I love my Congregation and Can't Wait for the District Assembly!

by laverite 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm thinking of attending a UU congregation in a couple of weeks to check it out. I've already read up on it and found it interesting that any offering they collect on Sunday is all given to local charity. Monthly offerings by the members cover all the operating expenses. Official membership requires a commitment toward public charity works. That is so totally not JW.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Billy, aren't you still semi active in your cong or have you totally faded?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I've moved about 90 miles away from my "congregation publisher record card", attending university in a major metropolitan area. I haven't been in a KH in about 6 months. Unfortunately, I'll have to endure a JW funeral next weekend.

• talesin
    talesin

I'm not religious, but have had some experience with the local UU church when doing some organizing for a local Earth Festival.

They are great peeps and, as you say, inclusive of ALL.

I'm happy for you!

tal

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Interesting. I should take a look into

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Living in Mexico it is easier to fade from the brothers when the English hall is 22 people...So....My wife and I ran into a UU pastor. Speaks English etc. We are having our first meeting with him soon. I have questions and hopefully he can give me some answers before we start going.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

I like that the UU church teaches and practices tolerance.

However I still feel that the Bible is God's word and it has rules and tenets that are still valid today. This alone basically rules out the UUs as you can teach/believe/practice nearly anything and be accepted. This is liberalism and tolerance theology taken to the Nth degree.

If I am wrong let me now, as I am willing to listen and accept advice.

• talesin
    talesin

Ray, I would say that if you want more rules and less tolerance, that's your choice. There is a plethora of Xtian religions to choose from, and I am sure you can find your niche.

The Lutherans are quite tolerant, though having more structure than the UUs, of course. Have you ever attended one of their services? What I found interesting about them, is that ANYONE can partake of their mass. They feel that the 'grace of G*d' should be extended to all.

tal

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We have a Unitarian Church not a million miles from where I live where the "Pastor" or whatever they may call him, is an open Atheist !

I must go along sometime.

• mrquik
    mrquik

Billy; Let me know if they end the funeral service with the line " some here today may live forever." Yeah, I heard that line at a service last year. Obviously, the dead sister didn't make the cut.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit