old literature

by independenthinker 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Flossycat
    Flossycat

Don't know where you live, but if you'd like to come to Melbourne, Australia, I know someone who's got almost the complete WTB&T Society books and magazines (a whole room full) since 1900. I was amazed first time I saw her collection. She's helped hundreds of JWs out of the org. I think she'd be happy to show you whatever you'd like to read.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hee hee!!!

My comment will be a little "off-topic"...

Buuuuuuut....

I FINALLY got my hands on one of those "Photodrama of Creation" books that usually cost SO much on the various used-books sites!!!

Mine only cost $15...

Yippee!!!

But - now that I've got it - I don't quite see what the fuss is all about... Sure, it has purty red/gold foil - er, would that be 'frontspiece'??? And gilt-edged pages... And lots of pickturesss....

When I eventually get around to reading this thing - it was printed in 1914, ironically enough - I'll probably post some quotes - skimming it just now, there were some funny illustrations of "Satan" and "hell"...

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I just keep my eyes and ears open. I also ask. I have been particularly interested in the Rutherford Rainbow. My collection is almost complete *rubs hands together manically*

I am still on the look out for the Finished Mystery.

I have paid for (gack) a couple of them, but most have been given to me.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Blonde-moment, you lucky duck!!! I have to BUY mine!!!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    they had multiple pages of printed material from the Watchtower CD ROM, which didn't even address the original question.

Never let them off the hook.

Never let them pretend that the answer is in the Such and Such book. They know damned well it isn't or they would have told you the answer themselves. Make them pay. Sit them down with their reference material and ask them to show you how it answers your question. Restate the question. Act offended if they insult your intelligence, lie, divert, etc..

If they need to go and get more info, make them promise a time or date.

If they don't get back to you on it, you want to know why? They do not get to start another subject while one is still hanging.

Guilt

Guilt

Guilt

They need to know they are being dishonest.

They need to know you know they are being dishonest.

They need to know that they have trashed their moral high ground with their dishonesty.

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I really wish I had my grandmothers old library. She had the whole library. She had everything back to Russells day. She also had the holy grail. All the published magazines, she bound herself, she never bought the revised bound volumes. (She was just frugal, she had no idea - I'm sure- that they had been revised)

• biometrics
    biometrics

@Black Sheep

I did try that once. It didn't get anywhere, the elder sat there with a blank look on his face and said "I dunno ****, I've been over the answer with you three times now. Maybe you need to pray about this subject, and if you can re-study the material I've given you", to wich I said "But the material simply doesn't answer my question", he replied with "Sometimes we just need to trust in Jehovah, and his loving organisation".

I could have had a better conversation with my dog. At least he listens.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Go to used book stores, thrift shops, flea markets, etc. Over the years, I have run across many Russell and Rutherford era books for next to nothing. You can sell any that you don't want on Ebay, and keep the ones that you do want. If you were to make a list of the items that you want, others can help keep an eye out for you when they are out and about.

Of course there is Ebay to buy Old literature, but you will pay top dollar. I only buy on Ebay if there is something that I know I probably won't be able to get anywhere else.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I think the PDFs are a better option- they take up much less space and you can search for key words with Adobe. Ionly buy the books to stop some innocent person from reading them & being misled. Eventually I will burn them all.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    he replied with "Sometimes we just need to trust in Jehovah, and his loving organisation".

That is why your question should always throw doubt on the selection of the bOrg as Jehovah's channel.

How is his plea any different to a Catholic asking a doubting parishioner to trust in God and the Church? If the Catholic waits on Jesus, or waits on the Pope, to have his doubts quelled, will he ever get the right answer? No? Lead him in a merry dance back to your original question to demonstrate why such questions need to be answered in order to have any confidence that waiting on the god of whatever church you belong to is ever likely to get you an answer that actually does come from God and not just from a bunch of deluded old men in the Vatican, Salt Lake City, Brooklyn, wherever.

He must understand that YOU see HIM as using circular reason, and that if using circular reasoning is OK by the WT, how does that not drag themselves down to the same level as any other church that demands its parishioners turn their brain off when the questions get difficult?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit