mankind drives humanity forward not theocracy

by Star tiger 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• glenster
    glenster

I disagree on the request for a choice in this way:

If you're going to go Abrahamatic, I'd recommend progressive reform.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Judaism_%28North_America%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Christianity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_movements_within_Islam

A few ground rules of that are to understand faith as such--a hope for a pos-
    sible God beyond the known proven things--therefore favor separation of church
    and state, and favor keeping up to speed about the known proven things about
    science and evolution, rights of women and homosexuals, etc.

As both the believer and non-believer should be against barriers to scientific
    advancement, both should be against being 'centric and intolerant about the be-
    lief or non-belief stance since most of the harm has come from either about
    those things (or 'centric intolerance for anything that's not a character
    determinant: race, age, nationality, etc.).

Most Jewish people understand how to see their faith with a progressive spin,
    and a substantial and growing batch of Christians do as well. An unfortunately
    small percent of Muslims are trying it in a predominantly orthodox/conservative
    field.

Much of the non-believers case against certain orthodox stances, notably re-
    garding harm to people or science, are the progressive believers cases as well.
    Substantial lists are available of believers and non-believers who've advanced
    science and justice or, on the other hand, were harmful to the ones different
    than them. The blanket characterization of either is a detriment to understand-
    ing for everyone.

Therefore, I'd only agree to pitting belief in God against science as a choice
    regarding conflict that goes against those ground rules since they aren't meant
    to do the same things and a blanket call for a choice is a forced choice.

More realistic and harmonious is for both to agree to be against barriers to
    scientific advancement (fundamentalist argument against evolution, bigotry about
    women and homosexuals, etc.) and separation of church and state (punishment for
    apostasy or state atheism purges of believers).

Neither atheism (rejection of God or gods) nor faith understood as such in a
    possible God beyond the known proven things stiplates harm to science or people.
    If either kind stipulates it, both should blame the stipulator.

When in this agreement, believers and non-believers can see their differences
    in perspective as similar to different subjective reactions to music for which
    they agree on the objective math (beats, chords, scales, etc).

• Bella15
    Bella15

Actually, the way I see it ... it is humans doing these things to another human ...

It amazes me how little children learn to lie for example without anyone teaching them to do it ...they sense they are in trouble and will point to another child, or hide, or start crying ... it is in us to know good from bad from early beginnings ...

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Humanity has the ability to handle their own problems, that is, until greed and selfishness step in.

I think most look to a supernatural solution because they feel powerless to stop what the human race does to itself; like saying, “oh thank goodness someone more powerful than me is going to take care of it all, oh joy”.

Supernatural solutions wouldn't be needed if everyone stepped up to the plate, took responsibility and handled their own problems; in fact most religion and government wouldn’t be necessary either.

I don’t see that happening anytime soon though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit