Ding

How long have you owned the house?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I bought the house in July 2007.

• Tater-T
  • tec
    tec

I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if it was caused by the city. (of course, I'm talking from a different country's perspective) In either case, I can't imagine that your insurance would not cover something like that.

• finally awake
    finally awake

Homeowner's insurance in the United States does not cover "flood" damage - ever for any reason. They have managed to expand the definition of "flood" to include just about every water related problem except burst pipes (unless due to earthquake or mine subsidence) and rainfall in through a missing roof due to a tornado. When we switched homeowners insurance last year, we went over all the flood issues and decided our best bet was to buy separate flood insurance even though we aren't in a flood risk zone. It's pretty cheap since we aren't in the flood zone, and it covers damages if the basement walls collapse due to ground saturation, which was our main concern.

If the city caused the damage due to the work on the sewer system, they might be forced to pay for the repairs. However, it might be hard to prove fault. I certainly hope it's not as bad as it looks.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It turns out that my insurance does not have earthquake coverage---i am in a very low risk area. But my house did shake in ohio a few months ago when we had that earthquake. I was the only one on the block to actually feel it! But I don't know what caused the crack yet.

I do have some limited coverage for back water damage. It may not be enough---but again I'll have to wait and see.

The city has been working on the sewer system for months now. In front of my house, they actually filled in their holes, but had to come back and dig it up again because there was a major leak underneath. It seems pretty likely that they have done something. As I said, they even busted out the driveway to get to the problem. They had to give me an alternate source for water for quite a while, and hooked a hose to the house. This was major.

They are still working---on the next street which is very close to me. I don't know what's going on there either.

It's the uncertainty that is driving me a bit bonkers. It is also shocking to look at. I think I'll be avoiding my basement until I have some answers---just because it is so upsetting and I can't do anything more until I have the answers.

*sigh*

NC

• finally awake
    finally awake

I'm such a debbie downer. I'm sorry NC, it's such a pain to deal with house problems

• still thinking
    still thinking

I feel sorry for you NC...that is very stressful. Let us know what the insurance guy says tomorrow. Here's hoping it's not too major.

• Glander
    Glander

Spackel

• noni1974
    noni1974

My dad said he could come over tomorrow and look at it if you want. He has a class in the morning but he can do it after that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit