What would WTS do if a KH with a loan didnt pay them back ?

by mP 14 Replies latest jw friends

• mP
    mP

What if the brothers and sisters at a cong ran into bad luck and couldnt afford to pay for a while. What happens ?

Yes i know about the Menlo Park thing in California, but this is a slightly different case.

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

I've always wondered that too!!

Can't take em to court, right?

• belbab
    belbab

Years ago, a struggling congregation in a small town in Quebe couldn't meet the payments. The WT sent an appraiser to estabilsh the value. They were ready to foreclose. Somehow the congregation dug themselves out of the hole.

Belbab

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

My serious answer to the question , I don't know. It's something to think about.

My dumb answer to the question: They'd priobably tell the congregation to pray to Jehovah and study more.

Thats the answer I always got when I was younger and would stupidly go to the elders with a problem.

• Think About It
    Think About It

There would be a series of WTS letters read from the platform trying to guilt them into coming up with the money, along with far-fetched Bible examples of negative results for not paying a monetary commitment. If that didn't work, some poor schmucks with some money would be given "a special assignment" to that congregation.

Think About It

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Letters, letters, fed of listening to elders reading them. When I think about it I suppose you are right: Some elders may enjoy an 'extra' priviledge!

Let me count my bones to be sure!

NOLAW

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't know the process. Do individuals sign for the loan? If so, a court action may be possible. The consequences should be clear with the deed/loan. I don't even know who owns a KH. Another twist is what if the KH was controlled by a group of apostates. Could the WTBTS intervene?

When women were first permitted to be priests in America and later, when openly gays were allowed to be priests in the Episcopal Church, a bunch of churches broke away from the main body. In every case of which I am aware, the bishop gained titled to the church.

It has to depend on the language in the deed. I can see Bethel sending accountants/coaches so the KH contribution increases. A new KH was built when I was active. My father had to be a co-signer of the loan b/c he owned property. It was the only time they were respectful to him. It was a long while ago.

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

What i can guarantee is that they would make sure in addition to wat could be paid they did not lose their monthly donation!

• hoser
    hoser

dissolve the congregation and sell the hall!

• blondie
    blondie

It is very businesslike. The WTS cannot and will not lose their money. They will send in a representative to analyze the problem, see how to help them get back on track. If it is hopeless and the WTS is the loan holder, they can take whatever steps are appropriate in that state.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit