Help.. was the 8/15/68 WT altered later?

by Norcal_Sun 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Norcal_Sun
    Norcal_Sun

Hello, I am doing some research on 1975 again, and I came across this on a couple different sites:

Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man's existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ. If these two periods run parallel with each other as to the calendar year, it will not be by mere chance or accident but will be according to Jehovah's loving and timely purposes....It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years." -- page 499(assuming this is from the bound volume??) WT 8/15/68

And this is from the actual scan I found and is also in the WT Library:

Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man’s existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ. If these two periods run parallel with each other as to the calendar year, it will not be by mere chance or accident but will be according to Jehovah’s loving and timely purposes. Our chronology, however, which is reasonably accurate (but admittedly not infallible), at the best only points to the autumn of 1975 as the end of 6,000 years of man’s existence on earth. It does not necessarily mean that 1975 marks the end of the first 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh creative “day.” Why not? Because after his creation Adam lived some time during the “sixth day,” which unknown amount of time would need to be subtracted from Adam’s 930 years, to determine when the sixth seven-thousand-year period or “day” ended, and how long Adam lived into the “seventh day.” And yet the end of that sixth creative “day” could end within the same Gregorian calendar year of Adam’s creation. It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.

This part in bold sure does sound like it was added later. The scan I refer to is here: http://www.truthandgrace.com/WT1975falseprophecy.htm

So, how can I find an image of this original quote? Was it changed?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I have the original bound volumes from way back when. I'll take a look when I get home.

Do they change things? Absolutely

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

The part that is in bold was in the original bound volume. I'm looking at a copy right now.

• Norcal_Sun
    Norcal_Sun

Those tricky bastards. The only problem is, I would love to get my hands on a pdf or image of the original print to verify.

• sir82
    sir82

Looks like your source from "a couple of different sites" did a bit of editing.

If these two periods run parallel with each other as to the calendar year, it will not be by mere chance or accident but will be

according to Jehovah's loving and timely purposes .... It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years."

The ellipses indicate that they purposely left out the stuff in bold in their quotation.

• St George of England
    St George of England

*** w68 8/15 p. 499 par. 30 Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975? ***

30 Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man’s existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ. If these two periods run parallel with each other as to the calendar year, it will not be by mere chance or accident but will be according to Jehovah’s loving and timely purposes. Our chronology, however, which is reasonably accurate (but admittedly not infallible), at the best only points to the autumn of 1975 as the end of 6,000 years of man’s existence on earth. It does not necessarily mean that 1975 marks the end of the first 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh creative “day.” Why not? Because after his creation Adam lived some time during the “sixth day,” which unknown amount of time would need to be subtracted from Adam’s 930 years, to determine when the sixth seven-thousand-year period or “day” ended, and how long Adam lived into the “seventh day.” And yet the end of that sixth creative “day” could end within the same Gregorian calendar year of Adam’s creation. It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.

From the latest CD-ROM

George

• Mickey mouse
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

I don't see anything wrong with the original quote. It accurately includes elipses, in order to highlight the main point, that "It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years."

• mP
    mP

Yes the WTS edits its texts after the fact to remove uncomfortable or failed prophecies. Lets not forget the book it supposedly follows, the Bible has a history of exactly the same actions. The book of Daniel is presents itself as been written during the exile, so its text looks like prophecy. The same Daniel even has two extra chapters in the Catholic Bible. Many scholars today state that half of Pauls books were not written by him but are psuedogaphical. The same is especially true of 2 Peter and so on. Many scholars state that there are literally hundreds of thousands of chnages in just the NT. The same is true of the OT, we can confiorm this by comparing the bibles or going to online resources such as the http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/.

Lets not forget that the most famous fraud in the Bible, which is documented where Josiah finds the scroll of the Law which is supposed to be deuteronomy. It is never explained how the law was lost for hundred years and how god never told the many prophets between Moses and Josiah. Funnily enough the word "deuteronomy" means "second law" which is appropriate given its a "second" take with Moses laws being the first. Even the name of the book tells you its a fraud.

• Haelcer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit