Number of JW's on antidepressant medication & unemployment

by biometrics 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

The target audience of the Witnesses are the "down trodden, depressed, beaten up, unhappy with Church, people running on empty" What do you think will happen, when these people find out, they did not join (Selling Point) "The Most Happiest People On Earth" but a group of men and women chasing their tails, people who talk about love, but don't know what it means. These people, if they were not on anti-depressants, will need them once the new wears off.

I have had my share of working with schizophrenics in field service, this was not very enjoyable nor entertaining.

• steve2
    steve2

WTWizard I love your "pious-sneer" - it unerringly captures the necessary narcissistic mentality of that very publically elevated display of religious righteousness.

The pay's piss poor but the platform parade of pride's second to none.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    especially as most of the dole applicants could easily have had jobs if they had wanted to , but were pioneering & held up as good examples in the congregation , while I was regarded as wordly because I worked 5 days a week.

I can relate to this. I knew some JWs who deliberately only worked a certain amount of hours so that they qualified for certain govt handouts, yet I was looked upon as materialistic because I worked full-time due to a strong work ethic that had been drummed into me by my JW parents. I had already been unemployed due to a financial recession and I didn't want to be dependent on the govt ever again if I could help it.

• lostinthought
    lostinthought

I think "Jehovah's people are the happiest people on earth" every morning before taking my antidepressent

• Mary
    Mary
    Steve said: my impression was that many of the people who studied with the witnesses were even then significantly battered and bruised from their life up until that point. To then suggest the Watchtower caused what was already present is a bit rich in my opinion.

Not necessarily. For example: Mr. Depressed has struggled with depression and acceptance for most of his life. He drinks alot, is lonely and contemplates suicide. The Witnesses knock at his door and present him with a neatly written magazine or article that sums up how awful life in this world is and wouldn't he like to live in a world where there's no problems or depression? A study is soon started and the minute he enter the Kingdom Hall, he is love-bombed from all sides. For the first time in his life, he feels loved and accepted. There seems to be alot of meetings to attend, but everyone is so friendly, it's well worth it to have all these wonderful people in his life. Finding out that this is the only religion that God approves of is another great bonus and it makes him feel extra-special.

Baptism soon follows. And after that, something strange happens. People aren't falling all over him at the meetings any more and are tending to ignore him for the most part. Plus, he's finally found a full time job but he's really tired at the end of the day and he doesn't make it to all the meetings anymore. And that does get him some attention, but not in a good way. The elders visit him to remind him of everything that "Jehovah" requires of him and that includes being at all the meetings and out in Serve-Us every week. Anything less is not acceptable. He doesn't want to piss Jehovah off now does he?

Instead of being 'built up', this guy---who has long struggled with feelings of worthlessness and depression, suddenly starts retreating to the same dark place he was before the Witnesses called on him. He doesn't understand what's happened, but obviously the fault is with him and the thought of disappointing Jehovah overwhelms him. Maybe he starts to drink again. Booze and pills may not mix well, but he doesn't feel quite as bad about himself in this state. He misses more meetings which of course makes him feel even more guilty and worthless and where is Paradise on Earth anyhow?

He tries talking to the elders about how bad he feels, but the only advise they give him is to pray more and go out in Serve-Us more. If he would do more in Jehovah's work, he wouldn't feel depressed. And forget about going to a 'worldly' professional for any help. They're all under the control of Satan and would love to get their hooks into one of Jehovah's people. Medication is okay, but forget any one-on-one counselling. And so he continues on.

This is just one possible scenario. The religion may not be the sole cause of someone's depression, but they sure as hell tend to contribute to it. JWFacts has a good link on the subject too: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/mental-issues.php

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

biometrics:

I also noticed that there were many on meds but I have to say that many non-JWs are also on meds. The world around us is not easy to live in.

But you are absolutely correct in your observation that many JWs are collecting some sort of benefit - and going out in service. It was my opinion that many JWs did not want to work! And this was when jobs were a-plenty some years ago. Quite simply, these people wanted a simple life of ringing doorbells and going on studies and they did not want to be a responsible member of the workforce. In fact, I had a few women say as much to me. Didn't want to think or worry about anything, made unwise decisions and hoping like hell that armageddon comes to save them from themselves. Let somebody else work. Not them.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

From my experience in the congregation, alcoholism, depression, high stress and even domestic abuse were very, very common. (Most JW's think a bit of violence or verbal abuse is normal or to be expected..... disgusting.) There is a high prevelance of burnt out in the JW's too (M.E., strange viruses etc). This is not suprising due to the work load, financial concerns, lack of time, constant guilt, constant pressure, hysteria regarding the worlds ending, constant fear., never feeling good enough.... the list goes on. The relief on leaving is IMMENSE. The psychological restrictions on what you can do, watch, listen to, read, say and THINK are overbearing. Once you leave and start thinking for yourself it is so refreshing. JW's are statistically the most undereducated and underpaid religious group... the consequences of this are enough to fill abook, but the financial and intellectual consequences are significant. Has anyone window cleaned for a living? It is SHIT. Has anone done 90 hrs ministry a month? It was SHIT. All those years preaching and most JW's will not convert a single person... the frustration, guilt, confusion of that alone is considerable.

Then you have issues such as blood, being in constant fear of it being poured down your throat. Then there is the cutting off of friends and family due to draconian Nazi rules. Lastly for me, the stress of keeping those doubts and questions at bay is overwhelming, it is like stamping on an overflowing bin that exponentially grows with thought.... so many depressed JW's are depressed for this issue. They know its B.S. but they fight it, and they are still there now, and they are still miserable....

.....and to think... this is the life of half burden, with Jesus taking half the load, this is supposed to be the care free life of the lilly and the bird, a people who claim to have the most love and joy in the world.....

My heart skips a beat when I think about the feeling I had when I left the Jw's, I was asked to stop going to meetings because of the questions I asked the local P.O. to my great suprise this did not devistate me, it was like taking a breath after a long swim to the surface.... the relief fills your lungs, then your whole body, the stress and fear dissipates and you realise there is a real life beyond the stagnant Watchtower pond.

• steve2
    steve2
    Mr. Depressed has struggled with depression and acceptance for most of his life. He drinks alot, is lonely and contemplates suicide.

Hey Mary we're virtually on the same page. I would consider anyone who has struggled with depression, consuming a lot of alcohol and contemplating suicide to be pretty battered and bruised already before the JWs knock on his door. His depression, suicidality and alcohol abuse predates the JWs' visit.

It's this sort of householder who would be more vulnerable to being drawn into the witnesses negative message about how bad the world is and the need to await a paradise earth.

As you the say, the religion might make their situation now more stressed, but it is just one factor among many. Given that scenario, it is simplistic to say (as some have heavily implied) that the Watchtower caused the depression and suicidality. The most I would be prepared to say is that the religion failed to provide an effective antedote to the depression and suicidal outlook (to say nothing of helping the man reduce his alcohol consumption). Sad to say, many people who try to rebuild their lives after being depressed and suicidal are then more vulnerable to the ongoing knocks and blows from life. Besides, you will always be up against a well rehearsed parade of Watchtower advocates who declare they were suicidal and depressed before coming into the "truth" and have now successfully rebuilt their lives. It sounds contrived, yes. But the JWs beleive it - and if it's tru for indivduals I'm happy for them. However, I side with you in beleiving that the disappointment after joining often contributes to a resurgence of mental health issues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit