Whole Foods "Organic Foods" come from China!

by 00DAD 20 Replies latest social current

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I found thing on a Whole Foods site:

by Joe Dickson, June 6th, 2008 | Permalink | Email this

Update: June 13, 2010

Since I wrote this post about two years ago, we’ve had a few changes and I wanted to make sure anyone reading this is up to speed on current information.

As of this summer (2010), we are no longer sourcing any of our Whole Foods Market 365 Everyday Value food products from China EXCEPT for frozen edamame (shelled and unshelled, organic and conventional). This means that out of more than 2,000 365 Everyday Value products right now, only ten are from China. These products include tea and frozen vegetables. We will be selling through the remaining stock of six of those over the summer, and the edamame will be the only one remaining at that time.

I want to be really clear that we didn’t stop sourcing from China because of quality or food safety concerns. As I explain in the post below, we have always had great confidence in our vendor partners in China, and we have taken great steps – including visiting farms and processing facilities ourselves, in addition to organic certification — to verify that those suppliers have the same level of integrity and commitment to quality as the rest of our partners across the world.

Our move to other sources is simply that through a routine bidding process, we found several suppliers in other countries, including the U.S., that offered the same or better quality at better prices. This was primarily a business decision – changing vendors was a good decision for our customers right now. As mentioned, we will continue to source edamame from China because we are not able to find the same high quality edamame for the same price anywhere else. (In order to provide our customers with a choice, we also stock a premium, domestic frozen edamame from Columbia River Organics, a family-owned farm in Washington State.)

While some of our customers have questioned our sourcing from China, ultimately this was a business decision based on maintaining or improving both the quality and price of our private label products. It’s possible that we will source more products from China again in the future. The bottom line is that beyond quality and price, we give our customers many choices in the products we offer and where they are sourced.

Another important clarification: it has always been our policy and practice to clearly label fresh produce with its country of origin. While we do not purchase fresh produce from China for national distribution, in some circumstances stores may bring in Chinese products such as edamame, ginger, shiitake mushroom and garlic. For example, in the Vancouver market items with origins in Asia are very common and in high demand. Product of China may be among our offerings in select markets such as Vancouver BC. Again, there is always country of origin labeling by all fresh produce.

We appreciate all of your feedback. Read on for more details.

———————-

http://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/2008/06/is-organic-from-china-possible/

I personally think they got spanked by their customers.
  • Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Last year Whole Foods also surrendered to Monsanto. Why?

Whole Food's Dirty Little Secret: Most of the So-Called "Natural" Processed Foods and Animal Products They Sell Are Contaminated with GMOs

The main reason, however, why Whole Foods is pleading for coexistence with Monsanto, Dow, Bayer, Syngenta, BASF and the rest of the biotech bullies, is that they desperately want the controversy surrounding genetically engineered foods and crops to go away. Why? Because they know, just as we do, that 2/3 of WFM's $9 billion annual sales is derived from so-called "natural" processed foods and animal products that are contaminated with GMOs. We and our allies have tested their so-called "natural" products (no doubt WFM's lab has too) containing non-organic corn and soy, and guess what: they're all contaminated with GMOs, in contrast to their certified organic products, which are basically free of GMOs, or else contain barely detectable trace amounts.

Approximately 2/3 of the products sold by Whole Foods Market and their main distributor, United Natural Foods (UNFI) are not certified organic, but rather are conventional (chemical-intensive and GMO-tainted) foods and products disguised as "natural."

Unprecedented wholesale and retail control of the organic marketplace by UNFI and Whole Foods, employing a business model of selling twice as much so-called "natural" food as certified organic food, coupled with the takeover of many organic companies by multinational food corporations such as Dean Foods, threatens the growth of the organic movement.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_22449.cfm

• wiser
    wiser

Go to Whole Foods, Spend your Whole Check. I will not be shopping there.

• mind blown
    mind blown

THANK YOU for posting 00DAD! From now on I'll really be checking the lables!

This is craziness! Also Trader Joes, fruits and veggies are from Mexico. Gotta watch the frozen foods there too??!! "Fresh N Easy" as well........

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hah!!

About 6 years ago, I "temped" at the Whole Foods regional headquarters....

Since I was hoping to be hired permanently, I went shopping at the local "Whole Foods" supermarket....

I was not impressed - it was more like a glorified King Soopers with pretensions of being a "health" food store, than a legitimate "health food" store....

Here in Colorado, the BEST alternative to "Whole Foods" is "Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocers". Their produce is clearly marked - as coming from the U.S., or Mexico, or other South American countries...

They don't have the SIZE or GIGANTIC selection of "Whole Foods", but they appear to be much more SELECTIVE in the produce they offer. Which ALSO means a person doesn't often see foods that are out of season - which is actually a GOOD indication that their food tends to be grown closer to "home"...

The next-best choice is "Sunflower Markets" - not nearly as careful with their merchandise as "Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocers", but much better than "Whole Foods"...

There used to be a chain called "Wild Oats" here, too, but I think they're out of business... Need to go look that up online....

Zid

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Zid: There is also the huge number of often overlooked regional "farmer's markets" to choose from here...

Even average supermarkets including my neighboorhood Safeway are featuring products in their produce department that are flagged "Locally Grown!" (listing Colorado or neighboring states as the source)... While "Whole Foods" just strikes me as a Walmart "buy all" (and over-price) that is equally willing to sell-out when it comes to honesty.

- Lime

• talesin
    talesin

I go to the local Farmer's Market and know who I'm buying my 'organic' or otherwise locally farmed products. It is cheaper than the local equivalent of "Whole Foods" (it's called Organic Planet), and it's great to buy from ppl you KNOW. The 100-mile diet immediately came to my mind,, anything you can buy that comes from a 100-mile radius is best.

Of course, I can't buy avocadoes, oranges and a few other things locally - for those things, I usually go to another locally-owned and run 'smaller' supermarket that specializes in high-quality imports.

t

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ah, now I remember....

This was another factor in my decision to NEVER shop at "Whole Foods"....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Oats_Markets

Especially this particular aspect of that attempted "purchase"....

"On 21 February 2007, Whole Foods Market announced that it had agreed to acquire Wild Oats for an estimated $565 million.
    On 27 June 2007, the Federal Trade Commission issued an administrative complaint challenging the acquisition. According to the complaint, the FTC believed that the proposed transaction "would violate federal antitrust laws by eliminating the substantial competition between these two uniquely close competitors in the operation of premium natural and organic supermarkets nationwide" and contended that "if the transaction goes forward Whole Foods would have the ability to raise prices and reduce quality and services."
    On July 29, 2008, the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia overturned the district court's decision allowing the merger.
    The Court of Appeals ruled that "premium natural, and organic supermarkets" ("PNOS"), such as Whole Foods and Wild Oats, constitute a distinct submarket of all grocers.
    The court ruled that "mission driven" consumers (those with an emphasis on social and environmental responsibility) would be adversely affected by the merger because substantial evidence by the FTC showed that Whole Foods intended to raise prices after consummation of the merger.

In 2009 Whole Foods agreed to sell the Wild Oats chain.

Yeahhhh..... It's all coming back to me, now...

NAAAAAASTY people!! Wouldn't do business with them if my LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!!!

Zid

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Not that it'll sway my family who buy into Whole Foods and "alternative medicine" as if it were perscribed by the Watchtower... but thanks for that, ziddna. Very interesting. My family used to shop at Wild Oats, so I'll print the wikipedia article and highlight that myself, in case they ever dare "ask a question" for themselves.

- Lime

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"The next-best choice is "Sunflower Markets"

A Sunflower market just opened in my town. I like it, they're meats are cheaper and I think better than what I can get at whole foods. And I like their produce section.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit