Some Witnesses Seem To Relish Bad News

by EmptyInside 15 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

It may be just my imagination,but sometimes I think Witnesses get overly excited when a natural disaster or some violent event happens. I guess they feel it proves their point on how awful things are.

My mother seems to be this way. She seemed elated to tell me about a couple shootings that took place in our city today. I know she feels bad for the victims,but I know she wants to say,see,I told you so,last days.

But,what she doesn't realize is that these things will sadly always be,and they always were to a great or lesser degree.

The years I was a Witness,I was so depressed from focusing on all the tragedy in the world. I still care about what is going on in the world. But,I have a new prespective and can't dwell on these things.

This reminds me of another older sister at my mother's hall,first thing out of her mouth is always,"Aren't things bad?" She's been using that line for quite awhile now.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I know! Their heart's desire is that six billion people will die. They are taught that is what they should hope for. Then and only then can they have what they want which is paradise earth. Whenever they look at themselves in the mirror they forget that is what is required for their "reward".

• Ding
    Ding

The St. Valentine's Day massacre and Manson killings were pretty bad in their day, too, but somehow the end didn't come...

• designs
    designs

Most of us sat through Meetings that pounded the message of how bad and evil the world was for 10 20 30 40 50+ years. That scenario was necessary to keep us believing in the New World and pounding on doors.

Have compassion for those still in, its a herculean effort to get the drum sound out of their heads.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

designs-very nicely put!

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "It may be just my imagination,but sometimes I think Witnesses get overly excited when a natural disaster or some violent event happens. I guess they feel it proves their point on how awful things are. ..." OP

Oh, yeah, they do...

Of course, ANY "doomsday" sect or cult has the same mentality - "Look! Death and destruction!! Our Savior is Imminent!!"

Makes most fundie Christians sound like a gawd-awful bloodthirsty lot...

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad. He was making a comment about "it's sooo bad" and how he couldn't wait of the Big A and I nailed him on it- how morbid it is to wish for billions of people to die, how we aren't supposed to rejoice over the deaths of others, and basically said that I was disgusted by his attitude.

The best part of this convo? He was saying this in front of my "worldly" hubby. The look on his face when he was hearing that... Dad saw hubby's face and realized that he wasn't exactly giving the best witness. Later that night, I overheard my dad making excuses to hubby: "We [JWs] don't want people to die, we're just tired of how bad the world is, blah, blah, blah."

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

They relish bad news of others for sure I know that. Disasters and such ? A bit yes. But others ? Oh yes.

If you're on the edge, not deemed very spiritual. The first mis-step you make it's like a big, "I knew it !", or "I told you !".

I think they really get off on certain others going through rough times. Anything to validate Jehovah, the organization or why you should be at the Kingdom Hall.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It's the same for evangelists of all denominations, including the witlesses. Use a disaster (personal, local, or national) to find people in hard times. Then exploit those hard times to recruit them as Christi-SCAMs. The same thing that most regular Christi-SCAMs look for in sending missionaries to foreign lands also works for the witlesses (which is why so many missionaries are in the Third World). You get an earthquake in Christchurch, they send missionaries to use that earthquake (and the hardships that result) to make Christi-SCAMs. They pulled that rubbish in Haiti as well, along with Japan and in parts of the Middle East hit with earthquakes.

Of course, the witlesses will use bad news in one part of the world to scare people everywhere. You get an earthquake in Japan, a volcano in Chile, a famine in Niger, a major crime wave in Nigeria, a bank crisis in Greece, loss of freedom in the United Tyranny of Stupidity, a nuclear disaster here, tornado outbreak there, and a H1N1 pandemic (that turns out to be fake), put them together, and you can scare people globally. People are told that these things are proof that the last days are here, and that Armageddon is nigh (never mind the problems are similar to 1914, 1939, 1859, 1775, and many other periods before major wars; and are nothing compared to the First Dark Ages of the 350-1500 AD era). The difference is scope: The Christi-SCAM missionaries have to go where the hardships are, and the witlesses use hardships in one part of the world to scare people everywhere.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

I thought Jehovah taught the prophet "Jonah" a lesson, when he sat on a hill, waiting for Jehovah to destroy Ninevah. What was the moral of the bottle gourd plant? How far from Jehovah's love and his desire that nobody should die. Tell your mother to read Isaiah 60-65!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit