rules about kids going door to door alone?

by popcorn_eater 22 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Although I asked the question about Watchtower 'policy', I suspect that there has never been anything in any of the publications, including the Kingdom Ministry,about parents allowing their children to go door to door alone (i.e., with no other adult JWs also going door to door nearby).

To be fair to my JW parents, it wasn't the door to door per se that they allowed my siblings and I to do unsupervised; it was our individual magazine routes - that beloved activity of the witnesses a few generations ago - not that it was any safer!

• AnonJW
    AnonJW

*** km5/99p.7QuestionBox***

Question Box

? Parentsshouldexercisewhatcautionswhentheirminorchildrenshareinfieldservice?

Christian parents properly take their children along with them in the field ministry, training them to share the Kingdom good news with others. In doing so, there is a need to keep a watchful eye on their young ones because of potential dangers in the territory, even in the “safer” neighborhoods. More and more, children are the objects of violence and abuse because of the increase of greed and sexual depravity in these “critical times” in which we live. (2 Tim. 3:1-5) Parents need to take reasonable precautions to safeguard their little ones from those who would prey upon them. What can be done?

The Bible wisely counsels that we be cautious and look ahead to foresee danger. (Prov. 22:3; Matt. 10:16) The intent here is not to make rules, but it is wise for a parent or other adult to accompany a child when engaging in field service. If two responsible young publishers work together, it is advisable for a parent or another adult to have them in view at all times. Of course, as a child grows older and proves more responsible, parents can decide if he or she requires less direct parental supervision.—See also the October 1992 OurKingdomMinistry Question Box.

It is also wise to be ever mindful of safety while traveling by automobile and while walking about. Taking proper precautions often prevents accidents and the tragic burdens of pain, medical expenses, and possible legal liabilities in the increasingly litigious world around us.

It is fitting for young ones to “praise the name of Jehovah.” (Psalm 148:12, 13) Their winsome words and good behavior while in the field ministry are very impressive to others and bring honor to Jehovah. Parents, by all means, help your children to share regularly in proclaiming the good news as you are also ever alert to protect them from any potential dangers that exist!

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks AnonJW. A reference from 1999 in the Kingdom Ministry on the topic raised herein.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit