1984 has totally rocked my world!

by serenitynow! 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

So I read 1984, or at least part of it at the urging of my Logic professor, years ago back when I was an inactive JW. It was a good scary read; I was like, wow, life sucks for that dude! I did not see any correlations to my JW world at that time. It was just a good piece of fiction.

I happened upon a 1984 and Animal Farm CD box set at this discount book store for $13, so I bought it. I was thinking that it would be interesting to read 1984 from an exJW perspective, and I also wanted to read Animal Farm.

I've been listening to it with headphones at work, and I'm almost at the end. I tell you, this book is like a WT/cult how-to. So many of the concepts are the same. The changing of the past, rewriting books to reflect changes in doctrine, so that you are unsure that things you believed happened or were taught in the past actually happened. The 1975 fiasco is a good example of that. People now deny that the Society ever did push 1975, that it was the rank and file.

Anyway, it's just been blowing my mind! I mean, we- JWs and exJWs, have actually lived the story of 1984! I've been jotting down notes as I listen to keep track of interesting quotes. One thing I found interesting was the idea of thought stopping, I believe in the book it was called crime stopping. Winston called it "protective stupidity." Wow.

Anyway, I left my notepad with my other observations at work. I think 1984 is one of those books that has changed me somehow.

Does anyone else feel that way?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yes. You would also love The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witness. Mind boggling.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I read those books years before i was a dub. When i finally got a clue about the WT, those books rang so true to me

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep. My introduction to the concepts of "1984" was a little book called "Animal Farm" that my parents kept in my brother's room on a bookshelf. They thought it was a children's book. I went on to read "1984" in high school and read it again shortly before the 1984 movie version. I give both books credit for helping me get out of the bOrg.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Mrs. J, it's funny because Animal Farm was in our library too! It was my father's. He read a lot of science fiction, Asimov, etc. and I would sometimes read his books. As a little kid I came across Animal Farm. It looked promising, there were cartoon animals on the cover so I picked it up, flipped through it. I was like, "hey, this isn't about animals on a farm!" I was expecting something like Charlotte's Web so I tossed it aside.

I do plan to read The Orwellian World of JWs.

• flipper
    flipper

SERENITYNOW- Mrs. Flipper and I read 1984 last year. She had read it years before, but having been in the JW cult until 2003 - I had never read it or even heard about it until exiting . It affected me the same way. Astonishing how similar the WT society is to the aggressive tactics taken by the powermongers in the book. And unfortunately we see elements of 1984 in many facets of community in our country with other political, religious, and social abuses of power as well. Glad to hear you read it- I think it's a must read for every EX-JW coming out of the cult

• JeffT
    JeffT

While you're at it read "Brave New World" by Aldus Huxley, it also has a bunch of similarities to life as a JW. "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess is also a dark tale about free will and personal redemption. Make sure you get the original version which has twenty-one chapters. The movie was based on the first American edition which did not have the last chapter.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

oh man, i just saw the clockwork orange at that discount store and passed on it.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Oh! You have check out the animated/cartoon DVD version of Animal Farm..it's really great!

I bought mine a few years ago on Amazon. It's a special collections edition so it has some nice specail features added, it wasn't that much money...

• Knowsnothing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit