Disfellowshipped Over Celebrating Holidays?

by garbonzo 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

I found this:

Worldly celebrations such as Christmas - ks91-E p.95 (It appears celebrating birthdays is not a reason to be disfellowshipped

ks91-E is the Pay Attention to Yourselves Elder's book, right? Well I can't find that on page 95 in that book! WTF?

• steve2
    steve2

Well, broadly speaking I think you're right in your assumption. However, one of my more fun-loving JW aunties was once disfellowshipped for getting kissed under the mistletoe. She never did clarify what part of the body that was and all the elders in the judicial room with her were even tighter-lipped.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Yeah, nothing in the'secret books', lol.

Maybe it should be km instead of ks?

In the meantime, just hit the dubs with Romans 14:5

• mind blown
    mind blown

I do believe I read a post where a faded JW couple had Christmas decorations on their house, someone snitched them off and ened up in an elders meeting only to get DF'd.

The elders will reason you're still a JW (since you didn't DA yourself) and will stumble an outsider, and or you do not believe the WTS is Gods orginization anymore. You can also be labeled an apostate for celebrating pagan holidays.

You can't say you have doubts (that you kept to yourself) because you've already stated a position contrary to the WTS. They will expect you to repent or get DF'd.....that is of course if you get caught. I'm pretty sure of this.

• nugget
    nugget

Wordly celebrations such as.... is a catch all it doesn't list all celebrations so the elders can easily substitute any appropriate celebration into the gap including Birthdays. The bottom line is if you are not following the faith as taught by JWs you can be disfellowshipped. Part of their teachings is prohibition on Birthdays.

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

Collosians Ch2v6-23 gives Dubs cause for thought as well. Especially v16

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Mindblown is right. It isn't the act of celebrating a holiday that will get you DFd. It is the investigation they will launch BECAUSE of your celebration of a holiday that will do the trick. If they can find two people that you've talked to within the congregation that will admit that you told them you see nothing wrong with a particular holiday.......they can construe that to mean that you are rejecting the organization and creating a sect and trying to pull others away from the organization and follow in your footsteps. Or perhaps the elders may want to meet with you to give you some "encouragement" once they learn of your holiday decor. Their real intent will likely be to get you to say something incriminating. A simple "I think the governing body is wrong about holidays" = "I do not recognize their authority".

Similar to the fact that AIDS doesn't kill a person......it just lowers the immune system so that another sickness can finish the person off. A celebration of a holiday will not get you DF'd necessarily....but the door to other accusations that it opens will finish you off.

• mP
    mP

are not jws having meetings on SUN day celebrating the holy sun ?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think a poster here told me he had faded, and had a Christmas swag over a door and got df'd.

Or maybe they are getting creative again, and they don't actually DF you, but YOU da by your actions. They are all about the word games for sure.

NC

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

well my lights are still up I guess I should take them down being spring and all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit