Message at yesterdays assembly

by isaacaustin 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

A relative of mine was at the assembly yesterday and was appalled at the message givien before lunch:

She heard them blast higher education…then warn to not miss meetings for work…then they gave the stupidest illustration I ever heard- they said that it is true that supporting your family is important…but not to give it too much importance and said it is like trying to cross a busy street. They said if you see a car a long distance off it is ok to cross, if you are too careful you will never cross the street. We don’t need to be too careful, or too far-sighted as far as supporting our family.

• designs
    designs

Isaac- thanks, the GB just need to keep blabbing their mouths and more and more will make each Assembly their last. When I heard David Splane live 12 years ago it was my last assembly.

• out4good3
    out4good3

This coming from a group of old geezers who have 7 million people tending to their every need. They are so out of touch with reality!!!

That would have been a WTF moment for me where I'd have given my wife the .

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not missing meetings for work? What a bunch of rubbish. If it really was the truth, I could take a year or so off, work to acquire a huge fortune in precious metals (that will never become toilet paper or rubbish), and then, once I am set for life, I can resume almost without missing anything. It would be like quitting riding a bicycle for a while and resuming--after a little practice, you would be right back on.

Supporting your family like crossing a street? Yes, you need balance--but attending boasting sessions and pious-sneering is not the proper balance. People are better off attending boasting sessions and field circus up to the point where the marginal cost of doing the next unit just starts to exceed the marginal benefit of the next unit. And if that point is reached at zero, then zero it shall be.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Fortunately, most young people are ignoring them.

Doc

• garyneal
    garyneal

I hope my wife will largely ignore this, or at least bracket it in her mind. She is trying to finish college and is beginning to realize the importance of a good education and a good paying job as we are struggling financially. I can't imagine how life would be if I were one of them window washers or janitors.

• Mary
    Mary
    She heard them blast higher education...then warn to not miss meetings for work...

I'm seriously considering going to an ASSembly with a recorder so I can upload in on here. I hate the thought of doing it, but I think it's beneficial for people to hear just how crazy the Organization is getting.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Talk like this may wake some of them up. It used to make me mad when Bethelites tell you how you don't need to work...

• dinah
    dinah

So, they want you to try and find a job with flexible hours so you can pioneer and not miss a single meeting? If you only have a high school education or less the only job you're going to have is in the service industry which requires usually nights and weekends.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

One of the things that has made me sad is the sight of a 17-year-old, bright, just at the start of his life, being continually dissuaded from any kind of higher education so that he can pioneer and eventually go to Bethel "where they get a far better education than anything the world has to offer" said my pioneer study conductor.

Tragic. His father's an elder and he's a pet of all the pioneer sisters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit