Y R U AVOIDING THIS?

by puzzled 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• puzzled
    puzzled

I was just reading moxy's post "Biggest Mathematical Miracle in the World"
    and as I was reading all the logical reasons why It would have been impossible at least physically impossible, for that many Israelites not to mention even one, to wonder through the desert 40 years and not leave a trace of their even having been there.
    The only thing that seems to be more incredible then that is how many people on earth believe it. Regardless of weather it's true or not what is it that continues to inspire millions and billions of people to continue to believe? That's what's really incredible. The stories are not that incredible if you were to remove the words "Holy Bible" from the cover, give it a different title and place it in the fiction isle next to "Grims Fairy Tales" or "The Grinch that Stole Christmas."
    As far as I know humans are the only creatures on the planet to possess "Logic" and "Reason."
    You can't count whales and dolphins so don't bother to try. They don't read or write books.
    So far no one has proven how long exactly humans have existed but just for argument sake lets say we've only had the ability to reason for 6,000 or so years.
    Even children stop believing in Santa clause at an early age because they can reason and apply logic and figure it out.
    The same goes for any fantasy. We go see "Lord of the Rings because it's entertaining. No body walks out of the theater (I don't think anyway) actually believing all that really happened. Do they?
    But for some reason the Bible and the Torah to name a couple, have survived as factual accounts for thousands of years and people continue to not only believe in them but rely on them as a means for survival.
    There has to be a bigger and better explanation for this other then the humans need to believe in something. That explanation by itself just doesn't make any sense at all or have any logic.
    If I wanted to believe in something just for the only purpose of believing in something I would find something that was more fun.
    I wonder if anyone has an answer for that?

SWM50
    a friend of plmkrzy

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Puzzled: Good points. I was not aware that the Hebrews who wandered for 40 years left no trace of their trek. What are your source references for this? I am not doubting you, just curious as to what Archeologists, Historians, or Geologists have said. It seems logical that the Hebrews would have left some traces ... but, then being nomads, perhaps they would not leave much behind.

This reminds me some of the Mormon claims that Jews traveled to the New World and became part of the culture here. reading the Book of Mormon reveals that the Jews who arrived here had a significant impact on the local indigensous peoples. Yet, there is no evidence of culture, language, tools, clothing, art, history, archeitecture, or anything among the North American tribes that one could make even a guess about Jewish influence here. The Book of Mormon and Mormons use the excuse that due to extensive wars, the Hebrews were evevtually wiped out ... but even if that were true, there would be some evidence on hand that Jews at one time inahbited this continient.

Good post. Hope you can post soem references. Thanks again.

• puzzled
    puzzled

Hi Puzzled: Good points. I was not aware that the Hebrews who wandered for 40 years left no trace of their trek. What are your source references for this?

Well I must confess my source of refference for 'this' post was based on this thread which i'm sure you have read. I'll put a link here just incase. Pardon me please if I got any of it wrong. I was just wheeled off into this exploration of the mind after reading this.
    I will come right back with the link.

• puzzled
    puzzled

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=22285&site=3

I thought this was very stimulating in a way. Something worth exploring IMO

• 2SYN
    2SYN

OK, I'm going to have to tackle this one point at a time:

People Believe It: This is because they have been well-programmed by Christianity. Christianity as a whole, as well as the lethal, but rare, mutated WTBTS meme which shares some of it's fear-axioms (cool! I just made up a new word!), both perpetrate as some of their chief symptoms irrational belief in complete nonsense. Mental filters and feedback loops are implanted in sufferers, which ensure that their questioning of their beliefs automatically selects them for death (mentally speaking - this is one of the primary fear-axioms). It's a killer cycle - kind of like a thread starve lock or something, just happening at a mental level in the human mind.

Can't Count Whales + Dolphins: Not going to go into that here, suffice to say that dolphins have very advanced minds indeed. For all we know, they may have a far more advanced civilisation than we do. Until we decipher their language, we'll never know.

The reason we have religion in the first place is because of our need to be led. Humans are pack animals - we always have to follow somebody, or something. Rooted deep in our oldest chromosomes, the one we've had for hundreds of millions of years, are the follow-the-leader chromosomes. Thanks to the combination of an extremely effective frontal lobe and this primitive region of the brain that controls our social behaviour, religion creates causal loops within the human consciousness which make us try to follow someone who will always be the Ultimate Alpha Male - God. There's no getting away from it.

Got it?

The earlier in the forenoon you take the sun bath, the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing. - The Golden Age

• puzzled
    puzzled

2SYN

I am atheist.
    Have been since highschool. I was raised in Chicago in a Jewish neighborhood by a Jewish mother and father.
    I went to Hebrew school until Bar mitzvah at 13.
    Then I attended Friday night services and Sunday School for a few years after that.
    My mother faith is still in tact to this day. Even though her mind isn't.
    My sister converted to Christianity.
    I have one brother who still believes in Judaism.
    My roomy is an exjw but still believes in God. I am atheist.
    So basically your answer, though appreciated, does not answer my query. I thank you though for you reply.
    Regards Jimbo

And as to "Can't Count Whales + Dolphins:
    For reasons I mistakenly assumed to be obvious.

Got it?

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Jimbo: I'm actually called SYN, 2SYN is just the account I used 'cause I hit my post-limit. I was just pulling your leg about the cetaceans tho , but the other stuff I said still applies. It's really great that you're questioning the beliefs of the WTBTS, that being one of the foremost signs of an intelligent, inquiring mind. Looks like you've managed to avoid infection.

So, if you're an athiest, what drove you to start chatting here? Just curious...I wasn't trying to degrade what you said at all, by now if you've read any of my other posts you know I'm always either in Super Sarcasm Mode or in Ultra Tech Talk Mode, one of the two...very occasionally, I go into full Hyper Flame (WHOOSH) Mode.

The earlier in the forenoon you take the sun bath, the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing. - The Golden Age

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Nice post Jim but don't expect to be enlightened here! Sorry I know better then that you're just being curious.
    I doubt anyone will get it so don't be offended. Thats why everyone here is still here. It's all just another part of mass-confusion at it's best. It's a kind of game of 'I'm smart and I can prove it!" with no place else to prove it but here.
    But,
    If you get picked on you can always run to Simon and cry mommy there being mean to me make them stop. Or UMMM I'm Telling!"
    You wont find much more then a play ground here. And you don't have to be a JW to get shunned here either. So just take with some salt and taqulia and find it entertaining. Thats all there is.
    luv ya Jan.

• puzzled
    puzzled

2SYN

. [It's really great that you're questioning the beliefs of the WTBTS,]

Sync, it isn't so much that I question the belief of the wt since I have never had that belief to begin with.
    My reason for posting here is strictly curiosity. As you probably know my roommate has been visiting this forum now quite a lot lately and it was beginning to become a real nuisance. I could not follow along with the enthusiasm she expresses on many occasion when commenting about some topics on discussion forum, so I decided to log on and see what was so damn entertaining for myself.
    My question is a legitimate one though.
    She persuaded me to open an account so that she could have more availability, that's how it started. Then I actually began to read this stuff. I must admit, it does have the potential for interesting reading.
    That is all.
    I really don't expect to get any reply's much more then "Because, Just because." That's about normal.
    Have a good day. I will check back later on to see if there is anything of interest left, but for now I have a life to attend to. (Being slapped as I speak by someone looking over my shoulder)
    Yours truly,
    Jimbo

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

First of all, the Bible and the Torah aren't separate things-- the Bible includes the Torah in it.

I don't think the Bible has survived these thousands of years by dumb luck or by human need to cling to something. It survived because truth has a way of doing that

And Actually, there is archeological proof for the Israelites wanderings in the desert.

During the Last century a number of explorers re-discovered a group of ancients inscriptions in the Wadi Mukatteb(The Vally of the Writing) in the Sinai Peninsula. When they were deciphered the researchers concluded that they contained detailed descriptions of the events of the Exodus from Egypt by the Children of Israel under the leadership of Moses. These inscriptions are even refered to in historical writings well before the time of Christ. Scholars concluded that these inscriptions were most likely written by either the Israelites themselves or others that were alive at the time.
    I have pictures and the translations into english of the inscriptions in a book I own as well as more information on similar topics if interested.
    Everything in the Bible is archeologically correct and supported. There is not one finding contrary to scripture to date. Interesting topic though to see how incredibly supported by archeology and history and science the Bible is.

<>< Angie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit