Doing "Armageddon Math" during assemblies

by Alfred 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I originally came up with around 1994, using "a generation" as those who were alive in 1914 and spanning the "70 or 80 years". That failed, and then I had calculated, using "alive in 1914" and the human lifespan limit of 120 years, and barring a miracle where just one was kept alive from 1913 or 1914 forever, that 2034 had to be the upper limit.

Then they pull the rubbish that "a generation" is the group of people sharing the same characteristics in late 1995. Using that definition, as those traits are passed down generations, I was now looking at infinity. And, if I was doing something that was supposed to be extraordinary, it had better be for a limited time. Infinity didn't cut it--especially with being expected to just meet men at a$$emblies (which was the real reason I left).

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

I remember a brother giving a talk a few years back and stating that if we knew Eve's age, when she had sinned and time of her death, we could calculate when the end of the system would occur...with regards to assemblies, even though they said you're not to speculate ect...I always was intrigued how every assembly was the best one and perhaps the last one and we're to look out for major developments ect...same ol same ol I guess?

• watson
    watson

Let's see. 1874 plus 144 = 2018? 144 equals 12 times 12, really complete.

• blondie
    blondie

1914 + 120 = 2034 (120 years assigned to Noah's generation before the flood would come)

(I didn't know about 1874 or 1878 or 1881 dates nor 1915, 1920, 1925 (I must have slept through the book study that covered that))

But mostly I realized that Jesus said it would come at a time we think not....

• Medina
    Medina

I always fantazed about all those beautiful sisters in short skirts... Man I love those meetings.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I would count the number of sisters wearing hats in each seating section, then total them up. Strange, but then I was bored!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Luckily, I never had to endure an assembly. My Dad wasn't into the religion when I was a kid so he helped balance out (read squash) my Mom's zeal. He got sucked into the cancer later on - after he retired.

But speaking of math, it was the "We're preaching to all the nations, all the inhabitted Earth" that had me doing the eyebrow... . Really basic math disproves this especially when the population rate of the planet is growing faster than a JW can run. And we all know JW's don't 'run' door to door.

I'd like to know who's preached to these people?

Amazon Tribe

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Well, first thing they will do, is tell them they are immodestly dressed!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Well, first thing they will do, is tell them they are immodestly dressed!

LOL! Of course, this advice would be typical. I'm not sure I'd want to be wearing a lot of clothing in a hot, humid climate like a rainforest, least of all a suit.

I always wondered how they would speak to them -- what language would you use? Would you even know? How can you give them a magazine if you don't know how to communicate with them?

• St George of England
    St George of England

My wife, who can read my mind perfectly, regularly reminds me during the assemblies that I am there to listen, not to sit and admire the crumpet.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit