Does the WT still use Zech.8:23 as a last days prophecy ? In veiw of the fact (evidently) the numbers of converts are decreasing worldwide ?

by smiddy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

This is a scripture that was used a lot during the 70`s & 80`s proving that the end was so close,and it was to culminate in a grand influx before the great tribulation." It will be in those days that ten men out of all the languages of the nations will take hold,yes ,they will actually take hold of the skirt of a man who is a jew,saying,"we will go with you people for we have heard that God is with you people."

When you look at the reality of the situation in this day....,their seems to be a marked decline in worldly converts in christendoms lands.....,mainly baptisms coming from young born ins,..... and certainly no marked increases from either Asian, Oriental, or other non christian lands,that would seem to indicate another failed prediction/prophecy we can credit to the F&DS class

I would appreciate your thoughts/comments

smiddy

• TOTH
    TOTH

In my experience the wt will swap out another scripture to cover any deficiencies in the one they have been using to explain something so that it looks like they have god's blessing or favor. If the numbers go up, say they are being blessed according to scripture A. If the numbers drop, use scripture B to explain that the love of the greater number has cooled off. IN either case they are covered. Scripturally.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

smiddt, the one in Zechariah crops up in the literature now and then. One scripture that stood out in the nineties was Isaiah 60:22: "The little one himself will become a thousand, and the small one a mighty nation." Others that were quite popular are the doves flying in to their dove cotes (Is. 60:8) and the tent pegs that need to shift to accomodate all those coming in (Is. 54:2). An elder told me he believes while there is an increase Jehovah it means that Jehovah is blessing their work. If there is a serious decline in converts in the near future, be assured, they will find new scriptures to back that up, e.g., the love of the greater number will cool off (Matt. 24:12), etc.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

As far as I know, they have yet to acknowledge any declining numbers in recruitment. New high of 1.7 Billion hours in the FS was stressed at recent CirAss, but no mention that the number of recruits was down from the previous year's number. They all publicly did the "rah rah sis boom bah" about the (one) newly baptised child person, whereas private conversations were all about having never seen a CirAss with only ONE person getting baptised and then speaking of the circuit that recently had NO ONE get baptised!

Could that be a sign of Jehovah no longer blessing the growth?

NO. It's a sign that we must be close to The End!

They are masters of the

Doc

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

They’ll use any scripture they can twist to support their views.

And remember that only Jayhoover knows the day and the hour so wash-towel can say what it wants, but don't blame them, BLAME HIM when it doesn't happen.

• Flossycat
    Flossycat

Desirous-of-change, That's really interesting. In what country did that happen (only 1 baptism, and none)?

Flossycat, Melbourne, Australia.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I never heard that verse used in connection with growth, only in connection with the great crowd joining the remnant, and that ten would be the symbolic figure for all of them. Isaiah and other verses connected with growth, yes, but not Zech. 8:23.

• smiddy
    smiddy
    BTTT
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I bump this post for the many newbies we have had in recent months .

Is this scripture still used ? I think it was first used in the 1960`s as a prophecy to be fullfilled

Any takers ?

smiddy

• steve2
    steve2

Taking a punt on your good question, Smiddy, I have to say it is years since I've seen any Watchtower publication cite Zechariah as a prophecy for the current age.

I I guess the need to ask your question suggests you too have not seen it referenced in recent years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit