Christians Have No Right To Wear Cross At Work, Says Government

by Bangalore 20 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I think any single item of religious clothing, jewellry etc should either be banned or allowed because despite the notion of it not being 'necessary' to the faith, it becomes a long drawn out legal argument on perception. I don't believe that the turban and headscarf are considered necessary parts of a religion but it seems accepted practice to consider them so. Some of all of these items are simply cultural, tradtional or preferred by the wearer.

Get rid of them all - they have nothing to do with practicing your religion freely. Do your job, go home and dress, study, preach, donate, teach or otherwise live within whatever religion you choose.

To abolish the cross on a couple of women is simply prejudicial if you aren't willing or don't apply the same restrictions on everyone else for the same reason. It appears there were other people wearing their symbols of faith who did not receive the same treatment. sammies

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    For some reason christians think BA should make an exception for a cross.
    Christians seem to think everyone should make accommodating exceptions to anything they want.
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

It doesn't sound like crosses were specifically banned---but jewelry. They are allowed to wear their crosses, just not showing. What is the problem? This makes a lot of sense. Make an exception for crosses, and you could end up with this---and then christians get pissed off---plus it's not professional.

Dragon Cross

• cofty
    cofty

Christians seem to think everyone should make accommodating exceptions to anything they want.

Another classic example was a christian couple who ran a "bed-and-breakfast" in their home. They refused to allow a gay couple to stay with them and complained they were being persecuted when they got into trouble for it.

They tried to argue that they were entitled to stipulate who they would have as guests in their house. The law says you lose the right to discriminate when you turn your house into a business.

They could not understand the simple analogy that it was identical to having a sign in the window that read "no blacks or Asians."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Now, another example of uniforms. Suppose I wish to show support for my country. Suppose I get a job for UPS, with their brown uniforms. But one day I feel like wearing red, white, and blue instead. Would UPS have the right to insist that I put on that brown uniform while on their clock? Particularly since that is what image they are trying to present to the public. While red, white, and blue might be a fine display of patriotism, it is not appropriate while on the clock when the uniforms are brown. And that is not discrimination based on patriotism, either.

Wearing a visible cross on the job is no different. Companies have the right to limit jewelry that might not present the image they wish on the public. And crosses could fit that description. Never mind that wearing a cross does not mean one is Christian--I could wear one just because I feel like slapping Jehovah in the face, wish to show support for the other 19 Christ-precursors (or the sun), or just because I like wearing one. If I wear a cross and the company feels that it is pushing religion in customers' and employees' faces, they have the right to insist I hide it or remove it. And it is no more religious discrimination than wearing the brown UPS uniform is discrimination against patriotic workers.

Doubt me? I wonder how many Hindus go around in Britain wearing visible swastikas. Remember, to the Hindu, a swastika is the equivalent to our cross. Yet you don't see Hindus going around wearing them on the job--and that is not discrimination against Hindus. Merely, that is because the companies do not wish to be viewed by the public as pro-Hindu or anti-freedom (swastikas are usually viewed as Nazi symbols by non-Hindus these days).

• dm6
  • Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

The UPS uniform is a most unfortunate combination of colours................

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Why is it so necessary for some Christians to feel persecuted?

Can you imagine Jesus just laughing at this? Oh Jesus, we are soooo persecuted. We have to hide the representation of your implement of death inside our collar! It's soooo horrible. You didn't warn us it was going to be this bad!!!! When you told us to pray in private, we took that to mean we had a right to wear religious bling on our uniforms------------the horror, the horror.

NC

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I get the same info , reading between the lines. It is not the wearing of a cross but the right to always wear one that is not accepted. Most employers do not mind and will continue. If however you happen to work for an employer that is a nasty control freak and orders you not to wear it - they have the right to do so.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

For my job, we cannot even wear watches. The only jewelry allowed is a plain wedding band.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit