Was I Truly Baptized?

by TOTH 15 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    bap·tism
    1. A person's initiation into a particular activity or role, typically one perceived as difficult: "his baptism as a politician".
    2. A ceremony or occasion at which this takes place.

If you want to be picky, you were initiated into a particular activity- that of regularly participating in the recruitment work of Jehovah's Witnesses and counting yourself among their flock. The JW baptism is just a ceremony or a ritual. They will say you were baptized. But it can mean what you want it to mean. It can be meaningless to you if that's what you make of it. I tend to think mine was meaningless, but I took no chances as far as personal meaning goes. I renounced it privately, as I am a fader who wished to maintain contact with JW family. Otherwise, I would have renounced it publicly. On page 2 of this thread, http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/133224/2/My-upcoming-UN-Dedication-Ceremony
    I had my unbaptism ceremony. I thoroughly recommend a personally freeing event of your own to really help yourself. It can be private or attended by others of your choosing. It's recorded there, but here's how it went. I drove to a rest area along the highway after dropping my wife off at her Assembly Hall, the first she attended without me since our wedding.

...The rest area had grills, ... (it had been raining) ...
    The grill was full of wet leaves. I left them as I didn't want to start a wild fire. I just cleared the center area and shredded a "Live Forever" book, a Watchtower, Awake, "Keep On the Watch" brochure, and several DC invites. It was quite a pile of shreds.

I said out loud (nobody in earshot anyway) "It was 20 years ago this very month of April that my life got sidetracked. I reached out to God for help, but a mind-contol cult snuck in and took over. They led me to their altar and told me to dedicate myself to their organization. They left out some information, so today I officially undedicate myself to the Watchtower Organization."

"Right now, this very minute, my wife is attending a baptism talk at the local assembly hall. The new recruits will undergo the same agony I went through for many years. It is fitting that I choose this time to undedicate."

I had quite a problem lighting the fire, as the leaves were damp and the wind was bad, but I didn't give up. Soon I had a large flame in the grill. That seemed appropriate. It's been hard to break free from the WTS, but once I started on the way out, there was no stopping me, and I reached the point of blazing mad, now hoping the flames will die down, so I can just move on.

As I stirred the paper with a stick, I said "Just as WT left out important information, I no longer concern myself with the information I supply them. I am free to use deceptive methods to avoid their witch hunts or withhold information. Since I was not fully informed about disfellowshipping and false prophecies, my baptism was invalid. By my undedication, I renounce it."

After insuring the flames were completely out after the papers all burned, I left. As I turned the key in the car, here is the song that was playing-

The Clash "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?"

Skip first stanza, go right to chorus-

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go there will be trouble

And if I stay it will be double

So come on and let me know

This indecisions bugging me

If you dont want me, set me free

Exactly whom Im supposed to be

Dont you know which clothes even fit me?

Come on and let me know

Should I cool it or should I blow?

If I go there will be trouble

And if I stay it will be double

So you gotta let me know

Should I stay or should I go?

I know the answer- I should go now. There will be trouble, but it won't be double because I didn't stay.

A JW at an assembly could use this coincidental song as proof that God was leading him. I said that I will never allow myself to believe such a thing again. Weird coincidence happens. It ain't proof of nothing.

The next song was AC/DC
    "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)"We roll tonight to the guitar bite

Stand up and be counted for what you are about to receive

We are the dealers

We'll give you everything you need

Hail hail to the good times

Cos rock has got the right of way

We ain't no legends ain't no cause

We're just livin' for today

For those about to rock, we salute you

We rock at dawn on the front line

Like a bolt right outta the blue

The skies alight with a guitar bite

Heads will roll and rock tonight

For those about to rock, we salute you, yes we do

Salute

We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire

Ready and aimed at you

Pick up your balls and load up your cannon

For a twenty one gun salute

For those about to rock

Fire

We salute you

For those about to rock

We salute you

For those about to rock

Fire

We salute you

Fire

We salute you

We salute you, c'mon

Shoot, shoot

Shoot, shoot

For those who give

For those who take

Those left high

And those on the make

We salute you

We salute you

We salute you

Fire

I think heavy rockers will appreciate how appropriate that ending was. I sit at the coffee shop, enjoying the day, catching up on JWD and will get out in the sun before picking up the wife at the prison, and taking her to dinner. She understood that I couldn't sit through the lectures today and didn't comment.

Thank you all for sharing my ceremony. It might seem weird to some, but it is such a freedom. Almost as good as sex. Maybe better, I never keep thinking about sexual experiences.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Your baptism may have been meaningless to you and to God. - But it is still on record with the WTS and that is what counts in this life. You are an ex publisher, an ex aux. pioneer with a baptism date on your last record card, whenever that was entered up.

No escaping it, you are a baptised ex member whom they feel they still own, if they want to exercise that "right"

• designs
    designs

Now that you are unsaved what are your plans

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    No escaping it, you are a baptised ex member whom they feel they still own, if they want to exercise that "right"

Interesting comment, BluesBrother. How can they exercise their right? I mean, what powers do they have if one refuses to acknowledge them or be afraid of them?

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

TOTH, I did the exact same thing. I only got baptized because I was the only one from my age group left and was starting to get looked down on and my mom really wanted me to. I too never felt a connection with anyone or "the truth" nor made any dedication; I was in my late teens and didn't know what I wanted, so I did what everyone else wanted me to do and got flea dipped.

Being a woman the only offices you are encouraged to reach out for is pious-sneer and elder’s wife, so I went into business with my dad; boy did that cause a stir. I am only still in to "support" my mom and to continue being able to visit with my sister and her family; at least my business keeps me busy enough to get the “wolves” off my back and gives me a good excuse for why I don't go out in field circus much (I play the, oh woe is me the overworked Christian, role pretty well).

To this day I still feel, not just weird, but uncomfortable and awkward.

To answer your question about baptism, technically speaking yes we got baptized and, unfortunately, willing went through wash-towel initiation; according to the borganization we’re one of them. However if you believe in God, and no dedication was made, your baptism is null and void.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Hey, wait a minute..........You ain't Frank!

Outaservice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit