through an Australian witness and its staff in the
    branch offices in Germany, is selling high-speed presses, including that
    purchased from Italy in 2003; has altogether more than 12 presses for sale
    and other equipment."

http://komiteajalvir.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/la-watch-y-sus-empresas-pantallas.html
    http://www.alibaba.com/product/gaulke-111938185-0/KBA_S_60.html
    http://komiteajalvir.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/otra-rotativa-timocratica-la-venta.html
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/111940518/LITHOMAN_III.html

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Are those presses from locations that are shutting down, or downsizing?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

of course they dont need so many presses as they intend us all to download litterature onto our own paper, and prolly pay a fee for the copyright photos.

Those that are left will print leaflets and the pygmy edition of the pubic mags.

HB

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I think that WT's sale of presses has something to do with the slimming of the Watchtower and Awake! magazines and their future announcement about a bigger Internet use. It's only a matter of time that even the Kingdom Ministry will be included in the one Watchtower meant solely for JWs, so what do they need so many presses for, etc.?

From personal experience I know that WT leaders pick the brains of the brightest JWs for information from within particular fields that they have an interest in. Plus, they pay for advice from "worldly" experts when they get desperate. And, no doubt, the experts are suggesting that the only way to survive is to go with the Internet.

The world is changing so quickly because of technology and WT leaders are trying to play catch-up. They were the last ones to buy state-of-the-art presses when 4-color printing became the in thing. They held onto outdated presses until they couldn't find parts. (That's quite a story to tell that maybe someone on JWN can post about.) Now, WT is facing the fact that printed publications - books, magazines, belong to a passing age. They know this because they have the falling-fast-figures of literature placements and are once again getting desperate, so they have changed tactics. But it won't work because like printed material, WT's out-dated message also belongs to a passing age.

Barbara

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I was building 3 floor 6th Floor Overseer for a number of years during the late 70s, and we were the sole floor responsible for printing larger quantities of Bibles (one million was about the smallest run we did in English, up to 5 million at a whack), AID books, and anything else printed on cigarette paper. The day before I left Bethel I was appointed assistant Pressroom Overseer. I gave them a surprise by not going back, after the Franz incident. :-)) Shows how much I cared about their prestige.

The GB was about to spend 60 million dollars on converting 60 MAN presses (40 at Brooklyn, then the Farm, Italy, etc.) that in the end cost them $400,000+ each. They were letterpress (obsolete then!) and because they used lead plates and took so long to "make ready" before a job, they were not suitable for color printing of anything but shallow one-color pages. The Japanese wanted to convert them to offset for $1 million each, and without dryers! The GB wanted to print the new "My Book of Bible Stories" in full color and magazine size.

We freaked. They wanted to print full color books on a letterpress?? Besides all the other cost-inefficient aspects of this, the major thing that was lacking was DRIERS for the ink on the paper. Letterpress simply punched depressions in the paper where the ink hid until it was dry. But you couldn't print one color on top of the other without a mess. I suggested to Tom Cabeen that we should run the web up two stories to Calvin Chyke's office to let his hot air dry the paper, then send it back down via rollers to the sixth floor.

So Tom's proposal to purchase twelve Harris offset presses for $12 million (about $1 million each) and do the job perfect, and sell ALL the MANs for CHEAP, in spite of all our cost accounting studies, trips to the Government printing office in DC, and pleas to the factory overseers like Wheelock ("wheels") and Calvin Chyke, it was too much for their egos, and it was a "waste of money" to "throw away" 60 presses, kept our proposal under wraps. (They wasted FAR MORE money the way things were!) I had been in charge of experimental printing for a year, so was directly involved, plus I was the only one to get the Wood-Hoe press running any production after years of mechanics worked on it and quit.

The Watchtower was grossly inefficient because they wouldn't listen to the outside printing world. $millions were wasted in paper and downtime each year. The $1.6 million Wood-Hoe was a disaster - the books looked like each page was rubber-stamped. I printed 100,000 "Truth" books and took copies to Max Larson. They dumped them on the Bethelites cheap and later got rid of the press. When the monster ran it shook the entire building, the swaying had to make the machine shop two floors below shut down because their lathes went off it was so bad.Finally Tom took the matter to Dan Sydlik (his friend) and the Factory Committee had not even mad the proposal known to the GB! That flipped the switch, and they converted to offset, sending the MANs to the other branches. :-)) They were peons anyway.

I think they are finally listening to outsiders as to how one inch of extra margin in paper can cost a lot of money. One 16-page magazine is ONE SIGNATURE, meaning it could be run on one press two-copies up, instead of one copy at 32 pages. So they are learning eficiency. It doesn't necessarily mean they are hurting for money, it's just that they finally wised up. (Of course their whole printing operation must run at a loss now).

So I made light of the story in my spare time on 3-6 by putting together comics like these.

from my "Bethel Files" on www.randallwatters.org:

http://www.randallwatters.org/Bethel/toons/convert1.htm

the
    Pressroom Conversion
    Enigma (part I)

It all started when a busload of Japanese businessmen blitzed Bethel in the late 70's and took pictures of everything imaginable that could possibly be redesigned or improved. We knew it was a bad omen. We were "sitting ducks" for such schemes, being isolated from the current printing technology of the world around us. We had the truth, THEY didn't.

The players in this drama are as follows:

Calvin Chyke and Richard Wheelock(factory committee) (Colonel Klink and Sargeant Shultz, for you "Hogan's Heros" fans)

Tom "Cab" Cabeen, Jim "Peach" Petrie and Randy "Watt" Watters(pressroom overseers) (angels, of course!)

Milan Miller, Harry Johnson and Cal Cruder (press installer and his mechanics) (Dogbert w/spectacles, Jay Leno pussy-whipped and the Lone Ranger)

younger publisher:Boy, Cal, with all that time you spent at Bethel, you must have done a lot to advance Kingdom interests in the pressroom...Cal:I remember the nyloprint... (crank the reels up!)
    [Nyloprint was a plate material made of plastic that appeared a promising alternative to the expensive route of converting to offset. Believe me, we tried everything first!]

Cal:All of our printing looked like CRAP! I figured out the REAL solution...[It was opposing atomic charges between the plates and God knows what else.
    Naturally, we mocked him behind his back!]

Cal: But then there were these unbelievers...Harry: ...And I thought it was the bearers! (printing cylinder end-bearers)Cal:But Milan, surely any atomic physicist can fix it!Milan:I'm TOO BUSY! Besides, it's static electricity, not "plus" or "minus"!

Milan: We need to record the minutes of this meeting.
    Cal:Minutes! We can't count just minutes!
    Milan:How come?
    Cal:This represents half of my life in research and lab tests and consultation and...
    Harry:But we must check the bearers!

[Later, after actually VISITING other printing facilities and asking questions, we discovered that (duh!) we were just asking too much of an old technology, and we needed to get offset presses!]

Cal:Here I am the only one who worries about a moronic problem that no one could possibly give a damn about! Then, after 24 minutes, they solve the problem in a couple of seconds, and they all get together at the end and chuckle at me!!
    Harry: But why insist on having such dumb premises anyway?
    Cal:I will no longer throw my pearls before swine!

[Cal is deflated and he and Edda decide to leave Bethel and start a new life.]
    Harry:I hope this gets you home okay, Cal.
    Cal:I'm sure it will, Harry.
    Harry:I just hope it's able to tow the other two vehicles behind!
    [other press mechanics left, too!]

NEXT in Part II: How to tell the factory committee
    that we HAVE to go offset, since our alternatives don't work!

• mind blown
    mind blown

I dunno, I agree with Dogpatch... it's most likely a new business plan. WTS saves ink, paper, presses, employee time. I bet they're probably getting updated digital type presses that are more efficient and cost effective. I was asurpised to see the latest low end qaulity of hard bound books and WT paper. They are cutting corners for sure and saving money.

Also, if they have an excuse to revamp their site, they can get rid of many things like memorial partakers info......etc.....I believe. Plus, if they flood the internet with more WT propaganda (maybe in their pin head minds) they think they can combat opposers info.

I don't believe they can get too far with their new internet format/scheme. Many many who are vunrable to their cluctches either are not computer literate or can not afford a computer. It's a fact, even in Manhattan. Most JW's as well as KH are in lower class areas.

At the same time, maybe in the near future certain JW's who can afford and Ipad, etc. will be using them at WT meetings and the WTS will be selling the hardware......$$$$$

I think with all the selling off of property, etc is a new business plan as well as shelding their assists. Plus, you need more money to make more money$$$

All just a guess and speculations

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

This definately exists all the way down to the cong level. I think the dubs just think that Jah is going to step in and fix everything anyways

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Thanks Randy for telling the story. And mind blown, I agree with Dogpatch too. After I wrote my last post the thought came to me that because the one press mentioned in the links I posted was an old one, this could indicate that the business decision was made to get rid of as many of the old ones and buy sleak up-to-date presses, though less of them, to print less literature at less cost. Even though the new presses will be cost-efficient, with less pages to print, smaller and smaller books, and downloading the latest magazines and other material from the WT's website, it makes sense that there isn't a need for as many presses or branch pressrooms and personnel as before.

Barb

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

Thanks for the info Barbara and Randy.

If they WT would put most of its literature on it's website and "encourage" the witnesses to get a e-reader or Tablet, then a majority of the witnesses would get one. Theirs cheap ones out there besides the ipad. I'm sure if the GB/Jehovah says get something, the witnesses will listen and scuff up the money.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hi Barb,

Oddly enough I dated the daughter (Denise) of Reginald Doer (Dewar?) in Canoga Park before I left for Bethel. Maybe HE set me up for the amazing privileges I had. I and Lewwis Williamson were the only ones out of a class of new boys of 80 that got nice jobs. :-)) But I was a Ford tune-up mechanic on the line at Ford agencies (my dad managed at one time or another about 25% of the Ford agencies in Los Angeles) and perhaps he passed the word on. They never tell you. But I was sure glad not to be in the laundry or desk work!

Anyways, he was buyer and seller of printing presses for the WT, and claimed to be of the anointed. He was well in tune with Ralph Lindem, then the purchasing agent for large equipment. They enlisted Reg to sell the Wood-Hoe to China. :-)) I don't know what really happened to it. Wood Hoe built it for the WT specifically, and never built another because of its major problems. The 3 printing cylinders were 4.5 feet in diameter and 72" long! With each revolution of the cylinders, 4 TRUTH books were printed. It was designed to print 100k books in a 12 hour shift. At that time we were DAILY printing a stack of books twice the height of the Empire State Building and were in the Guinness book of records for 7 of the top 10 most printed books (Truth book mainly), The Bible and Mao's little Red Book were #1 and #2.

Reg got me a job for a year at Anderson Lithograph in L.A. the year after I left Bethel. We printed slick 6 color brochures for Honda and Scientology. :-))

Randy

And yes, they always dump their old equipment on the other branches.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit