• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

ISALM - they kill you for it

• Glander
    Glander

Isalm is bad stuff

• barry
    barry

Someone mentioned the 7th day Adventists.

Growing up as an Adventist I can remember the church haveing problems with apostates. There was what was callled the 'awakening message' lead by Robert Brinsmead who had been disfellowshiped but his followers still went to church splitting many churches in half. I can remember the ordinary church folk would sit on one side of the church the brinsmeads as we called them would sit on the other. Brinsmead and his followers were perfectionists and accused the church of herecy.

Today there are still apostate groups one I have just been reading about is in England Australia and the states. They don't beleive in the holy Trinity and are accusing the church of being apostate because originally the SDAs were Arian just like the JWs. They refer to the doctrine of the trinity as the Omega herecy. These people are causing the church great concern as they gather disciples around them but the church is reluctent to act against them because of money.

Barry

• Violia
    Violia

When I was googling the Pentecostal religion I found out that it ( in it's many forms) has a lot of members . Wiki refers to Catholicism, Protestantism and the Pentecostals as the 3 major divisions of Christianity. Pentecostals really do seem to have fighting and they do Excommunicate. The article said they tend to attract the poor and are the fastest growing religion in developing countries.

"Estimated to number around 115 million followers worldwide in 2000, Pentecostalism is sometimes referred to as the "third force of Christianity", the first two being Catholicism and Protestantism. [ 102 ] Pentecostal and Charismatic church growth is rapid in many parts of the world. [ 103 ] [ 104 ] The great majority of Pentecostals are to be found in developing countries although much of their international leadership is still in North America. The movement is enjoying its greatest surge today in the global South, which includes Africa, Latin America, and most of Asia. [ 105 ] [ 106 ] One reason for this growth is Pentecostalism's appeal to the poor. [ 107 ] According to a United Nations report, the movement has "been the most successful at recruiting its members from the poorest of the poor."

• steve2
    steve2
    Growing up as an Adventist I can remember the church haveing problems with apostates.

Hi Barry. Good to hear your views on this. I was raised in a JW family; however, one of my best childhood friends was raised in a 7th-Day Adventist family. My JW mother couldn't understand why I spent so much time with my friend. My friend's mother who was a strict 7th-Day Adventist couldn't stand me and literally tried to shoo me away from their home. Didn't work! . He was quite simply one of the best friends I ever had.

Back to topic, your observations about the tendency of Adventist churches to split resonates with the Adventists I knew. One local Adventist started his own house group and attracted quite a few of the Adventists to meet with him. He was kicked out of the church. I don't know whether they call it excommunication but he was definitely not welcome back in the SDA church.

A few years or so before Ray Franz hit the headlines with his exodus from the Watchtower, a well known 7th-Day Adventist minister in the USA published a book called "The White Lie" allegedly exposing the 7th-Day Adventist prophetess Ellen G White. This caused quite a heated controversy among SDAs. He and some other SDA ministers were "de-frocked' and forbidden from preaching/teaching in the SDA churches. I got a copy of the book out of the library and some pro-SDA reader had gone through the book and wrote copious notes and rebuttals in the margins. I couldn't believe that someone could feel so strongly aboutsuch a book that they went through the whole book, line by line, commenting on everything. I also couldn't believe that someone could show such disrespect for books and write all over them. Besides, I prefer to make up my own mind when I read books rather than being spoon-fed the opinions and biases of other readers. Anyway, just some reflections on the SDAs some of which concur with your reflections.

• steve2
    steve2

stillajwexelder and glander: you both mention ISALM - do you by any chance mean ISLAM?

• barry
    barry

Gday Steve,

In the SDAs apostates can be easily identified. See the pagan maltese crosses and flowing robes and he is preaching in an SDA church. At least this would be the opinion of some SDAs also see the comment underneath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbrV1cbJ-g&feature=related

• barry
    barry

I must explain. Imagine that guy dressed that way if he were to walk into a kingdom hall dressed like that and get up to give the public talk. Some SDAs would react the same way. Barry

• harleybear
    harleybear

Dear Yadda: They are running scared

• steve2
    steve2

Hmmm Barry the apostate preacher labored very long and very hard with the darkness metaphor. My light turned to darkness several times until I hit the mute button. But seriously, I am surprised the preacher's earnestly labored theatrical style of delivery occured in a SDA church. That's quite an apostasy from trad SDA. The few SDA services I attended at different times in my life were low key and unassuming. Some people are drawn to the more melodramatic, let-me-make-my-point-in-the-most-torturous-way possible kind of delivery! It takes all kinds I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit