Who Knows The Exact Current Interpretation of "Generation" Please!

by Bubblegum Apotheosis 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Hey BubbaGum,

According to the WT encyclopedia "Insight" on my 2010 WT Lib CD, here's what generation means (red added for emphasis):

*** it-1 p. 917 Generation ***
    A generation commonly refers to all persons who were born about the same time. (Ex 1:6; Mt 11:16) Associated with this is the meaning “contemporaries.” At Genesis 6:9 it is stated concerning Noah: “He proved himself faultless among his contemporaries [literally, generations].” When used with reference to family relationships, a generation can refer to a group of descendants, as sons and daughters or grandsons and granddaughters.—Job 42:16.

*** it-1 pp. 917-918 Generation ***
    Length. When the term “generation” is used with reference to the people living at a particular time, the exact length of that time cannot be stated, except that the time would fall within reasonable limits. These limits would be determined by the life span of the people of that time or of that population.

... and ...

*** it-1 p. 918 Generation ***
    The people of this 20th-century generation living since 1914 have experienced these many terrifying events concurrently and in concentrated measure—international wars, great earthquakes, terrible pestilences, widespread famine, persecution of Christians, and other conditions that Jesus outlined in Matthew chapter 24, Mark chapter 13, and Luke chapter 21.

Now, take the opposite of what they have published in Insight and voila! You have their exact current interpretation.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Witness 007 wrote:

As I said: "Now the [Generation] that KNEW the 1914 generation is "the generation" DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE?....."

@djeggnog wrote:

No. There is no such thing as a "1914 generation" any more. Jehovah's Witnesses have since 2010 needed to abandon this terminology and we have.

Before the 2010 article, Jehovah's Witnesses had believed there to be such a thing, but that interpretation has been abandoned in favor of what we now understand to be the generation of the sign, during which those of the anointed living when aspects of the composite sign are being discerned (starting with WWI and ending with the great tribulation) would be contemporaries. As indicated in my response to @Ucantnome below, it makes no difference if anyone of the anointed that bears witness to the composite should die as the result of a heart attack, car accident, plane crash or natural causes, that individual would be a contemporary of the generation of the sign.

@Ucantnome wrote:

So I am wondering is there a need for the anointed who see the beginning of the sign to overlap with those who see the end to be called contemporaries? Contemporaries of what? Each other or the sign?

@djeggnog wrote:

The sign?

@Ucantnome wrote:

If it's the sign then to me it seems as long as the sign is there it will have contemporaries.

@djeggnog wrote:

Correct.

@JeffT wrote:

You needed to abandon the terminology in use before 2010 because it was demonstrably false.

Yes, by 2010, we realized the terminology in use before 2010 where we would make reference to the "1914 generation" was false. There used to be a time when a willingness to admit when you are wrong about something was considered to be an admirable trait, but now even former Witnesses -- that used to admire the candor of Jehovah's Witnesses in their willingness to stand up for their beliefs, and their possessing the courage to say 'yes, we used to believe that, but over time we came to realize that we were wrong' despite the anticipated blowback we subsequently receive -- point the finger of blame at us as though we knew that the teaching we have had to abandon was false, this posture seems hypocritical to me if former Witnesses that once embraced the same false teachings should now pretend that they knew them to be "demonstrably false."

When I became a JW in 1973 there was a very clear understanding of what "this generation" referred to. It was the people who were old enough in 1914 to have understood the difference between the world before the last days began, and the world in the last days.

Well, you know what, the understanding you had back in 1973 was clearly wrong. Can you accept this or not? You and I both thought there was such a thing as a "1914 generation," but now we know that this teaching was in error. You need to accept the fact that there was no "very clear understanding" back in 1973 as to what "this generation" referred to at Matthew 24:34. The sooner you stop pretending otherwise, the less ignorant you will be perceived. You learned back in 1973 how Jehovah's Witnesses had interpreted and understood the meaning of Matthew 24:34 and based on the article that appeared in the Watchtower dated April 15, 2010 ("Holy Spirit's Role in the Outworking of Jehovah's Purpose"), you now know that what you learned back in 1973 was wrong. Get 1973 out of your head. We were wrong in 1973 and if you were onhe of Jehovah's Witnesses back in 1973 that subscribed to the belief in a "1914 generation," then so were you.

That understanding proved to be wrong and was abandoned for the [...] current inexplicable understanding.

Yes, it was wrong, but I'm surprised that you think our currently understanding of what Jesus meant by the expression, "this generation," at Matthew 24:34 to be inexplicable, when I've explained how we interpret this verse quite clearly in this thread.

The society teaches that the trinity doctrine -- three overlapping personalities within the unity of the Godhead-- is unscriptural, not understandable and not rational, therefore false. You should apply that logic to the current understanding of a generation.

Why? There's nothing logical about the trinity doctrine, for if you think there to be something logical about the doctrine, then I'd like you to explain it to me logically, since I would love to be given the opportunity to deconstruct your explanation to point out how ridiculous I find it to be just as I did when a JWN member (@UnDisfellowshipped) boasted how he could prove using the NWT that "the Trinity Doctrine is taught or supported in the Bible" back in July 2010 and didn't. IOW, there isn't anything logical about the trinity doctrine that would be applicable to the current understanding of Jehovah's Witnesses as to our interpretation of Matthew 24:34.

Look: Are you prepared to demonstrate to me that what you and all other Jehovah's Witnesses back in 1973 understood as to be the meaning of "this generation" was correct? If not, then what's with all of this self-righteous bloviation on your part, @JeffT? It seems to me that at the time you were wrong, too.

@agonus:

So very many paragraphs devoted to the exposition of one little word. Hasn't the Society said in the past that The Truth should be clear, simple, and easy to understand and explain?

No.

@Freeof1914:

On another note Djegnog why would someone with such a CLEAR [understanding] of watchtower doctrine, not biblical, be on an apostate website. An action that is clearly condemned by the watchtower? Just curious as to why you are completely disobeying the watchtower? Apparently your understanding is not complete because [the] society has clearly stated it is a reprehensible action what you have done?

I am not at all familiar with "watchtower doctrine," for it such existed, I agree that it would not be biblical, and as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, the only doctrines by which I pattern my life are those found in the Bible, and those doctrines are arguably "biblical."

Contrary to what you believe, JWN is not an "apostates-only" website, and until @Simon does make such a declaration, you will find me posting messages here to JWN. You may be of the opinion that a Christian should allow the consciences of others to dictate what another does or doesn't do, but being one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I have a Bible trained conscience that has been trained to be able to distinguish between what is right and wrong.

That said, I do not find anything sinful or wrong with posting messages to JWN, and if I did, my conscience would not permit me to do so. I realize that you are under the mistaken impression that some among Jehovah's Witnesses are masters over the faith of other Jehovah's Witnesses, and while I agree with you that many Jehovah's Witnesses do not think for themselves or seem to know how to think for themselves, I can assure you that I'm not one of those Christians, but that I am a mature Christian. I have only one to judge me, and no mature Christian would permit his or her freedom to be judged by another's conscience.

If you should no longer be one of Jehovah's Witnesses, this was your choice to make and an acceptable exercise of your own free will to leave our ranks, but it is evident to me that you don't know enough about what Jehovah's Witnesses believe or what the Bible teaches to think you can give me advice on what you believe I should or should not do. When I was a child, I subjected myself to the authority of my parents and gave heed to the advice they gave me as a child, but when I became a man, I respected their authority as my parents and continued to listen to their advice, but I no longer subjected myself to it as if I were still a child. I'll leave you now to figure out for yourself how this same analogy applies in the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses.

@Billy the Ex-Bethelite:

According to the WT encyclopedia "Insight" on my 2010 WT Lib CD, here's what generation means....

I believe Insight on the Scriptures was published back in 1988. However, an adjustment in how Jehovah's Witnesses understand the expression, "this generation," at Matthew 24:34 was made in the article, "Holy Spirit's Role in the Outworking of Jehovah's Purpose," that appeared in the Watchtower dated April 15, 2010, some 22 years later. If Jehovah's Witnesses had interpreted Matthew 24:34 in the way we do since that 2010 article back in 1988, before the Insight book was first published, then you would not have been able to post what things you included in your post from it, which things have become irrelevant.

This is not unlike you had posted an article to me instead indicating how Pluto is a planet, when almost six years ago now, back on August 23, 2006, the International Astronomical Union voted in the Prague to strip Pluto of its status as a planet, so that we consider it today to be a dwarf planet and what had formerly been nine planets became eight. I have no interest in reading articles in the Insight book that contain obsolete information in them.

It does occur to me, @BillyEB, that since you have the "2010 WT Lib CD," you could just as well have quoted something more current, such as something from the above-referenced article, which would have been consistent with how Jehovah's Witnesses now understand Matthew 24:34, instead of quoting something that is now useless, obsolete. You're not a stupid guy, so tell me: Are you just trolling me or was there some point you wanted to make? If you are just having fun, that's fine, too, but perhaps you might consider getting yourself a ball. I enjoy coming to JWN, but I don't come here to have fun or to troll anyone.

@djeggnog

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Thanks, Billy. That rounds out the discussion quite nicely. What was then and what is now, which we are discussing.

Yes Djeggnog, I can see we are at cross-purposes here, so I will try and simplify. With the beast argument I tried to demonstrate scholarly dishonesty (seems like I wasn’t very successful). For one to understand this argument you have to know about the beasts, and what the Society’s interpretation of the beasts are. That’s why I gave you the summary, to save time.

1) Are you saying here that you believe the "scarlet-colored wild beast" at Revelation 17:3, the beast on whom the harlot sits, is also the beast described at Revelation 11:7?

Yes, that is what I am saying, contrary to what the Society are saying. See explanation at Rev. 17:8. That means Rev. 11:7 has nothing to do with 1914-1918, viz. the Society’s explanation. The League of Nations was only formed in 1919. And if it did not take place, then it would be referring to a future, which is a frightening thought for a JW.

2) Are you saying here that you believe the "scarlet-colored wild beast" at Revelation 17:3, the beast on whom the harlot sits, is also the beast described at Revelation 13:1?

I don’t say that. The Society says so in their publications, which is false. See quote from the Revelation-book.

The conclusion one reaches is that the Society has no qualms in twisting the meaning of the Scriptures, i.e., God’s Word, to accommodate some of their core doctrines, e.g. 1914.

In connection with translating, don’t know whether you are aware that the NWT is an English translation, i.e., it was translated into English first, an English Bible for an English audience. So all the other NWTs, in the different languages, were translated from the English version. Feel free to check this out if you don’t believe me. So the English NWT is of cardinal importance in establishing the meaning of a word or phrase. No point in going to the NWTs in the different languages. These are all based on the English NWT.

And do not underestimate Webster. It is very informative, tracing the root word back to Greek, Latin, or from where it developed from, e.g. generate – generated, generating [L. genero, generatum, to beget], etc. So for the English speaking person, it is of the utmost importance. There we can agree to disagree.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ Djeggnog,

You said to Billy the Ex-Bethelite, after he quoted from the Insight book (published in 1988), using the 2010 Watchtower CD,

"It does occur to me, @BillyEB, that since you have the "2010 WT Lib CD," you could just as well have quoted something more current, such as something from the above-referenced article, which would have been consistent with how Jehovah's Witnesses now understand Matthew 24:34, instead of quoting something that is now useless, obsolete."

If the Society considers information in the Insight volumes to be "something that is now useless, obsolete", then why are these volumes still being published in the Watchtower CD for present day distribution and study? Billy's point was that Watchtower's beliefs are ever changing, and he made that point regarding the past and present meanings of generation; the fact that you now consider the Insight books to be "useless and obsolete" demonstrates that.

Then, Dj, you said to him,

"Are you just trolling me or was there some point you wanted to make? If you are just having fun, that's fine, too, but perhaps you might consider getting yourself a ball."

Honestly Dj, why do you engage in such name calling? Billy is anything but a troll. His counter arguments to your points make a great deal of sense. And your remark that he should get a ball to play with, after admitting he is not a "stupid guy," is just plain insulting. If you are to be taken seriously, why do you make these childish remarks? They are completely off base and suggest you have no better response to a well reasoned post than to fire back with name calling and insults.

I really think you owe Billy an apology, not that I expect you go give him one.

To finish off your remarks to him, you declared yourself to not be a troll. I am a little stunned at some of the things you have said on this site, in this thread and others. I have known Jehovha's Witnesses for over 40 years, and I don't think I have ever met one as insulting as you. You're not a troll? You don't come across as a sincere JW either.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Vid & SV,

Once again I post my comments directly to the OP, and djeggnog has to chime in by insulting me. Eggy calls me a "troll" for pointing out facts that he can't disprove. He brings up something about Pluto that is a red herring. He himself calls Insight "useless", "obsolete", "irrelevant", and "I have no interest in reading articles in the Insight book...". Yet these volumes are supposed to be the first stop for researching every Bible subject.

*** w00 10/1 pp. 16-17 par. 18 Study—Rewarding and Enjoyable ***
    Another priceless study tool is the two-volume Bible encyclopedia Insight on the Scriptures. If you possess this work in a language you can understand, it should be your constant companion when you study.

In actuality, it all just proves that WT publications are not trustworth. It's particularly ironic that their current interpretation of "generation" is the complete opposite of what is still published in Insight as the meaning of the word. Their interpretation is the exact opposite of the word's meaning. "Up" becomes "down" at the "new light" of Watchtower.

One would think that they would silently have modified Insight and Reasoning, but they haven't. I wouldn't be surprised if they redefine generation yet again.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Billy the Ex-Bethelite said,

"I wouldn't be surprised if they redefine generation yet again."

I agree. In less than 20 years Watchtower has had 4 different explanations of what the generation is. One more explanation wouldn't be a surprise at all, especially since the current understanding doesn't appear to be well accepted among many dedicated JWs.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Vidqun:

For one to understand this argument you have to know about the beasts, and what the Society’s interpretation of the beasts are. That’s why I gave you the summary, to save time.

Ok.

@Vidqun wrote:

Another telling example is the Society’s identity of the beast "ascending out of the abyss" of Revelation 11:7. At Rev. 17 it is clearly identified with the League of Nations and the United Nations (Revelation Climax-book, Chapter 34, p. 248).... But at Rev. 11:7 it is identified as the great political beast of Revelation 13:1 "ascending out of the sea" (Revelation Climax-book, Chapter 25, pp. 167, 168).

@djeggnog wrote:

(1) Are you saying here that you believe the "scarlet-colored wild beast" at Revelation 17:3, the beast on whom the harlot sits, is also the beast described at Revelation 11:7?

@Vidqun wrote:

Yes, that is what I am saying, contrary to what the Society are saying. See explanation at Rev. 17:8.

The "scarlet-colored wild beast" at Revelation 17:3 is described at Revelation 13:14 as an "image" of the beast described at Revelation 13:1 that came out of the sea, which is to say that it wasn't the same beast at all, but merely a reflection of it. As to mention of the beast that the apostle John saw coming out of the "abyss" at Revelation 11:7 and being mindful that "interpretations belong to God" (Genesis 40:8), we looked elsewhere in the Bible to interpret this word "abyss" (just as we did by looking elsewhere in the Bible and using Exodus 1:6 to interpret the word "generation" used at Matthew 24:34), where we came to appreciate that the equivalent Hebrew word was "abyss" used by the psalmist in describing the Red Sea at Psalm 106:9 is "watery deep," therefore, the beast that had come out of the sea would logically be the same beast.

What this means is that the beast at Revelation 11:7 cannot be the "scarlet-colored wild beast" at Revelation 17:3.

That means Rev. 11:7 has nothing to do with 1914-1918, viz. the Society’s explanation. The League of Nations was only formed in 1919. And if it did not take place, then it would be referring to a future, which is a frightening thought for a JW.

How do you read? Paragraph 21 of the Revelation Climax book begins with the words, "From 1914 to 1918 the nations were occupied with the first world war" in commenting upon the "two witnesses" (Revelation 11:3). Revelation 11:7 says: "And when they have finished their witnessing, the wild beast that ascends out of the abyss will make war with them and conquer them and kill them," which we believe has everything to do with the war years for on July 4, 1918, and after World War I had ended, Rutherford and seven others were forced to serve long prison sentences on false charges, which action by the beast 'conquered and killed" the witnessing work. Again, the beast that comes out of the abyss is not the "scarlet-colored wild beast," for it was the political wild beast, described at Revelation 13:1 as having "ten horns and seven heads" that were responsible for killing these "two witnesses" after the hostilities of World War I had ended.

You indicate a belief that the League of Nations was formed in 1919, but with reference to the "scarlet-colored wild beast," we read at Revelation 17:8 that it is "an eighth king, [that] springs from the seven," again referring to the ten-horned, seven-headed political wild beast, which again demonstrates the fact that "scarlet-colored wild beast" is a different "beast," and cannot the same as the beast of Revelation 13:1 of which the "scarlet-colored wild beast" is but an image of it.

@djeggnog wrote:

(2) Are you saying here that you believe the "scarlet-colored wild beast" at Revelation 17:3, the beast on whom the harlot sits, is also the beast described at Revelation 13:1?

@Vidqun wrote:

I don’t say that. The Society says so in their publications, which is false. See quote from the Revelation-book.

Because you had not stated whether or not you believed the "scarlet-colored wild beast" to be the same as the beast at Revelation 13:1, I thought I should ask you what you believed to be the case instead of assuming what you believed, and so if we forget about what the Society's publications state on this point and just concentrate on what the Bible says, it becomes clear that your view is a mistaken one. The "scarlet-colored wild beast" is an "image" of the beast at Revelation 13:1, for unlike the beast at Revelation 13:1, the "scarlet-colored wild beast" didn't come out of the sea. At Revelation 13:14, the wild beast "misleads those who dwell on the earth ... [and] tells ... [them] to make an image to the wild beast that had [received] the sword-stroke" to one of its seven heads (Revelation 13:3) "and yet revived" from that sword-stroke. The "scarlet-colored wild beast" never received this sword-stroke; the beast at Revelation 13:1 did.

What this means is that the beast at Revelation 13:1 cannot be the "scarlet-colored wild beast" at Revelation 17:3 either.

The conclusion one reaches is that the Society has no qualms in twisting the meaning of the Scriptures, i.e., God’s Word, to accommodate some of their core doctrines, e.g. 1914.

I don't see that the Society has twisted the meaning of Revelation 11:7 or any the Scriptures for that matter. What I see is a misunderstanding on your part. You are the one that would identify "the beast 'ascending out of the abyss' of Revelation 11:7" as "the League of Nations and the United Nations," when the scarlet-colored wild beast at Revelation 17:3, identified as the "the League of Nations and the United Nations," is the image of the beast ascends out of the abyss at Revelation 11:7, the image of the beast that ascends out of the sea at Revelation 13:1. At Revelation 17:8, where it makes mention of "[t]he wild beast that you saw was, but is not, and yet is about to ascend out of the abyss," is, in fact, a reference to the "the League of Nations and the United Nations."

I believe the League of Nations "was" on January 10, 1920 after the hostilities of WWI had ended, then "is not" in September 1939 at which time the League went into an abyss of inactivity when WWII began, and then became "is" once again when it was revived on October 24, 1945, as the United Nations after the hostilities of WWII had ended.

Seeing how Bible prophecy came to be fulfilled, I don't see how anyone would even think about leaving the truth, even if it should turn out that we have to make another adjustment in our understanding of Matthew 24:34. We are just too close. With you yourself having been associated with Jehovah's Witnesses in the past, @Vidqun, you know so much more about where we are in the stream of time than do those outside of God's organization that have no idea what these things in the book of Revelation mean and you can be instrumental in helping many of these folks, including your own relatives, gain life. It seems rather foolish to me that anyone to be making such a big deal about our having to make an adjustment in our viewpoint as to what Jesus meant by "generation" at Matthew 24:34, just because we want to get it right.

In connection with translating, don’t know whether you are aware that the NWT is an English translation, i.e., it was translated into English first, an English Bible for an English audience. So all the other NWTs, in the different languages, were translated from the English version. Feel free to check this out if you don’t believe me. So the English NWT is of cardinal importance in establishing the meaning of a word or phrase. No point in going to the NWTs in the different languages. These are all based on the English NWT.

This is just a strawman where you wish to find fault with a process that is faultless. However, the English language NWT represents the translation of the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek Bible texts. It would be unreasonable for any Bible translator that has produced a Bible translation in English to chuck that work and start over in order to produce another Bible translation in Spanish or French or in some other language. I take your point though that it makes no difference how many other languages the NWT has been translated.

And do not underestimate Webster. It is very informative, tracing the root word back to Greek, Latin, or from where it developed from, e.g. generate – generated, generating [L. genero, generatum, to beget], etc. So for the English speaking person, it is of the utmost importance. There we can agree to disagree.

Ok.

@Billy the Ex-Bethelite wrote:

According to the WT encyclopedia "Insight" on my 2010 WT Lib CD, here's what generation means....

@ScenicViewer wrote:

You said to Billy the Ex-Bethelite, after he quoted from the Insight book (published in 1988), using the 2010 Watchtower CD,

"It does occur to me, @BillyEB, that since you have the "2010 WT Lib CD," you could just as well have quoted something more current, such as something from the above-referenced article, which would have been consistent with how Jehovah's Witnesses now understand Matthew 24:34, instead of quoting something that is now useless, obsolete."

Yes, I did say this.

If the Society considers information in the Insight volumes to be "something that is now useless, obsolete", then why are these volumes still being published in the Watchtower CD for present day distribution and study? Billy's point was that Watchtower's beliefs are ever changing, and he made that point regarding the past and present meanings of generation; the fact that you now consider the Insight books to be "useless and obsolete" demonstrates that.

Actually, @BillyEB's point was absurd: He was questioning why it is that the "now useless, obsolete" articles he quoted in his message from the Insight book on his copy of the "2010 WT Lib CD" had not been excised from the cd, why it was he was still able to quote the articles that provided what Jehovah's Witnesses had previously understood the expression, "this generation," at Matthew 24:34 to mean. In fact, you have done the very same thing here that @BillyEB had done, except he was trolling me, and I know this for reasons I don't feel any need to explain to you, Dad. Furthermore, you are off-topic. I really don't care to hear what you might opine as to what I wrote in response to @BillyEB's post.

@djeggnog wrote:

It does occur to me, @BillyEB, that since you have the "2010 WT Lib CD," you could just as well have quoted something more current, such as something from the above-referenced article, which would have been consistent with how Jehovah's Witnesses now understand Matthew 24:34, instead of quoting something that is now useless, obsolete. You're not a stupid guy, so tell me: Are you just trolling me or was there some point you wanted to make? If you are just having fun, that's fine, too, but perhaps you might consider getting yourself a ball. I enjoy coming to JWN, but I don't come here to have fun or to troll anyone.

@ScenicViewer wrote:

Honestly Dj, why do you engage in such name calling? Billy is anything but a troll.

You are entitled to believe @BillyEB to be anything but a troll, but this is what I have determined to be true about the man. Should I feel a need to ask for the advice of someone that has since 2006 shown a complete disloyalty to God's organization in rejecting both Jehovah's sovereignty and Jesus' lordship, you will be the one I will tap. Being that I am an adult that is presently in full control of my mental faculties and know a troll when I see one, I don't need your help in determining when someone posts off-topic messages for the purpose of derailing a thread.

While some trolls may even seek to annoy someone, their posts are for the most part designed to derail the threads they join. You have been a member of JWN for less than a year, but since I've been here a little longer and this is not my first "rodeo," it just may be that I have a bit more insight than you do about @BillyEB's antics on here and trolls generally. To quote @BillyEB, he wrote:

Now, take the opposite of what they have published in Insight and voila! You have their exact current interpretation.

Actually, here's what the OP asked:

(@Bubblegum Apotheosis:)

Would someone please explain the current interpretation of the Generation.

@BillyEB's response is disingenuous, because instead of quoting from the Watchtower article, entitled "Holy Spirit's Role in the Outworking of Jehovah's Purpose," dated April 15, 2010, which is found in the "2010 WT Lib CD," he quotes a few things from the Insight book, which are, as I said, "useless, obsolete," an outdated interpretation of Matthew 24:34. What @BillyEB did here is this thread is exactly what "disingenuous" means. The point I'm making here is that the OP didn't ask what it is Jehovah's Witnesses formerly believed before we abandoned that interpretation and embraced the interpretation we now have regarding the word "generation" at Matthew 24:34, so @BillyEB's post was off-topic, and every subsequent post he makes in this thread along these same lines would also be off-topic.

His counter arguments to your points make a great deal of sense. And your remark that he should get a ball to play with, after admitting he is not a "stupid guy," is just plain insulting.

This comment of yours is ridiculous, but even if any of his "counter arguments" should make sense to you, I don't feel bound in any way by any of the conclusions you might have reached about them, and as far as I am concerned, you can feel free to roll a ball with @BillyEB, but I don't want to play games with the guy. Furthermore, Dad, I don't make decisions based upon what I think others might approve or determine to be "plain insulting." Like I said, you are off-topic.

If you are to be taken seriously, why do you make these childish remarks? They are completely off base and suggest you have no better response to a well reasoned post than to fire back with name calling and insults.

I suppose I could take offense over your telling me here how you think my remarks to @BillyEB to be "childish," but you are an adult and are just as entitled as I am to believe what you want to believe, and just as entitled as I am to draw whatever conclusions you believe to be appropriate about me. In a recent thread in which the man proved to be quite disingenuous, I had to withdraw from it because (a) he was off-topic, (b) he was trolling me, and (c) he proved to dishonest, which is why I have described @BillyEB as being "disingenuous." I know exactly what my words mean, Dad. I would suggest that you adopt a child of your own, so that you might teach that child whatever it is you think to be right and wrong.

I really think you owe Billy an apology, not that I expect you go give him one.

Then by all means, @ScenicViewer, you can give an apology to @BillyEB on my behalf, if you really think he needs one, but I don't apologize to trolls.

To finish off your remarks to him, you declared yourself to not be a troll. I am a little stunned at some of the things you have said on this site, in this thread and others.

Please don't be stunned. One other thing: I didn't say I wasn't a troll, but what I did say was that "I don't come here to have fun or to troll anyone."

I have known [Jehovah's] Witnesses for over 40 years, and I don't think I have ever met one as insulting as you. You're not a troll? You don't come across as a sincere JW either.

I don't? You may have been a born-in and you may have been in association with Jehovah's Witnesses for over 40 years, but you only think you know Jehovah's Witnesses, for you think all Jehovah's Witnesses are exactly the same and should behave in exactly the same way. Some Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, are more intelligent than are others and some handle the information that they are given differently than would those with little or no education, because some things are hard for some to understand. You're way off-topic here, but as a parting short, I'll just say this:

You remind me of those who will leave God's organization to go absolutely nowhere because of having a weak conscience that permitted them to accept a blood transfusion, who fearing death were in bondage and they gave in although not really wanting to do so (Hebrews 2:15) or who would shun their own family members because of the conscience of one or more of the elders in their local congregation, who are not masters over anyone's faith (2 Corinthians 1:24) advise them to do so, or because one or more of the more influential in the congregation, who are utterly devoid of a Bible-trained conscience that can distinguish between right and wrong should strongly suggest, based on something they read in one of our magazines or heard someone say, that you should violate your own Bible trained conscience that informs you is unloving to be shunning members of one's own family just because someone else's conscience thinks doing this to be the right thing for you to be doing.

A baptized relative that knows the truth, but who deliberately teaches things that run counter to what he knows the Bible teaches is an apostate, for which he or she should be disfellowshipped and shunned by his own baptized relatives, but for all other disfellowshipped relatives, we should mark them, but 'not treat them as if they were enemies. We should instead continue to admonish them as brothers and sisters.' (2 Thessalonians 3:14, 15) Your own conscience is telling you it is unloving for you to not embrace the joy that occasions the birth of one of their children to whom you are related, unloving for you to not attend the funerals of our own family members based on viewing what is only a suggestion designed only to protect your spirituality to be a rule that forces you to treat members of one's own family as if they no longer mattered or were really dead. No, all Jehovah's Witnesses are not exactly the same.

I agree with Paul: Why on earth would anyone permit their own freedom in Christ to be judged by another person's conscience? (1 Corinthians 10:29) Paul also wrote: "Do you not know that if you keep presenting yourselves to anyone as slaves to obey him, you are slaves of him because you obey him...."? (Romans 6:16) I may not come off to you as being "a sincere JW," but besides being judgmental, who are you? I mean, you're not @Simon, you're not a mod, you don't run JWN, so who are you to me that I should listen to you? Are you the Pharaoh?

@djeggnog

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

djeggnog: "This is not unlike you had posted an article to me instead indicating how Pluto is a planet..."

What does Pluto have to do with "generation" from Insight. #10. Once again djeggnog has to go off-topic about some unrelated post that wasn't mine.

Give it up Eggy, you lose again. Go ahead and attack me and call me "off-topic" for quoting "generation" from Insight. I'm the one that was addressing the opening post by the original poster. You are the one that had to attack my use of WT publications and call me a "troll" for quoting from Insight.

If you have issues with the accuracy of Watchtower Corporation litteratrash, I suggest you take it up with them... not me.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Djeggnog wrote regarding my post,

"I really don't care to hear what you might opine as to what I wrote in response to @BillyEB's post."

I guess you wouldn't, but do you really think that most readers on this forum care to read the giant bag of empty words you post on almost every reply, Sonny boy? (Actually I have no idea how old you are, but you called me Dad at least 3 times , which was woefully off topic, as was the majority of what you said, but I'll respond to your remarks.)

You said this,

"Should I feel a need to ask for the advice of someone that has since 2006 shown a complete disloyalty to God's organization in rejecting both Jehovah's sovereignty and Jesus' lordship..."

Not at all; I have neither rejected, nor shown disloyalty to, anything about Jehovah God or Jesus Christ. However, I have rejected many teachings of Watchtower and now see the organization for what it really is: a human based religion that has had many false teachings, promoted false prophecies, and has shown that it's first love is for self, for it's own success and prosperity as a religion, rather than for God or people.

And you said,

"You may have been a born-in..." No, I'm not born-in.

"...you may have been in association with Jehovah's Witnesses for over 40 years." Yes, baptised in the early 1970s at the age of 20. I came in during the pre-1975 boom.

And you made these remarks, which puzzle me,

"You remind me of those who will leave God's organization to go absolutely nowhere because of having a weak conscience that permitted them to accept a blood transfusion..."

Again, not at all. You didn't exactly say I had accepted a blood transfusion, but that I remind you of someone who did. For the record I have not. It was issues other than blood that brought me to the internet and this forum, but when I read the thread where you were invited to participate in a blood discussion, I have to say my eyes were opened on that topic. It quickly became clear that neither Watchtower nor Djeggnog had a leg to stand on regarding the Society's blood policy. I was truly grateful for that thread and your participation in it. It was an unexpected gift. (That discussion is found here.)

Actually, when I was in Watchtower I was going absolutely nowhere, although in the early years I thought I was.

Dj, more of your remarks,

"...or who would shun their own family members because of the conscience of one or more of the elders in their local congregation, who are not masters over anyone's faith (2 Corinthians 1:24) advise them to do so, or because one or more of the more influential in the congregation, who are utterly devoid of a Bible-trained conscience that can distinguish between right and wrong should strongly suggest, based on something they read in one of our magazines or heard someone say, that you should violate your own Bible trained conscience that informs you is unloving to be shunning members of one's own family just because someone else's conscience thinks doing this to be the right thing for you to be doing."

Huh? As to shunning, I have never had a family member in a position to be shunned, nor would I have ever done so since that is a Watchtower policy that I have never been comfortable with. I have no idea what your remarks about"the conscience of one or more of the elders in their local congregation"or most of the rest of the above quoted paragraph means; it is somewhat incoherent.

However, you did make another remark about shunning,

"...violate your own Bible trained conscience that informs you is unloving to beshunning members of one's own family just because someone else's conscience thinks doing this to be the right thing for you to be doing."

Again, your remarks about me shunning someone, or being like someone who shuns, are not connected with reality.

But you said more,

"Your own conscience is telling you it is unloving for you to not embrace the joy that occasions the birth of one of their children to whom you are related, unloving for you to not attend the funerals of our own family members based on viewing what is only a suggestion designed only to protect your spirituality to be a rule that forces you to treat members of one's own family as if they no longer mattered or were really dead. No, all Jehovah's Witnesses are not exactly the same."

Honestly DJ, I think you have me mixed up with someone else, since I have never 'treated a member of my family as if they no longer mattered or were dead,' nor failed to embrace the joy of the birth of a family member's child, nor failed to attend the funeral of a deceased family member, I am struggling to figure out why you are using that kind of language.

To answer your simple questions,

"...who are you? I mean, you're not @Simon, you're not a mod, you don't run JWN, so who are you to me that I should listen to you?

I am simply one of thousands of people who now see the Watchtower organization for what it really is, and have gained valuable knowledge about the WTS from this forum.

"Are you the Pharaoh?"

No, but I left a religion that acts like Pharaoh.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Beast that ascends out of the abyss

This is the beast that “was, but is not, and yet is destined to ascend out of the abyss” (of inactivity). After World War I it would start off as the League of Nations, disappearing in the clouds of World War II. Afterwards it would be resurrected as the United Nations (cf. Rev. 17:8, 11). This is the beast that would kill the two witnesses (Rev. 11:7-10). In the book of Daniel it would be given the title “the [ultimate] abomination causing desolation” (Dan. 8:13; 11:31). This beast stands in the place of God’s kingdom, therefore an abomination in God’s eyes (cf. Ps. 46:8, 9; 72:3, 7, 8; Is. 2:4; Mic. 4:3).

In Rev. 13:15 the false prophet gave breath to the image of the beast (image of beast + breath = new beast) > scarlet-colored wild beast (Rev. 17:8)

What do we learn frim this:

1) The beast that ascends out of the abyss is one beast (Rev. 11:7; Rev. 17:8).

2) That means that Rev. 11:7 cannot be applied to period 1914-1918 (League was created after that date).

3) Now for the warning: Rev. 11:7 has a future fulfillment in accordance with the rest of the Scriptures (Ezek. 39, 40; Dan. 11:40-45; Zech. 13:7-14:5; cf. Rev. 11:7, 8). That is what happens when you consort with the UN beast. You are devoured.

This is where Matt. 24:15, 16 and Mark 13:14 come in. These prophecies have been fulfilled. Now is the time to flee. Where do you flee to?

As discussed on a previous thread (which you don't agree with). One cannot flee to God's organization, it has been compromised. The following places you should NOT flee to: The "mountains of Israel" are going to be invaded by Gog (Ezek. 38:8). The "beautiful land" (= the land of the Decoration) is going to be invaded by the King of the North (Dan. 11:41, 45). Jerusalem (= spiritual Jerusalem) is going to be captured (Zech. 13:7, 8; 14:1, 2). The two witnesses are going to be killed by the "beast from the abyss" (= the UN) (Rev. 11:7). Paul said: "Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves, says Jehovah, and quit touching the unclean thing" (cf. Is. 52:11). By consorting with the beast, JWs have placed them on the same level as Babylon the Great (Rev. 18:4). The only place one can flee to is mentioned at Zech. 14:3-5 (for additional reading: Dan. 8:11-14).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit