Did you / do you have KH Parking Lot Security Duty?

by Alfred 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Alfred
    Alfred

Just wondering if this is only a regional thing...

I've been in two Kingdom Halls in the 90's where the parking was basically shared or public... so every 15 minutes, baptized publishers (who were not irregular or inactive) were rotated and had to stand outside in all kinds of weather just to watch everyone's vehicles. When the weather was nice, it was a good opportunity stretch out to take a break from the borefest. But I always thought that this was so contrary to their belief of "putting kingdom interests first"... I even approached an elder one time about this and asked: "why are we putting material things ahead of listening to the public talk?" Needless to say, that didn't go over to well...

Did you have parking security detail in your KH? Please do share...

• Wishididntknow
    Wishididntknow

My old KH had this, but the new hall has security camera's like Fort Knox. When I was younger this was my favorite assignment....got you out of the meeting and broke up the boringness.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

best assignment ever. Standing still was also considered a little dodgy so we'd adopt the slowest pioneer pace round several roads. It was never done in the rain, but sunny days were wonderful.

mmxiv

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We had it, but on a very casual basis, rarely was anyone actually properly assigned, so I used to go walkabout. When they did remember to assign a young Bro they offered him an earpiece so that he could listen to the wonderful uplifting spiritual food (WHAAAAT?) .

I never availed myself of the use of that, strangely. I reckon some of the young bros, who were not wannabees, used to plug in a walkman and just look as though they were listening to the meeting.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

I looooooved my security parking assignment! I would take so long, walking around feeling free from the absolute boredom of the meeting that was going on only a few metres away from me. After I finished I would then head off to the bathroom to add more time away from the meeting.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I think we only had it at the Memorial, but I lived in a pretty low-crime area. Except for higher crime areas, where it may have been necessary, it wasn't a big thing that I was aware of. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they had instituted it even in low-crime areas to prevent apostates from coming in and pamphleting cars during the meeting.

• finally awake
    finally awake

Not in our area - there isn't much crime around here except meth making and domestic violence. Not much to protect the car park from. Although one time during meeting, some kids opened an unlocked car and took some loose change out of the cupholder. One of the elders was laying down in his car due to a backache (yeah right) and heard them. He collared the little brats and called the cops. It was real hard to focus on the meeting with all that going on outside.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Now young brother, you are not quite from a respectable enough family to hold a microphone or adjust a volume knob, you are too young and quiet to be trusted on the back door, you certainly cant be trusted to help with the money counting and you are not intending to pioneer so you cant count the magazines..... but because of Gods love and your loyalt to this congregation, you can join the rota to look after our cars whilst we dish out and enjoy spiritual food... that is unless there is a sports game on the radio.... then you are bottom of the list... a true privelage is it not?

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

With ours it's pretty simple. There's two attendants during the meetings, one who sits in the auditorium and takes the count, typically a ministerial servant, and there's another who sits in the lobby, typically an elder. The lobby attendant will occasionally take a brief walk through the lot to make sure everything is on the up and up, or at the very least he'll peek out of the glass windows within the door.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I loved it. Getting out of the KH was gold to me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit