Y R U AVOIDING THIS?

by puzzled 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JT
    JT

This is perhaps one of the best bible text to show that the bible was written BY MAN, FOR MAN AND WITH MAN IN MIND;

Numbers 5:19-22 ***

19 “‘And the priest must make her swear, and he must say to the
    woman: “If no man has lain down with you and if while under your
    husband you have not turned aside in any uncleanness, be free
    of the effect of this bitter water that brings a curse. 20 But
    you, in case you have turned aside while under your husband and
    in case you have defiled yourself and some man has put in you his
    seminal emission, besides your husband,—” 21 The priest must
    now make the woman swear with an oath involving cursing, and
    the priest must say to the woman: “May Jehovah set you for
    a cursing and an oath in the midst of your people by Jehovah’s
    letting your thigh fall away, and your belly swell. 22 And
    this water that brings a curse must enter into your
    intestines to cause your belly to swell and the thigh to fall
    away.” To this the woman must say: “Amen! Amen!”

##########

NOW what makes it so plan that this was something cooked up by a bunch of Dudes is that they forget to outline any instructions on what to do if a MAN got some extra "Cooochie" on the side

when you consider the context of the time frame we are not talking about alot of women after working in the field, hauling water and just tryiing to get something for dinner having the time or energy to be out throwing "Coochie" around]

in fact there is a long history of men stepping out on thier wives, hell men were allowed to have as much "Coochie' as they could afford to take care of,

today we would call such a man as having some "HOs" on the side , but the bible of course calls them Concubines-

is it not amazing that these dude even had the nerve to use a word that sounds almost like it came from the root word "Cock"

so here we see some dudes putting in place a procedure to test the woman and then he had to KNOCK THE WOMAN Up

BUT we don't see no "Dick" cutting procedures for the man who stepped out on his wife

now we see why they used to say

thank god i ain't a pig or a woman

and all this is from the Divine word of god

yea RIGHT

• Xander
    Xander

The joke of the 'Bible Code':

http://www.csicop.org/si/9711/bible-code.html

Not the best analysis I've seen of it, but it certainly works. Pairings of Roswell/UFO and Hitler/Nazi about. Not just in the Bible, mind you, the author had a lot of luck with War & Peace as well. Surely evidence of divine inspiration.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • Adonai438
    Adonai438

Actually Xander--
    There are different ways people come up with 'bible codes'
    Some skip around with ramdom non conforming numbers and just find the letters to make the words they want it to say. I to find that amusing and not anything serious.
    Jewish and Christian scholars have for centuries explored the idea of Bible codes-- in fact, the ancient Jewish scribes even tried to find these according to historical accounts.
    The more credible of the bible code attempts have been decently unbiased. They pick numbers like 1-50 or whatever. And program the computer to search the text (original language text, not english translations) and found that at equal intervals (like every 5th letter) those letters would spell verifiable words in the Hebrew & greek languages. They didn't set out looking for specific words or program it to create a code in which it would find what they wanted it to. Interestingly enough, the words they find are in dialogue with the surface text or related to the passage it is encoded in. For instance in a passage where Yahweh is speaking of the comming messiah the computer showed that it spelled out Yeshua over and over again in consecutive intervals. The same teams of researchers have run the exact same tests on many other books even writings of the same age and there is absolutely nothing in any of them. I'd be interested to see what type of de-coding they've attemted on war & peace . It is a lot more interesting than just the initial thought of it though and is not confined to christian scholars. There is much more but I don't use that research as a proof for the Bible when discussing it because the Bible is legitimate on it's own with science and archeology without contreversial still-in-process research.

REM:
    Digging myself deeper?
    I wasn't aware I was in a hole.
    You are the one that claimed to be interested in archeological research on the Bible and after reading book reviews on just one suggestion you think it's not worth your time. Should I post reviews I have read of the same book that raves about it's research? I can find Christian or Non-Christian sources for ya. I already told you that it's not my only source on biblical archeology but it is a good basic one to start with, written by an educated scholar who has actually seen many of the artifacts in person and quotes other famous scholars and researchers abundantly as support.
    You have yet to explain or cite anything that proves the evidence 'outdated' or incorrect. And quoting a book review by someone not in the archeology field is not proof or evidence that the archeological finds cited are false.
    I don't think you need to be a 'scholar' to review a book but to comment on it's accuracy without any supporting evidence is a sad attempt at intelligent evaluation. The evidence in the book is cited well and the only thing you can say is it's my word against your reviewers word. Some is christian sources (but not, by any stretch, all of it) and just because someone who happens to believe in God wrote or said it does not mean the archeological evidence shown and pictured is wrong or biased. At a glance I can say that at the very least half of the sources are not christian publishers at all but well known and international.
    If you are so concerned about the fact that the archological evidence has only been uncovered withint the last 200+ years maybe you should do some research into when the world began excavating cites in attempts to find artifacts. You will find that the origin of organized archeology & excavation is at that time.
    Like I said-- I don't think anyone should take any persons word for the existance of evidence (or non-existance) and should do their own research.
    If all you're interested in bickering over scholarship of sources you have not read then I don't need to argue- that would be a waste of my time and yours. If you ever decide to actually research it yourself I'd be glad to talk. You don't need christian books to figure ot that the evidence is there and abundant. I'm not trying to be difficult here but I just don't have the time to do your research for you - especially when a book review can make you ingore cited fact.
    I made some resource suggestions and can find more but thats the extent.

It's amusing to me how most people that don't believe in the Bible or in the arguments in favor of it have never read it or researched themselves.

If you try to talk further on this and I don't reply right away I am not ignoring you-- We are in the middle of closing on our new house and moving soon so I don't have much time. God bless, <>< ANGIE

• rem
    rem

Angie,

You are forgetting that I was a Christian fundamentalist for most of my life. I did research the pro-Christian side of things. Unfortunately, I found the scholarship shoddy and intellectually dishonest.

Tell me, have you actually read any books by decent scientists and scholars such as Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan, Michael Shermer, Steve Jones, Gould, Finkelstein, Blackmore, Robert Park, Rodney Stark, George H. Smith, Greenburg, Krueger, etc. etc.?? I didn't think so, so don't tell me to look at both sides of the issue when I clearly have an you have not. That's the reason I can judge between fact and fraud.

And no, I didn't base my decision to not read your shoddy book on just one review - maybe you didn't read my last post closely enough. I read several reviews and the only ones that happened to be positive were people who obviously had no reasoning skills and knowledge of modern archeology. You are an easy con because you are just as uneducated as every other fundy who has fallen for this sorry excuse for scholarship.

I'm sorry you are such a credulous person that you believe in the Bible Code nonsense. You have shown the world how gullible you really are.

I'm sorry for coming accross this way, but someone has to wake you up! You are easy prey for the unscrupulous wanabe scholar who makes his living fleecing the likes of naive people like you. Do your self a favor and read some books by real scientists and scholars. Read things that go against your current beliefs. That's how I got where I am and that's why I can HONESTLY say that I've looked at both sides of the issue.

rem

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit