Memorial - Why do i keep going?

by maisha 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

used to sit in a movie in my youth and think, wow i am so lucky, all these people are going to die and i will live forever.

I used to think like this. I always thought if my parents had not become JW I would never have been one. I would never be a regular attender at the hall. I don't like large groups of people. Then I wouldn't be saved.

I missed a memorial one year due to being pretty ill. I felt so guilty.

Now I no longer have those feelings. I'm happy that it's not a requirement for me to attend the Kingdom Hall to gain salvation.

• nugget
    nugget

@djeggnogg I am concerned that some of your comments can be seen as offensive to other posters. I would say that you are demonstrating the very judgemental, superior attitude that drove the OP from the organisation in the first place. I am also concerned that you are offering advice and opinion in the guise of an elder in good standing. If the society knew that you regularly posted here there may be some reprecussions since sites such as this one are disapproved of. How can members of this board trust you advice regarding acceptance within the congregation when you don't follow the rules laid down by those congregations? In the same way if you knew an elder was committing immorality would you go to that person for spiritual guidance.

I appreciate that you may feel that you are a lone voice here but perhaps you need to investigate your own compulsion for attention first and your addiction to apostacy before you have freeness of speech to preach to anyone here.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure, and the intelligent are full of doubt" Bertrand Russell.

Nugget, you are awesome!

• mP
    mP

is it just me, or does egg sound like a nutty fundy muslim issuing a fatwa on unbeluevers ?

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Well you are not crazy! The memorial was the last part of JW's that I gave up. My last meeting was the memorial of 09. Even 2010 I did a "memorial" at home. by 2011 I no longer held the beliefe and now ummmm when is it?

Funny when a JW I used to think why anyone would miss it. Even DF and DA should attend ONCE a year and show respect.... So maybe some of that thinkng is stuck in your brain

FS

• Gayle
    Gayle

There are probably about 12M, non-pubs, going. Maybe a lot are like you. Probably many are stuck in the "why?" Some, because of family; some book student, feeling obligated to their book teacher; some, for their JW friendship; some, because of some JW hook remaining yet in their brain causing long-term 'brain farts.'

I hope you can start reading books, like Hassan's and Ray Franz's and others. You know we read hundreds of WT books and magazines, often starting in our childhood years, formative years. The WT mind-control tactics went deep into our brains. A lot to unravel. With reading a lot helps and listening to others processing it all that have been there.

Best wishes and congrats on the progress you certainly have survived.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@etna:

djeggnog, Why do you go to the memorial. Didn't Jesus say to keep doing this until I return. He "returned in 1914". So why do they still do this. Have [Christendom] got it right or does Jesus come many times?

Jesus returned invisibly with kingly power when the Gentile Times ended in 1914 and thus it was in 1914 that he began to rule in the midst of his enemies just as the psalmist had foretold. The second presence of the shepherd of God's sheep, which is an invisible presence in the spirit, had returned as the newly enthroned king of God's kingdom, and the visible circumstantial evidence of this was the fulfillment of the composite sign that Jesus had given at Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21. Jesus had foretold global warfare of a magnitude that had never occurred on this planet, as well as an noticeable increase in earthquakes, and pestilences and food shortages on a scale that had never been seen, which he said would only be the "beginning of pangs of distress."

With the events that subsequently unfolded after WWI, the reputation of the "two witnesses" was killed in fulfillment of Revelation 11:1-11 when the messenger of the covenant had come to his spiritual temple in 1918, but after obtaining their release from Babylon the Great after their exoneration from the false charges that had caused the proclamation of the established kingdom of God to be temporarily halted back in 1918, this gave further circumstantial evidence that the master had returned to inspect his slaves upon their release from incarceration in 1919 at which time the "spirit of life from God entered into them" and the spiritual nation was reborn.

You asked why do we do this, but you can know by reading 1 Corinthians 11:26 in your own copy of the Bible why: We simply must continue to observe the Memorial of Christ's death as a remembrance of Jesus "until he arrives," that is to say, until all of Jesus' anointed followers become absent from their bodies and are present with Jesus in their glorified bodies. Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 after he had obtained kingdom power, but he obviously has not yet come as God's executioner, as Jesus' coming will soon follow the great tribulation, so as to what Christendom teaches as to the Lord's evening meal being a sacrament that imparts merit for forgiveness of sins to those participating in it, no, Christendom does not have it right.

The Roman Catholic Church, for example, who has its own beliefs regarding the Eucharist, teaches the Eucharistic bread to be a symbol of the church community, when the bread actually symbolizes Jesus' sinless fleshly body that he offered up in sacrifice for the life of the world, while the wine symbolizes Jesus' blood that makes operative the new covenant and those that rightly partake of the emblems and eat and drink during the ceremony acknowledge the kingdom covenant as being operative toward them.

Those of us that do not partake of the emblems recognize as observers that while they have not been sanctified through the offering of Jesus' body once for all time as have those in the kingdom covenant, they are under the covenant and derive the benefits that flow therefrom as beneficiaries under the kingdom covenant, including forgiveness of sins and righteousness being imputed to them.

Although you may not want to do so, @etna, I believe we should all want to attend the Memorial of Christ's Death as an acknowledgment of the fact that we owe our salvation to both Jehovah God and to the Lamb, the Lord Jesus Christ, since it is because of them that we today are able to serve day and night in God's temple in association with the anointed kingdom heirs here on earth, who are God's temple. (Revelation 7:15; Ephesians 2:21, 22)

@mediator007:

First I personally do not think you are crazy at all. Rather I think your feelings are quite normal and are attributable to one of two things. Possibly you keep attending due to the fifty years of teaching concerning the importance of this particular event and the significance of the date and occasion. Certainly attending for that reason alone is not wrong. Additionally, although you perhaps recognize the errors of the societies teachings, you may yet realize the importance and need to show your appreciation for the ransom sacrifice of our Lord and savior. Once again, this is a proper and noble thing to do.

I agree with your remarks here. I'm sorry to hear though that because of your belief that Jehovah's Witnesses is not God's organization and your unwillingness to accept that God's anointed is not God's sole channel of communication, that you have decided not to the attend the Memorial of Christ's Death for the "first time in 34 years."

@djeggnog

• nugget
    nugget

eggnogg leave your agenda aside for a moment you owe someone an apology.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Do it..................

• sizemik
    sizemik

@EggNog . . .

People are quite entitled to express their opinion without having to answer to you. You don't have to single out people you don't even know and start attaching derogatory labels because their opinion differs from yours . . . let alone start stalking them using the PM system. You know what I'm talking about.

Now cut it out and stop being a prize prick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit