Number of JW's on antidepressant medication & unemployment

by biometrics 17 Replies latest jw friends

• biometrics
    biometrics

In the congregations I attended more than 60% of the people I knew were on some type of antidepressant medication. This rate seems much higher than "worldly" people I know/knew. Or perhaps Witnesses are just more open about this topic?

Another thing I noticed was the high rate of Witnesses on unemployment benefits (welfare is lax in Australia). My guess is 30% or more were not working and receiving unemployment. That doesn't include elderly or those on a pension.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

The line of work I'm involved in allows me to be privy to the money spent on pharmaceuticals and I'd venture to say 1 to 2 out of every 3 people you walk by today is on an antidepressant, including myself. That said, I'm leaning towards JWs just being a little more open about it although I have to admit its a little surprising considering the WT hasn't exactly endorsed such therapy. At the most they'll asterisk it as in option in their articles.

• steve2
    steve2

George is right. Prescriptions for antidepressant medication have risen exponentially in the general population over the years. I do not have the precise statistics on hand, but remember reading in a medical survey in New Zealand that as high as one in three adolescents and young adults are on some form of prescription psychotropic medication (for mental health issues).

Subpopulation figures are a matter of speculation and no amount of resorting to anecdotal reports helps ascertain whether JWs as a group are more likely than other groups - or the general population - to be on psychotropic medication. Yes, it could be that JWs are just more open about it (at least to their confidants).

In my line of work, I see all kinds of people on antidepresants, including fundamentalist Christians (which includes those who refer to themselves as Born Again Christians or Pentecostals or Evangelicals). It sometimes irks me when posters imply there is something about the Watchtower that causes people to become depressed and take medication. I feel like saying "Wake up and look around you!" Life in general is tough. The Watchtower is just a different kind of tough, among many, many, many kinds of tough.

Besides, the Watchtower's messages tends to "appeal" to people who could have a propensity for depression. Certainly, happy people are not be as attracted to the witnesses promise of a colgate-smiling, plastic pradise earth as perhaps desperately unhappy people would be.

In the days when the witnesses were much more successful at bringing new people into the religion, my impression was that many of the people who studied with the witnesses were even then significantly battered and bruised from their life up until that point. To then suggest the Watchtower caused what was already present is a bit rich in my opinion. Moreover, in some countries, JWs continue to be oppressed by the governments or state religions. If it somehow turns out JWs in these countries are more depressed, why blame the Watchtower? Wouldn't it make more sense to consider the oppressive secular regimes?

The poster's impressions about the high unemployment rate among JWs could have some validity. The unskilled and semi-skilled easily outnumber skilled workers in the ranks of the unemployed. If JWs were overly-represented among the unemployed I'd suggest the prime factor would be that the world has way too many window cleaners already. Solution: Upskill. Go to college, university...oh, the Watchtower frowns upon higher education. Okay. Line up for the dole then...

• dozy
    dozy

UK -- same here. A lot on anti-depressants - as most kept it quiet , I don't really know how many or how it compares with the country in general. Quite a few CO wives as well , according to a CO friend of mine ( a combination of depression that they had never had children coupled with a pretty miserable life , I guess. )

The image often painted in the Watchtower of a boundlessly happy people giving each other tremendous support & having "love among themselves" is just a complete fiction.

It has long been an issue in the UK that lots of JWs work the benefits system. In some areas , whole congregations exist on welfare with few of the brothers having "proper jobs." Back in the 80's , people used to "sign on" as unemployed on a Tuesday and the morning congregation service arrangement was put back 15 minutes so that the many JWs who were supposedly unemployed would be on time for the arrangement. I was a young guy in full time work at that time & remember being really unhappy about this , especially as most of the dole applicants could easily have had jobs if they had wanted to , but were pioneering & held up as good examples in the congregation , while I was regarded as wordly because I worked 5 days a week.

• biometrics
    biometrics

@No Room For George

I think you're correct. I never knew that many people were on psychiatric medication, that makes JW figures seem "normal". The "Worldly" friends I know are mostly educated, and probably wouldn't discuss whether they're on medication, at least not with me.

When I went to the doctor a few years ago for feeling tired / low engergy levels. He tried to convince me I was depressed (I now know he gets higher rates from the Government for "mental health" consultations). I got out of there as quickly as I could, took matters in my own hands, changed my diet, and exercise.

I guess the depression topic came up alot when I was attending meetings. It was quite common to hear "Sister so-and-so is in the hospital for depression", and on heavy duty medication like lithium. And I personally had friends who were on medication and commited suicide. My brother in law had to cut one of my JW friends from the noose he hung from. He was on antidepressants, came home from the meeting, went out with another JW couple. They gave him wine (big no with the medication he was on). He had a wife and two young children.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Besides, the Watchtower's messages tends to "appeal" to people who could have a propensity for depression. Certainly, happy people are not be as attracted to the witnesses promise of a colgate-smiling, plastic pradise earth as perhaps desperately unhappy people would be.

steve2...I think you have a valid point there. Happy people do not get attracted to the WTS...they target the depressed. People who are looking for meaning and purpose in life.

Society seems to be getting more depressed by the day. Maybe that's why there are so many religions continuously appearing to help fleece the unsuspecting.

• LV101
    LV101

O dozy - same info I heard heard about Ohio congregations faking their mental states (shouldn't be hard for witnesses) and saying they were crazy (exact words from elder) to live off the dole to pioneer. So much for following the Bible's admonition to work hard to eat. Peer pressure to pioneer is sick --- this religion should be shut down and the gov't would be ahead of the game.

It's such a depressing religion/life. Many in one of the congregations in Calif. were on prozac (according to an elder) yrs. ago --- I can only imagine the stats today.

They all seem to be alcoholics if they're not on psychotropics.

• designs
    designs

Among Elders alcohol was the #1 medication. I know I was one.

• ziddina
    ziddina

marking....

Oh, and ironically, I'm sitting here listening to the Rolling Stones' song "Mother's Little Helper"...

How ironic is that!!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would not be surprised to see many witlesses on unemployment and/or welfare so they can pious-sneer without having to actually work. And yes, the religion lends itself to depression and anxiety because everything fun is banned, their destruction is imminent if they don't do enough, and they miss out on life.

However, I will add that psychiatric medication is being increasingly prescribed worldwide. New Zealand is just one example--here in the United Tyranny of Stupidity, it is just as bad if not even worse. Children in school being prescribed Ritalin for fidgeting. ADHD being diagnosed for drawing pictures in class or talking out of turn. Poor penmanship is an excuse to prescribe a drug. The schools get money for each child they get on psychiatric medicine (aside magnesium, which is actually a nutrient and is not prescribed). And drugs like Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil are prescribed to children that are not doing well in school (instead of good old fashioned studying). This is independent of what religion they profess to be.

It might be true that Jehovah's Witlesses, supposedly the happiest people on earth, get more than their fair share of psychiatric medication. In fact, I have seen a few that were taking the rubbish. They then get by on 3-4 hours' sleep per night on their drugs, pious-sneer, and then say that I should pious-sneer. And this doesn't include such "drugs" as coffee (when one depends on it just to get going in the morning, it becomes a drug instead of something you merely enjoy). It also doesn't include "drugs" added to food and water (fluoride in the water, and monosodium glutamate and aspartame in the food) that the witlesses seem to consume more than their share of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit