old literature

by independenthinker 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• independenthinker
    independenthinker

hey guys, me again.

thanks for all the help, i was wondering how to get my hands on the old literature, i was gonna ask this nice older brother i know if he could get me some old books? i really wanna see the failed proph...... old light for myself. thanks!

• watson
    watson

Ehh, you don't need to do that kind of research, just read what is on this forum. Take our word for it.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Ive got a pretty good selection at my Freeminds Store... actually I have some like 1969 and 1985 Interlinears and Rutherford books I have not on the list yet.

http://www.freeminds-store.com/jw-books.html

Randy

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

You can always view them online:

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/archive.htm

There are scans on file sharing sites and http://www.archive.org/details/WatchtowerLibrary (the links are confusing now - if you right click on any 'PDF' and then click 'inspect element' you can scroll up and down and see the titles/years).

• independenthinker
    independenthinker

thanks!

strictly geenteel is great as its from a jw,

They will rarely - if ever - discuss doctrine. They tend to focus on the areas of personal attack, or attack 'controversial' topics. Very often, I suspect, these are areas in which the site's author has particular difficulty. For instance, it may be that they do not like preaching from house-to-house, so efforts are made to try to show that such a practice is unnecessary - or even unscriptural. Perhaps they have been disfellowshipped; then they try to show that this scriptural practice is somehow wrong. The most common areas seem to be:

Disfellowshipping

Blood transfusion

The authority of the Watch Tower Society

Child abuse issues

Are Jehovah's Witnesses prophets?

Yet, while they are trying to focus attention on these matters, they ignore the fact that the beliefs of Jehovah's witnesses are based on the Bible. While they attempt to focus your mind on these subject, please bear in mind the following:

Where did you learn the truth from the Bible? From the churches?

Where do you see genuine love in action?

guessing he lifted this from a wt article?

• independenthinker
    independenthinker

and watson, i had to laugh!

• independenthinker
    independenthinker

one question: shouldnt this chart have something about 1975 on it? http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/babylon/babylonchart.html

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    They will rarely - if ever - discuss doctrine. They tend to focus on the areas of personal attack, or attack 'controversial' topics.

Control

Control

Control

Control

They do not get to choose the topic.

You do.

If you don't, they will just lead you on an insane dance around every awkward question you ever ask.

Every time they answer your question ...pause and ask yourself ... did they really answer the question that I asked?

If they didn't, accuse them of whatever trickery they used to weasel their way out of answering a genuine question from their own son/brother/dad/whatever and restate your question without rephrasing it. They have to feel guilt for trying to fool you/dishonesty/double standards etc..

Make them read a 'difficult' article to you and explain it. You shut up except to guilt them for any subterfuge.

If you need a specific publication and you can't Google up a PDF, or all the links are dead, ask for it giving the full name and year of publication.

You should get a WTCD if you don't already have one. If you quote from that, your JW hasn't got any sane way of denying they said it.

A good example from the WTCD is "The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah - How?" from 1971. Page 216, paragraph 9. Get your Dub to read it to you and explain it, then keep him honest.

9 Shortly, within our twentieth century, the “battle in the day of Jehovah” will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom. The ancient “soil of Israel” pictures the realm in which Christendom has operated. It pictures the standing and relationship that Christendom has claimed to occupy with God by means of his “new covenant” of which Jesus Christ is the mediator. Now is no time for anyone in Christendom to rely on any righteousness on the basis of his own merits and to boast of his own self-righteousness. Jehovah’s “sword” of warfare will cut off from this position that Christendom’s clergy claim for her all religionists who depend upon her having an acceptable standing with God.

• biometrics
    biometrics

@Black Sheep

Before I left the JWs I started asking questions. Your post describes exactly how devout JWs responded when I asked difficult questions.

Mostly when I asked questions they said they'd get back to me. On the rare occasion they did get back to me, they had multiple pages of printed material from the Watchtower CD ROM, which didn't even address the original question.

My advice on JW critical question asking is:- you'd be wasting your time.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

one question: shouldnt this chart have something about 1975 on it?

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/babylon/babylonchart.html

Too early. This chart was from a 1963 book. The 1975 balloon went up in 1966.

w66 10/15 pp. 628-629 Rejoicing over "God's Sons of Liberty" Spiritual Feast

To give aid today in this critical time to prospective sons of God," announced President Knorr, "a new book in English, entitled 'Life Everlasting-in Freedom of the Sons of God,' has been published." At all assembly points where it was released, the book was received enthusiastically. Crowds gathered around stands and soon supplies of the book were depleted. Immediately its contents were examined. It did not take the brothers very long to find the chart beginning on page 31, showing that 6,000 years of man's existence end in 1975. Discussion of 1975 overshadowed about everything else. "The new book compels us to realize that Armageddon is, in fact, very close indeed," said a conventioner. Surely it was one of the outstanding blessings to be carried home!

Scans of this chart can be found on THIS THREAD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit