How Come I Rarely See People In Field Service, Vs The 1980-1990s Doing House2House?

by Bubblegum Apotheosis 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Field Service hours have hit new records each year, but I am seeing less people working the territory. Where is all the time spent, that people are putting in the Field Ministry? It's been close to ten years, since I have seen people working certain territories. Where do you think all the time is spent, do you see JWs out in force, the way the past "generation" hit the House2House ministry? Are they counting "drive bys" as time?

A bit more of a qualification, there are territories where people don't see JWs, even though it's claimed the territory is worked every three months. One householder told me, "I have not seen you people for years, I thought you quit!"

• biometrics
    biometrics

Becaues they're now more creative with how they go witnessing. Bible study with family, email, commenting on You Tube ... all make up hours in the ministry.

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

I've also noticed this BA and many friends have asked if they have given up as well.

Before we split in mid90's my wife told me that there would come a time when the field service would come to an end and when that happened I would have to make my own way to the KH, as by that time time would be very very short.

She also told me that I was the devil incarnate.

I haven't seen a proclamation the big A is happening tomorrow though.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

more houses are being built, population is growing way faster so JWs that cannot keep it up like they did in the 1980-1990s. Thats my answer.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Not in my area Lama, I live in a rural area where building is strictly controlled, so we have had few new dwellings in my old Congregation's territory, and there are more active JW's, moved in mostly, but more of the buggers.

Not so many years ago they got round the whole area in 3 months , now it is 9 months, without doubt here there has been a slow down, quite what it is due to I don't know, they couldn't possibly have started walking any slower than they did !

I would guess that it is a lack of enthusiasm, perhaps some have stopped pioneering, and just maybe they have been exhorted to actually engage householders in a proper conversation ? nah, probably not. Not many of 'em capable of that.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

The House2House was the trademark of JWs, not Youtube videos. It's hard to find cargroups that want to work the door2door, instead time is spent

wasting time, being as inefficient as possible (Pioneer Shuffle) and avoiding talking to people. It can be a challenge to find a volunteer for a part, one

who "had a good experience talking with a householder" so, we have to create experiences from a different time period. Back to the main thought, I don't see them out, like

they use to be, with steel toed boots, big bookbags and a zealous smile. The more you beat a dog, the slower it responds to your voice, the constant

call for relentless preachers, is falling upon deaf ears?

• biometrics
    biometrics

How about this theory. The sprit directs Jehovah's Witnesses to avoid apostates, and thust you never see them.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

They did my road on Saturday, I was driving home and saw a group of maybe 8 or 10, mostly teenage girls standing on the corner. They finished the long road 20 minutes later so clearly no-one was interested. It's the first time in years I've seen them though. I used to get mormons call more frequently or charity workers wanting donations which is probably quite unusual for the UK.

In my old territory we used to cover it consistently every 6-9 months for 20 years, however given that not homes were done twice, it might have seemed as though we called every few months.

mmxiv

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Field service it is going the way of prophetic fulfillments in general: More and more invisible.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I think that part of the reason is that JW's are really worn out, and they are only going through the motions so as not to appear "Weak". I hear that many of them are on antidepressants too which only causes them to not feel, but rather just trudge along. Very sad. I make it a point to not "Hate" JW's (unless they are child abusers, etc), rather I feel very sorry for them as they are so misguided. The WTBTS is a different animal altogether...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit