The Two Trees - My Genesis Ponderings

by cedars 190 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

Again, not to put too fine an edge, and all that -

But, was the "knowledge of good and bad" inherited from the ancient parents (& only them) eating from that one tree?

Why do some people have more knowledge of good and bad than others in that case? I.E. - Cain versus Abel.

If sin is inherited, why do some seem to have inherited more sin than others? I.E. - Hitler versus Pope John Paul?

• cedars
    cedars

definitely described in the text as two distinct horticultural specimens! How so? I do not think they are horticultural. I think they have something to do with the mind.

Okaay!

Cedars

• N.drew
    N.drew

Another reason why I think they arethe same is why was it not mentioned again untill they could not have it any more? The word for "also" at Genesis 3:22 might be translated "again", but I think only an ancient Hebrew Scholar might help me there. But I don't have a scholar. Does anyone?

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

The text says they eat from EVERY tree--except the Tree of Knowledge. The Tree of Life is not excluded in the statement.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    If sin is inherited, why do some seem to have inherited more sin than others? I.E. - Hitler versus Pope John Paul?

A differentiation is made between inherited sin (passive), and actual sin (active). Hitler did not inherit more sin than Pope John Paul.

• cedars
    cedars
    But, was the "knowledge of good and bad" inherited from the ancient parents (& only them) eating from that one tree?

My point is that, if as it says in the account, the "knowledge of good and bad" makes one LIKE God, then how can it simultaneously be described as sin?! Would this not make God sinful? The whole idea of inherited sin as we know it doesn't really marry with the Genesis narrative when you really analyse it, because the only "sin" is the single act of eating the forbidden fruit. Sin is therefore not described as something that can be contracted and passed on from one generation to the next. It is merely the one-off act of disobedience that led to Adam and Eve achieving a state to which they were not entitled.

Cedars

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Here's something from the other end of the Bible:

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. (Rev 2:7)

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. ( Rev 22:14)

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    The text says they may eat from EVERY tree

Agreed. They MAY.....

Did they eat from the Tree of Life?

From the text, I think NO.

Gen 3:22 indicates that AFTER eating from the Tree of Knowledge, they needed to be prevented from eating from the Tree of Life. Thus, the expulsion from the garden.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Would this not make God sinful?

Bingo.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Can it be a description of the tree? Like what is it good for? what is the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil good for? Answer-it means life. The Tree of Life.

The text says they eat from EVERY tree--except the Tree of Knowledge. The Tree of Life is not excluded in the statement.

Your reasoning doesn't work with me Botch because they ate from much more than trees. Why were trees mentioned, but not dark green leafy vegetables?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit