A Message to Women From a Man

by palmtree67 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Recognition of how we have been manipulated is an excellent first step. Hardest is finding out how to respond without feeling guilt or fear or recognising not everyone is out to manipulate us.

A narcissitic mother, an abusive husband, conversion into a high mind control cult and then being attcked in my own home by a masked intruder has left me fearful of people and the outside world. I always feel "not good enough".

Three years on I take 2 steps forward and 1 step back and am back on meds again. Articles like this really help me see there are many ways people and society manipulate us and knowledge like this is empowering in helping people like me take those steps. I always felt I had to make myself into what other people wanted me to be and not be who I actually was.

Thankyou

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Great article, I am going to print it (because I do work in the mental health field) and use it as a group discussion. Often my patients get this type of reaction when they have a legit complaint about a family member " oh there you go off the deep end again". NMKA

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

This is an interesting subject. Though these situations occur between different types of people regardless of gender. Tammy mentioned this.

For example my wife is focused, rather unemotional and rarely shares her feelings. As a result she prefers me not to share mine and accuses me of being sensitive, emotional and defensive. Only the last of these three is good news for a gladiator.

It may have more to do with which side of our brain is dominant. Women are generally though to be more right brain thinkers but this very much a generalisation. Thank you for letting me share; now I feel loved!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Great comments, everyone!

This part:

From the way women are portrayed on reality shows, to how we condition boys and girls to see women, we have come to accept the idea that women are unbalanced, irrational individuals, especially in times of anger and frustration.

....I cringe everytime I hear a husband say about his wife, "Oh, you're just angry with me because it's that time of the month."

Like it never occurs to him that maybe she's angry because he's being an idiot.

It reminds me of that saying:

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit