WT twists Daniel to any interpretation it likes

by Moxy 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Moxy
    Moxy

This is probably well-worn territory, seeing as the WTs Daniel interpretations havent really changed in 50 years. I wanted to write some stuff out tho on the subject, just so i could see it all in one place. In 3 places in Daniel, succession of kings is discussed: chapter 2 on the metal dream image; chapters 7-8 on the beasts; and chapter 11 on the kings of the north and south.

In the WTs new Daniel book, which just summarizes the 1958 Your Will Be Done book's interpretations of these portions, all three interpretations include Rome, Britan and America. But note how they fit together in the different portions. In the quotations, ive summarized portions or added comments in [italicized brackets] and bolded parts for emphasis.

pg 55-57 (discussing Dan 2:40)

The iron legs of Nebuchadnezzar's dream image pictured not only the Roman Empire but also its political outgrowth. [7 kings of Revelation 17 considered.] Britain was once a northwestern part of the Roman Empire. But by the year 1763, it had become the British Empire--The Britannia that ruled the seven seas. By 1776 its 13 American colonies had declared their independance in order to set up the United States of America. In later years, however, Britain and the United States became partners in both war and peace. Thus, the Anglo-American combination came into existence as the seventh world power of Bible prophecy. Like the Roman Empire, it has proved to "strong like iron," exercising ironlike authority. The iron legs of the dream image thus include both the Roman Empire and the Anglo-American dual world power.
    Wow! so both britain and america are merely 'outgrowths' of the roman empire! historians might call this a vast over-simplification, but hey, britain was once a roman colony and america was once a british colony, so there you go. what more do you need? the accompanying chart, shows rome, britain, and america combined as the 'iron legs.' the next section provides a little more detail on this succession.

pg 137-141 (discussing Dan 7)

"I kept on considering the horns [of the fourth beast--Rome]," said Daniel, "and look! another horn, a small one, came up in among them, and there were three of the first horns that were plucked up from before it." (Daniel 7:8) Concerning this outgrowth, the angel told Daniel: "Another one will rise up after them [the ten kings], and he himself will be different from the first ones, and three kings he will humiliate." (Daniel 7:24) Who is this king, when did he rise, and what three kings did he humiliate?

Consider the following developments. In 55 B.C.E., Roman General Julius Caeser invaded Brittania but failed to establish a permanent settlement. In 43 C.E., Emperor Claudius began a more permanent conquest of southern Britain. Then, in 122 C.E., Emperor Hadrian began to build a wall from the Tyne River to the Solway Firth, marking the northern limit of the Roman Empire. Early in the fifth century, the Roman legions left the island. "In the sixteenth century," explained one historian, "England had been a second-rate power. Its wealth was slight compared with that of the Netherlands. Its population was much less than that of France. Its armed forces (including its navy) were inferior to Spain's." Britain evidently was an insignificant kingdom then, making up the symbolic small horn of the fourth beast [Rome].

[Several paragraphs discuss ascendancy of Britain during 16th to 20th century.]

There was more to the "small" horn that the British Empire. In 1783, Britain recognized the independance of its 13 American colonies. The United States of America eventually became Britain's ally, emerging from World War II as the earth's dominant nation. It still has strong ties with Britain. The resulting Anglo-American dual world power constitutes the 'horn having eyes.' [[Again, this is the small horn projecting from the beast representing Rome.]

OK. cant argue with the facts of history, can you? Britain was the most successful roman colony and therefore, her successor, merely an 'outgrowth.' simple as that. and, oh yes, throw in america too. the accompanying illustration shows the beast of Rome and the horn of Anglo-America snarling at the reader, a single entity.

But now, for the final trick, watch the next portion carefully, the King of the North versus the King of the South.

pg 243-247 (discussing Dan 11 - the four pages in this subheading do not actually discuss any verses in Daniel, but merely serve to patch up Dan 11:26, where the North King is Rome and the South King is Egypt, to Dan 11:27, which is in the 20th century.)

[discusses Roman Empire's split into West and East in 9th century.]

As time passed, the successors of Charlemagne proved to be ineffectual rulers. The office of the empiror even lay vacant for a time. Meanwhile, German King Otto I had gained control of much of northern and central Italy. He proclaimed himself king of Italy. On February 2, 962 C.E., Pope John XII crowned Otto I emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. Its capital was in Germany, and the emperors were Germans, as were most of their subjects. Five centuries later the Austrian house of Hapsburg obtained the title of "emperor" and held it for most of the remaining years of the Holy Roman Empire.

THE TWO KINGS AGAIN IN CLEAR FOCUS

Napoleon I delivered a deathblow to the Holy Roman Empire when he refused to recognize its existence following his victories in Germany during the year 1805. Unable to defend the crown, Emperor Francis II resigned from Roman imperial status on August 6, 1806, and withdrew to his national government as emperor of Austria. After 1,006 years, the Holy Roman Empire--founded by Leo III, a Roman Catholic pope, and Charlemagne, a Frankish king--came to an end. In 1870, Rome became the capital of the kingdom of Italy, independent of the Vatican. The following year, a Germanic empire began with Wilhelm I being named caeser, or kaiser. Thus the modern-day king of the north--Germany--was on the world scene.

But what was the identity of the modern-day king of the south? History shows that Britain took on imperial power in the 17th century. [discusses British influence in Egypt in 19th century.] Gradually forming close ties, Britain and the United States of America became the Anglo-American World Power. Together they came into the position of the king of the south.

WHOA! Did you follow all that? the actual successor of Rome is now GERMANY! What happened to Britain and America?? Well, Britain once controlled Egypt sort of, so obviously they are the successors of Egypt! and, oh yes, almost forgot, throw in america again. america is a successor of egypt too, doncha know. So now Britain and America are fighting against Rome's new successor, Germany! But didnt we already say Britain and America were themselves the successors of Rome? So obviously in fact, that they were essentially the same kingdom?!

There are so many wacky interpretations in this book, you simply have to read it yourself. But this is a clear, black-and-white example of why, whenever the WT tries to defend the bible from the allegation that its prophecies are unclear and can be intrepreted in any way one wishes, they just come off looking silly.

mox

• Beans
    Beans

Wasn`t Allemangne(Germany)once considered all of Europe?Was this after the Roman Empire or before,I thought it was before?

Is think Daniel is what they are now studying in the book study?My sister says she has no clue what they are talking about and it is very hard to grasp,mabey it`s because they don`t even know what they are talking about!

Beans

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey Beans:

Wasn`t Allemangne(Germany)once considered all of Europe?Was this after the Roman Empire or before,I thought it was before?
    I think that was after Rome. The Western Roman Empire was onverrun by waves of Germanic tribes who eventually formed Kingdoms after the fallof Rome and removal of the last Roman Emperor Romulus Augustulus by the German King Odoacer. After that event, the German tribes established Kingdoms over the territory of Western Europe. To make a long story short eventually Charlemange came along and from his Frankish Kingdom (another German tribe) sprang two territories that would eventually become France and Germany.

ONE....

bigboi

• Beans
    Beans

Thanks for the History lesson bigboi,I would have hated to try to look for all that info!

Beans

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Moxy:

Brilliant! Thanks for looking that up.

Expatbrit

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

No, unfortunately, we are studying Isaiah 1 in the bookstudy. And after this we have Isaiah 2. God help us...

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• Justin
    Justin

For the sake of those of us who no longer have access to the current WT publications, could someone please tell me if the Daniel book identified a new King of the North? Or are they just waiting for a new King to pop up somewhere?

(I realize some think Ciro's talk gave Islam this role, but what I got out of the talk was that Islam may be the part of Babylon the Great that will cause the wild beast to turn on her. Be that as it may, what did the Daniel book have to say?)

Justin

• Moxy
    Moxy

No. they dont have anymore fred franz's to venture guesses so the last few parts of the kings of north/south gets really bizarre, for example claiming that the king of north 'plundering the wealth' of the king of the south was fulfilled by russia forcing america to spend so much money on its defense budget! ha! take that! then it closes like this:

With the disbanding of the Soviet Union in December 1991, the king of the north suffered a serious setback. (lol!) Who will be this king when Daniel 11:44, 45 is fulfilled? Will he be identified with one of the countries that were part of the former Soviet Union? Or will he change identites completely, as he done a number of times before? Will the development of nuclear weapons by additional nations result in a new arms race and have a bearing on the identity of that king? Only time will provide answers to these questions. We are wise not to speculate.
    mox
  • patio34
    patio34

The typical Jdub response is Isn't this material deep?

The emperor isn't wearing any clothes!

WTBS: Quit peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
  • ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

King of the North = Christianity (including Jdud)
    King of the South = Islamic

That is what comes out of numbers crunching of cultures and history of their movements.

Check it out,

Norval

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit